Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 6:58:41 PM EDT
Well, not so in spark plugs!  1994 GMC K1500 4wd, 350 TBI with 156,000 miles.  This set has an unknown amout of mileage on them, as they were in it at least from 139,000 when I bought it.  The only symptom of a problem was a rough idle.  Otherwise, it ran well, burning a quart every 3,000 and getting 17 mpg highway.  Note the #4 (second from bottom on left) had a larger piece of greyish deposit on the other side that fell off during handling.

I changed both plugs and wires on Saturday, and the idle is much smoother now .  I wonder how many more miles this thing has in it...

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The greyish deposit that fell off is ash from burnt oil.  I do a lot of spark plug analysis and quality control for my job, so I look at a bunch of plugs every week.  I'd say your plugs have at least 50,000 miles on them.  You can see the wear in the ground electrodes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Always keep track of what plug went where. It will tell you a lot about that cylinder.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the brown deposit from?

Do I have any that are in 'normal' condition?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The brown is also ash from oil.  The color depends on the spark plug tip temperature which is different for every culinder.  I only see 2 plugs that look close to mormal, the top right and the second on the left.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The brown is also ash from oil.  The color depends on the spark plug tip temperature which is different for every culinder.  I only see 2 plugs that look close to mormal, the top right and the second on the left.

Do you believe in the platinum type over the old style?   I was told the standard ones actually are slightly better on emissions.

What change interval do you follow?   I tend to change at least once a year -- they're cheap (at least the old style) and on my vehicle, easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top