Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2005 6:11:13 AM EDT
On saturday, First Lieutenant Bjark Olsen Kirkmand was killed by an IED in Iraq, and the two others in his recon vehicle were seriously injured.  May he rest in peace.

The attack took place around Basra, where the Danish battalion is stationed (in the British sector), and is particularly distrubing because the area has been extremely stable, with very little violence.  In face, the Danish casulaties have been extremely low so far - with virtually no fatalities to date.  

Fortunately, the Danish government had just recently decided to reinforce the Danish battalion by sending a Fennec helicopter platoon (with support personnel) to add to the battalion.  Support for the mission i Iraq is still pretty strong in Denmark, and there are no plans to reduce our troop presence there.   Yay team!  

Disclaimer - I completely realize that the Danish military presence in Iraq is trivial compared to the U.S. (and even British) presences, but given our extremely small military and our commitments in Kosovo and Afghanistan, the 500 troops we've got in Iraq is actually a very substantial part of our standing army (because we only send professionals to iraq, not draftees - and a large portion of our army is still draftees).   So this post is in no way meant to be dismissive towards the tragic American losses this weekend

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Rest in Peace, Soldier.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#2]
We value every coalition soldier, regardless of the size of their contingent.
God bless this man and his family.
Future generations of Iraqis will owe him much.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
this post is in no way meant to be dismissive towards the tragic American losses this weekend

and if any comes along and says otherwise, the line to kick his ass will be forming right behind me.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:32:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:33:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Prayers for the Lt and his family.  Thank you for keeping my family safe.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Morn your motherlands loss.  One of your losses is one of our loses in this war no matter the size of the contribution.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#7]
At least the Danes showed up, unlike the Germans, French, etc who could have sent a much more sizable force but chose otherwise. That means a lot.

Besides, I'd rather have 500 good Danish troops than all the frogs put together anyway.

BTW, I am very sorry to hear of this loss. Hopefully we can come up with some counters for these damn IEDs. If it weren't for those, we wouldn't have many casualties.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to the Danes for their help and especially, their sacrifices.

May they all come home safe... And if that's not possible, may God bless them and keep them.

(we need a "teary eyed guys looking up at the Danish flag" icon)
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Disclaimer - I completely realize that the Danish military presence in Iraq is trivial compared to the U.S. (and even British) presences, but given our extremely small military and our commitments in Kosovo and Afghanistan, the 500 troops we've got in Iraq is actually a very substantial part of our standing army (because we only send professionals to iraq, not draftees - and a large portion of our army is still draftees).   So this post is in no way meant to be dismissive towards the tragic American losses this weekend

God bless the Danish soldiers fighting the good fight. And Denmark needs to get a bigger military! Your numbers are scaring me, and I'm not even Danish.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Any idea what the vehicle was? Those Eagles they drive around in are what the armoured HMMWV -should- have been.

NTM
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#11]
RIP
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
this post is in no way meant to be dismissive towards the tragic American losses this weekend

and if any comes along and says otherwise, the line to kick his ass will be forming right behind me.

www.cnn.com/interactive/specials/0009/denmark.photos/danish.flag.jpg

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is the email address of the Danish Embassy in the US.

[email protected]

In case anyone wanted to send them a letter, here is their address.

The Royal Danish Embassy
3200 Whitehaven St. N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008

I sent a letter to the Polish Consulate in LA when I learned of Polands involvement in the war. I got a reply back from the Consul General. We'll see what the Danes have to say.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Tak nemlig jeres service...   Hvil i fred
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Any idea what the vehicle was? Those Eagles they drive around in are what the armoured HMMWV -should- have been.

NTM

The Eagles are cool, but based on the picture, this vehicle was a Mercedes GD - which is usually what is used for the fast scout/recon role.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#18]
The Danes have shown great honor in joining our fight against terror.  They are a proud people who have remembered the atrocities of WWII. They now stand by us,  remembering and honoring what our "Greatest Generation" did for them in their time of need.  If all countries and all leaders showed such honor this world would be a better place.  We are greatful for their help and feel their loss as one of our own.  May he rest in peace.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top