Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2005 8:19:23 AM EDT
edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/04/britain.redcross/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN) -- British prison officers who wore a St. George's Cross tie-pin have been ticked off by the jails watchdog over concerns about the symbol's racist connotations.

The pins showing the English flag -- which has often raised hackles due to its connection with the Crusades of the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries -- could be "misconstrued," Chief Inspector of Prisons Anne Owers said in a section on race in a report on a jail in the northern English city of Wakefield.

The banner of St. George, the red cross of a martyr on a white background, was adopted for the uniform of English soldiers during the military expeditions by European powers to recapture the Holy Land from Muslims, and later became the national flag of England.

A section on race relations in Owers' report said: "We were concerned to see a number of staff wearing a flag of St. George tie-pin.

"While we were told that these had been bought in support of a cancer charity there was clear scope for misinterpretation, and Prison Service Orders made clear that unauthorized badges and pins should not be worn."

As one of her formal recommendations Owers said: "Staff should not wear unauthorized badges or pins."

Chris Doyle, director of the Council for the Advancement of Arab-British Understanding, said Tuesday the red cross was an insensitive reminder of the Crusades.

"A lot of Muslims and Arabs view the Crusades as a bloody episode in our history," he told CNN. "They see those campaigns as Christendom launching a brutal holy war against Islam.

"Muslim or Arab prisoners could take umbrage if staff wore a red cross badge. It's also got associations with the far-right. Prison officers should be seen to be neutral."

Doyle added that it was now time for England to find a new flag and a patron saint who is "not associated with our bloody past and one we can all identify with."

Apparently tolerance is now a one-way street.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Doyle added that it was now time for England to find a new flag and a patron saint who is "not associated with our bloody past and one we can all identify with."

what a fag
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Shockingly enough... I am fed up and don't care anymore about these fuckers... Whaaaa, I am soooo offended.... whaaaa...

One day, soon I think, the world is going to have a dramatic change and these fags will be left holding the bag... the one full of their self-loathing, hatred, spite and weak-will.  Their time is limited.  As long as myself and my loved ones are OK, that is all I care about.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Humpty Dumpty would make a smashing PS.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If you burn a koran in the jailhouse, they won't notice the flag pins.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I'm pretty offended at the untold thousands slaughtered in the jihads, and the subjugated, abused people who lived as dhimmis under islamic rule.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Apparently tolerance is now a one-way street.

It's been that way ever since "multi-culturalism" and "political-correctness" entered our lives ('bout 20 years). Liberals beat the drum of "tolerance" and to them it means that we will all accept their insane mutterings as fact and truth, while keeping our beliefs to ourselves. It's been this way for a long time. The Jane Fonda's of the world are very close to acheiving full powers. We will see a lot more of this UPSIDE-DOWN reality. Hold-on for a wild ride!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I know some folks on a small island just to the west  that aren't too happy at the sight of an English flag either

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#9]
It's their country and they should be allowed to show their flag and national pride whenever they want

Mark
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I know some folks on a small island just to the west  that aren't too happy at the sight of an English flag either

Manchester United Football Club?

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#11]
>sigh<

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Chris Doyle, director of the Council for the Advancement of Arab-British Understanding, said Tuesday the red cross was an insensitive reminder of the Crusades.

WTF!!!???

"Council for the Advancement of Arab-British Understanding"

UNreal.   Just unreal.

I cannot, and do not, want to imagine what this world will be like in 100 years.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#13]
" Is that a St. George's Cross pin on your uniform!

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

WTF!!!???

"Council for the Advancement of Arab-British Understanding"

UNreal.   Just unreal.

I cannot, and do not, want to imagine what this world will be like in 100 years.

CMOS

Their asshat webpage www.caabu.org/

Boy Doyle:

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Amazing, its groups like this, supposedly "innocently" asking for tolerance and understanding, undermining historical and cultural symbols, getting recognition for their holidays, insinuating THEIR culture into others and making it dominant, and then waging an all out jihad against the host culture in order to usurp and transmogrify (I love Calvin & Hobbes) the culture into their own....

It starts small, it ends with your head on the chopping block, notwithstanding the opinions of certain and numerous apologists.

We may be doomed....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#16]
They're still sore over the Crusades? holy hell they started over 900 years ago!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Hope the libs aren't reading this one... they might try to replace the "bloody" red stripes of our flag with pink.

People apparently have way too much time on their hands and aren't devoting enough of their pent up emotions to their own concerns and business.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They're still sore over the Crusades? holy hell they started over 900 years ago!

That's because they didn't dominate the world afterwards. They're just jealous that their great-great-great-grandfathers and all generations through today were surpassed by Christians and Jews.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Manchester United Football Club?

www.unitedflags.co.uk/images/football2.gif

lol...no.  You can keep Man U...as long as I've got me Bhoys, I'm happy.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#20]
oopsie....double post.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#21]
They also asked the British government to stop the official recognition of the Holocaust, which gives new meaning to the word "chutzpah".  Apparently that offends them too, though it's hard to understand why.  Maybe they just dont want any sympathy or guilt from the Europeans towards the Jews, lest it remind people why Israel was founded in the first place.  Or maybe they just want less competition in the victimization game.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#22]
GIMME A MOTHERFUCING BREAK!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I am sure the French will let them borrow their flag.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Fuck em.

I may have to get a St. George flag when European Cup season hits.  The only time I'll root for a foreign country is when the Brits are wiping the floor with other Euros.  The flag is a source of pride for them, and anyone who has been in English Pubs during soccer season is going to end up singing and waving a flag too.  

To whiny rags:  Piss up a rope and do a headstand to clean up the mess.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Fuck 'em.

If you don't like the country, you can always go back to where you came from or where blessed sharia is the law of the land.

Assholes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe the christians used the symbol... but that style of cross was a pagan symbol loooong before the crusades.........

what a bunch of azzhats.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Man! You beat me to it!
A quick true story:

Me da was a 30 yr+ navy commander & 1st Generation Irishman. We lived in the Panama Canal Zone.

Me ma says: "Bill, the Queen is coming through the canal today. Are you going to take the kids down to see her?"

He replies while never lowering his paper: "I wouldn't cross the street to see that woman."

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#28]
sMy Grandfather was the same way.   Favorite statement:  "Paddy boy, watch out for John Bull, He'll do you in!".......Would not even speak to someone English.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Fuck those fucking fuckhead motherfucking goatfuckers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Am I missing something? I thought the brit flag was the 'Union Jack'???
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Am I missing something? I thought the brit flag was the 'Union Jack'???

That's the UK flag.

This one too (Wales)

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I wish we would just take the gloves off with these rag wrappin' cocksuckers already!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

"A lot of Muslims and Arabs view the Crusades as a bloody episode in our history," he told CNN. "They see those campaigns as Christendom launching a brutal holy war against Islam.

Really..... it wasn't because we got tired of Muslims (moors) invading Christian lands and destroying Christian artifacts, Buildings, and raping and torturing people.

I want one of these pins now, I will wear it everywhere, I think I also need an Infidel T-shirt
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Fuck the Hajis! Who cares what they want, let them eat pork! Maybe they need to take their diapers off their heads and back on their asses since they want to cry about everything "western".

Feed an Al Quran to a pig today!

Deliver 1 ton of pig guts to every mosque everywhere and maybe these assclowns will begin to understand just how willing WE are to assimilate into their culture.

Al Quran... Now in TWO PLY! (Hear that son? That's a man's flush! -Al Bundy)

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man! You beat me to it!
A quick true story:

Me da was a 30 yr+ navy commander & 1st Generation Irishman. We lived in the Panama Canal Zone.

Me ma says: "Bill, the Queen is coming through the canal today. Are you going to take the kids down to see her?"

He replies while never lowering his paper: "I wouldn't cross the street to see that woman."

Reminds me of the last verse of a certain song:

"But if at last our colour should be torn from Ireland's heart,
Our sons with shame and sorrow from this dear old isle will part;
I've heard a whisper of a land that lies beyond the sea
Where rich and poor stand equal in the light of freedom's day.

O Erin, must we leave you driven by a tyrant's hand?
Must we ask a mother's blessing from a strange and distant land?
Where the cruel cross of England shall nevermore be seen,
And where, please God, we'll live and die still wearing of the green!"

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#37]
man, get over it already...

guess you'd rather have this flag flying over BOTH your piddly ass little countries???
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Muslim or Arab prisoners could take umbrage if staff wore a red cross badge

Cry me a river.

Also:  who uses the word umbrage?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
man, get over it already...

guess you'd rather have this flag flying over BOTH your piddly ass little countries???
i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/hardcorps1775/SaudiFlag.gif

Well, you obviously don't get the reference to the "land beyond the sea".  

On another note, we didn't get much of a "mother's blessing" once we got here, come to think of it.  

Hey, damnit...I want my 40 acres and a MOTHER'S BLESSING  YO, I been denied my MOTHER'S BLESSING.  Where Jesse at???
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I thought you might mean my idiot neighbor up the street married to the Cajun, sho thought my Union Jack was a Confederate flag.  "Ummm NO, it isn't."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top