Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 5:58:33 AM EDT
I heard somewhere that if you get a gov security clearance your NICs check will always get delayed. Any truth to that?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe this is false.

Mine are never delayed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#2]
If anything it goes faster.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:03:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#4]
They are not at all even related.

ETA: Who comes up with this stuff?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:24:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

ETA: Who comes up with this stuff?

Me.

I get delayed all the time because I have a common name, and a name that was used as an alias for one of the FBI top 10 most wanted.  I have been delayed on my last 15 firearms purchases in a row.

I just tell the gun shop I am going to be delayed before they even call.  90% of the time they ask if I have a security clearance.  I say no and tell them about my name.  Then they proceeded to tell me about how they have customers that get delayed all the time because they have a security clearance.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Never delayed.  

....and I have a clearance and also have been arrested at the U.S. Capitol for possession of ammunition.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Never delayed.  

....and I have a clearance and also have been arrested at the U.S. Capitol for possession of ammunition.

Left one in your pocket?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Interesting.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#9]
NICS, as the name implies is a criminal background check.  Which means they check a database collated by the FBI from local, state, and federal LE agencies of criminal records which would prohibit you from receiving a firearm due to state or federal law.  Here's a link:

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

Chalk that up to more BS you've heard in gunshops.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
NICS, as the name implies is a criminal background check.  Which means they check a database collated by the FBI from local, state, and federal LE agencies of criminal records which would prohibit you from receiving a firearm due to state or federal law.  Here's a link:

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

Chalk that up to more BS you've heard in gunshops.

Then why the hell can't they see I have a CCW permit and leave me the hell alone.

They cought the guy using my name almost a year ago.  A 5'4" skinny black guy, real easy to confuse with a fat white guy like myself.  Yet I got delayed last week for a rifle.  Really is pissing me off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never delayed.  

Left one in your pocket?

Twenty.  It was a heavy coat.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I would think that if you have a common name (first and last) that also happens to be the same as a goblin it would take a few minutes.  Does your state not give you a "By" due to your CCW?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would think that if you have a common name (first and last) that also happens to be the same as a goblin it would take a few minutes.  Does your state not give you a "By" due to your CCW?

No by. A "few minutes" was 13 hours for my rifle last week.

And what really pisses me off is I lived in Maryland my whole life and never was delayed.  I move to Virginia(which I like a lot better then MD), and now get delayed every time, then I got a CCW permit and still get delayed every single f'ing time.

I won't go to Gun shows on a Sunday.  I am to worried about having to drive Monday to Lord knows where to pick up my gun after my delay is up.

I have been in a gun shop with a farking loaded gun on my hip and an AR-15 in a case at my side, while waiting for the lame brain ass holes at NICs to call back and say its okay for me to have the gun I am trying to buy.

But I'm not bitter.

NICs  

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I heard somewhere that if you get a gov security clearance your NICs check will always get delayed. Any truth to that?

-Foxxz

Bullshit.

Back when I had a TS, it took just as long (not long at all) to get the NICS check. Only once did I have to come back the next day, and that was because the computers were down.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

No, I've never had a NICS delayed and neither has my buddies.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Then why the hell can't they see I have a CCW permit and leave me the hell alone.

Talk to your state representatives about having the state do the check instead of running it through the feds.

In CT my brother goes in to buy he just has to show his CCW- they call the police to verifiy it's still good - then he get's to take his gun & go home.  It seems like a nice system.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

It depends on what agency you have the security clearance through when I was active ARMY I was always delayed but as a civil service employ I have yet to be delayed. It has to do with either looking at your clearance or annotating on the clearance that an additional check is being done in some capacity.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#18]
One way around the confusion over your name is to put you SSN down.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm ALWAYS delayed (recently retired LEO) because I share an uncommon name and identical birthdate with a crook who is currently incarcerated in Oklahoma State Penitentiary, McAlester, OK.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#20]

I always provide my SSN, but still get delayed (typically 30-45 minutes) almost all of the time.

The beginning of the delays seem to coincide with a change in security clearance, but other than timing and gun dealer banter, there's no evidence of a real link that I've seen.

Does Virginia even use NICS, or do they still use the state police system that pre-dated NICS?  Remember, Virginia had instant background checks before a national system existed.

Yes, the delays are annoying.  Does anyone here have any real experiences with identifying the cause of unnecessary delays and eliminating them?

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

It depends on what agency you have the security clearance through when I was active ARMY I was always delayed but as a civil service employ I have yet to be delayed. It has to do with either looking at your clearance or annotating on the clearance that an additional check is being done in some capacity.

Govt security clearance information is NOT part of the NICs investigation.  It only searches CRIMINAL records.  The idea that a security clearance through any agency or branch affects, either negatively or positively, your NICS investigation is a myth.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#22]
No delays here.

CWO
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
One way around the confusion over your name is to put you SSN down.

Bomber

Always do.  And Always get delayed anyway.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#24]
bump cause I'm still pissed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Mine arent delayed, instant approvals every time. But then, I also have a C&R and a CCW.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I never use my SSN.  Haven't been delayed since I got my CHP.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Mine arent delayed, instant approvals every time. But then, I also have a C&R and a CCW.

Kharn

I have a C&R and a CCW as well.  Doesn't help.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Never had a NICs check take longer than five minutes.

B_S
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Way back when it did because the problems with the Clearance folks at DIS were enormous and  totally honked, which meant that if your file was "active" at DIS it hit one of the warning bells at FBI and others, and then they had to find out why you were "active" and DIS couldn't find files stacked away in the catacombs waiting to be refiled.

Almost all of those problems have been cleared up for the NICS checks, but DIS still gets BIs delayed.

Most of it was due to the files were still hard copy and not much was digitalized, and they passed around the only copies available.  Privacy and a reluctance to share slowed things down.  Now most of the data is in databases that are online and available to several agencies at the same time
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Actually, having recently gotten the clearance I've noticed if anything it's gone faster. The other times I've bought guns it took an hour or two, now it's instant.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#32]
i have had a TS/SSBI for 6 years. never any delays out of the ordinary. since i got my GA CCW theres been no NICS for me!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#33]
No one can blame you...that would seriously suck.

HH
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I got delayed one time while I had a clearance. The delay wasn't caused by the clearance though, it was caused by using NB instead of NE as the abbreviation for Nebraska. I can't remember if it was an idiot clerk improperly entering NB, or the idiot system not accepting NE. Either way, somebody needs to learn their postal abbreviations.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought my first gun on my 18th b-day -> no delay, have bought 10 or is it 11 since then, no delays . . . ever, and my name is pretty common.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Way back when it did because the problems with the Clearance folks at DIS were enormous and  totally honked, which meant that if your file was "active" at DIS it hit one of the warning bells at FBI and others, and then they had to find out why you were "active" and DIS couldn't find files stacked away in the catacombs waiting to be refiled.

Almost all of those problems have been cleared up for the NICS checks, but DIS still gets BIs delayed.

Most of it was due to the files were still hard copy and not much was digitalized, and they passed around the only copies available.  Privacy and a reluctance to share slowed things down.  Now most of the data is in databases that are online and available to several agencies at the same time

DIS changed it's name to DSS years ago.  In addition to DSS, OPM also conducts personal security investigations for DOD, depending on what time frame the PSI was initiated.  There has been a significant backlog on PSI for years.  But, there is no central adjudication authority.  DSS/OPM do the PSI and then pass it on to whatever agency, branch, or industry partner requested it.  Each branch/agency has their own adjudication authority.  The point being that until DCII and really JCAVS there was no central repository of PSI/security clearance information in the DOD, not even considering all of the other .gov agencies.  Which by the way all handle their own adjudications for security clearances.  

The only way your security clearance  would show up would be if the FBI NICS investigator checked on a servicemember's administrative records(that's where security clearance info is listed).  But, there is no way the FBI guys are going to track down the admin records of individual servicemembers.  That would take forever.  Not to mention, how would they even know if you are in the military based on the forms you fill out to receive a firearm?  They wouldn't.  The DOD supplies the FBI with criminal records for the military services.  This is what the FBI NICS investigator cross references to ensure you meet state and fed statutes to be able to legally recieve your firearm.  

Furthermore, a PSI is NOT a criminal investigation, and is thus is not even in the scope of a NICS check which is solely criminal records as the name implies.  Go the the FBI's NICS webpage, they list what is accessed for a NICS check.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't feel bad, I purchased a stripped lower a few weeks back and it came back delayed.  Three days passes...still nothing...five days....nothing....finally 9 days and I get an all clear.  Talk about annoyed.   I recently got an "Annual Permit to Acquire Pistols or Revlolvers" which in Iowa allows the FFL to skip the NICS check.  Wasn't really going to buy a handgun but...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:53:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Don't feel bad, I purchased a stipped lower a few weeks back and it came back delayed.  Three days passes...still nothing...five days....nothing....finally 9 days and I get an all clear.  Talk about annoyed.   I recently got an "Annual Permit to Acquire Pistols or Revlolvers" which in Iowa allows the FFL to skip the NICS check.  Wasn't really going to buy a handgun but...

Sorta whish VA had something like that.  Its not manditory is it?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#39]
It is mandatory to purchase any handgun, but not for rifles.  But it definately makes buying a rifle easier if you normally get delayed like many of us do.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:09:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It is mandatory to purchase any handgun, but not for rifles.  But it definately makes buying a rifle easier if you normally get delayed like many of us do.

I don't like that its mandatory.

It really is sad though, they are almost "winning".  If there was an optional "firearms license" I would probably break down and get it.  Its pissing me off that much.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:33:13 AM EDT
[#41]
FWIW- I hold a TS and have never been delayed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:33:32 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Talk to your state representatives about having the state do the check instead of running it through the feds.

In CT my brother goes in to buy he just has to show his CCW- they call the police to verifiy it's still good - then he get's to take his gun & go home.  It seems like a nice system.

My local shop here in CT, on a Sunday, said he couldn't get the check done. So he took my phone number "in case there were any problems", and still let me walk out with the rifle. I love the 'little guys'.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:59:01 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My local shop here in CT, on a Sunday, said he couldn't get the check done. So he took my phone number "in case there were any problems", and still let me walk out with the rifle. I love the 'little guys'.

Just don't mention his name.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:59:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Nope, never had an issue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top