Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 11:21:50 PM EDT
Ive always been a loyal danner owner cause they were made here in oregon and high quality comfort and
long lasting and water proff i didnt mind paying the $200 for a set  for that reason

but now they are making them overseas China and still charging about the same price .
I know China can produce some quality products but they can produce cheap crap as well.

my later pair of boot got water logged on 1 day of deer hunting they are just over a year old and soles
are also waring thin , all my last pairs of oregon made never leaked until they were over 2 years old and i beat
the shit out of them

so now i question i was looking through a discount catalog and saw bates they have the wide size and
same style that i like in danners for $100 less

should i jump ship and buy them instead of danner how are they in regards to comfort and fit , i have
really wide feet

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Danner.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:09:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Bates Enforcer Series Ultra-Lite Tactical boots

Next Generation In Tactical Footwear
30% Lighter, 35% More Flexible, 41% Heel & 18% Improvement In Shock Absorption
Whether in urban or rural terrain, Tactical Sport footwear from Bates is ready to perform. This Ultra-Lites boot are part of the Bates Enforcer Series. Ultra-Lites feature stealth technology and are 30% lighter than original Enforcer Series models. Leather and nylon uppers feature a breathable high performance mesh lining. A full cushion removable EVA footbed features shock absorbing pads for maximum energy return. Cement construction and a long-wearing rubber outsole.

Leather & Ballistic Nylon Uppers.

Mesh Lining.

Full Cushioned Removable EVA Foot bed w\Shock Absorbing Pads.

Compression Molded EVA Midsole

Oil & Slip Resistant Rubber Outsole

Cement Construction.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I've worn both Danner and Bates recently.

I paid about $150 for a pair of Danner boots, and in about 6mos the sole on one of the boots split horizontally across right around the ball of foot area.  That didn't hurt the waterproof-ness of the boot, but I was a bit disappointed since I had heard so much about Danner.

I've had issues with Bates as well.  A few years back I bought a new boot of theirs (called a SpecOps boot or some silliness) that is still to this day the absolute most comfortable boot I've worn.  But a few months after I got them, the rubberized heel split fromt he upper of the boot.  The GoreTex sock/liner-thingy could be seen, so this didn't hurt the comfort or waterproof-ness of the boot.  The sole was Vibram and lasted a long time.  I did wear the boots out in about a year.

I've owned more Bates than anything, and I will vouch for the comfort of them.  Not all of their boots are the most comfortable, but overall they are still more comfortable to wear than most other boots I've worn out of the box.  Something I've noticed with the Bates boots is that the comfort level doesn't go down as the sole wears.  The Danners I bought were much more comfortable new than they are now, the lining of the boot is so thin that I can feel the wear of the sole when I walk in them now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Matterhorn Ranger compares very favorably to the Danner Ft. Lewis I've been wearing them since 1989. Made in USA      www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7689

and heres you a coupon for 5% off orders over $99 just because I'm a good 'ol boy    www.thewinnersclub.net/US_Cavalry_coupon.html
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:51:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Acadia's Baby! Just don't get the insulated ones unless it's winter... I got the lower insulated of the two insulated models and they are uncomfortale-hot in the summer.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't buy them if they're making them in China, not a quality issue, though it sounds like it is diminishing but because they're riding the reputation that American labor helped them make while that labor is now unemployed F-em get the Matterhorns I have had the same pair for 6 years of hard use and they still don't leak , nor have they split or cracked anywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top