Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 7:46:42 PM EDT
O.K., I have my video camera connected by an S video wire to my new Dell XPS.  How do I make a digital file of the tape.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
O.K., I have my video camera connected by an S video wire to my new Dell XPS.  How do I make a digital file of the tape.

What kind of video camera... DV, High-8, VHS...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
laptop desktop?
If its a laptop the S video connection is output only.
I haven't seen many desktops with s-video inputs but there a few, are you sure its input?

What OS?
With windows XP you can use windows movie maker to import video.
On my JVC dvl-805 video cam it connects via fire wire and XP picks it up and asks if i want to import via movie maker.

can you connect it any other way?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That S-Video is indeed an output - very few cards now need to have an analog input.

If you've got a DV video camera use the Firewire output. If you've still got an old analog only video camera you'll need something like a Canopus ADVC-110 to convert it to Firewire. If you don't have Firewire you've probably got a computer so old that editing video is going to be painful.

The XPS models are Dell top end models and if you can believe think only the top end of that line has Firewire.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
My Dell Precision 530 has 1394 (aka Firewire).

My Quadro4 900XGA has what appears to be an Svideo out - but it is not. - It is a special stereo video for use with 3D goggles.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
hope you have a big HD, my short video from a trip took 30 +gig of space as an AVI
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
hope you have a big HD, my short video from a trip took 30 +gig of space as an AVI

Wow.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe DV is 13 gigs per hour.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.

well, 52 minutes total video.

Mini DV is what mine is .

ETA it was 21 gig of space. I had doubled one large file up. sorry.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I believe DV is 13 gigs per hour.

That's right, 3.6 megs per second. And DV is compressed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top