Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2005 7:08:04 AM EDT
say you were going to buy a gun, and the guy selling it says "its full auto/14" BBL./..." and you agree to buy it, but none of what he said was true.

do you go to jail for "thinking" about "possibly" breaking the law?

you meet some 30 year old chick at a bar, she says shes "17"

do you go to jail for "thinking" about "possibly" breaking the law?

how do people goto jail for thinking, but not doing?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd arrest you for not knowing what a capital letter looks like, and also for using "u" instead of the difficult to type "you".

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'd arrest you for not knowing what a capital letter looks like, and also for using "u" instead of the difficult to type "you".

Brutal… funny but brutal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Same reason that "conspiracy to commit murder" is a crime - the police don't have to wait until you actually kill someone to arrest you.  If there is evidence that you are about to murder someone, you can obviously be arrested.  Same goes for things like prostitution, illegal arms sales, drug transactions, etc.

In the case you describe you will go to jail for knowingly INTENDING to break the law.  If it's a sting operation, sure you don't actually break it - but the fact that you would have in "reality" shows that you are a law-breaker, I guess.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

how do people goto jail for thinking, but not doing?

They don't.

Aren't you supposed to be in school today?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Is there something you want to tell us about?  

You can come clean now, what did you get arrested for "not" doing?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Same reason that "conspiracy to commit murder" is a crime - the police don't have to wait until you actually kill someone to arrest you.  If there is evidence that you are about to murder someone, you can obviously be arrested.  Same goes for things like prostitution, illegal arms sales, drug transactions, etc.

In the case you describe you will go to jail for knowingly INTENDING to break the law.  If it's a sting operation, sure you don't actually break it - but the fact that you would have in "reality" shows that you are a law-breaker, I guess.

Look at it the way my wife does.  (Regarding my cholesterol diet)

Now,  I can THINK about a Wendy's double bacon cheeseburger all day long and the wife won't get pissed off.  

It's when I PREPARE or ACT on that thought, (pulling into the drive thru and rummaging in my wallet) Than all hell breaks loose.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You can come clean now, what did you get arrested for "not" doing?

Not Cleaning his room, or taking out the trash.

Charges are still pending for NOT doing his math homework.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Now,  I can THINK about a Wendy's double bacon cheeseburger all day long and the wife won't get pissed off.  

It's when I PREPARE or ACT on that thought, (pulling into the drive thru and rummaging in my wallet) Than all hell breaks loose.  

You can come clean - its the donuts your wife gets mad at you about.

"Is that powdered sugar on your uniform, Mister?"

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#9]
edited:  Wasn't 'thinking' clearly.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Same way you can get arrested for saying you are going to kill the president.  Every now and then police are PRO-active.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:29:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can come clean - its the donuts your wife gets mad at you about.

"Is that powdered sugar on your uniform, Mister?"

I'll let you in on a dark secret.

I HATE donuts.  For that matter, I dislike sugar  in anything.  That, plus my hatred of coffee, is probably why i've only been promoted to sergeant.

Meat, salt, bread and beans are the four major food groups.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#12]
You can't get arrested for *thinking* anything.  Ever.

It's when you ACT to try and accomplish some illegal goal that you can cross the line.  Plotting is acting, conspiring ts acting, sharing information of certain kinds is acting...

Unfortunately, just being stupid isn't illegal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#14]
If the first one was a sting operation, and you could clearly tell the weapon wasn't illegal because you have more technical knowledge than the moron trying to sell it, I don't see how they could possibly get you on anything because you know that the weapon is legal, even if he doesn't, which shows you had no illegal intent.

If they tried to say you were trying to buy an illegal firearm, just say "well, I could tell it sure as hell wasn't illegal... I just thought you were a fucking moron."
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I HATE donuts.  For that matter, I dislike sugar  in anything.  That, plus my hatred of coffee, is probably why i've only been promoted to sergeant.

Hey - sometimes you gotta take a stand, and let the chips fall where they may.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#16]
If you shoot a guy who you think is sleeping, but is actually already dead, it is still attempted murder. You thought you were breaking the law, even though you weren't. The fact that you were willing to commit  murder and actually pulled the trigger makes it a crime.

The difference here is if  there is crime for attempted violation of the NFA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top