Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 3:25:20 PM EDT
Who's seen this? I finally ordered this film after first hearing about it over a year ago ( I think on Arfcom). Supposedly top notch stuff.
Full disclosure - I posted this in the movie forum but received no responses. I would have posted it here initially but figured it would be transferred involuntarily.
Amazon reviews of "The Winter War"
Where I found it for 16 bucks
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked it up about a year ago, on a recommendation from here.

I liked it, but my dad fought in the war, so I'm probably a little more interested in the history than the average American might be.

The effects are good, lots of Soumi sub guns and Nagants.   It is all in Finnish, with English subtitles only.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
It was pretty good - some nice Suomi action as well.  Low budget, but well done regardless.  I love the whole history of the Winter War - those Finns kicked major ass.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked it.  Kind of a low budget "All Quiet on the Western Front".  Thing I liked about it (and most foreign war movies for that matter) is the comraderie of the men, and the marches the men sing when moving out.  American war movies all have the men fighting amongst themselves, and modern American cadences sound too African, or "dance like" for lack of a better term.  Nothing stirs the spirit like a chorus of voices in unison set to the tempo of marching boots.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked it a lot.  I found the subtitles a little difficult to read at time, however.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I liked it.  Kind of a low budget "All Quiet on the Western Front".  Thing I liked about it (and most foreign war movies for that matter) is the comraderie of the men, and the marches the men sing when moving out.  American war movies all have the men fighting amongst themselves, and modern American cadences sound too African, or "dance like" for lack of a better term.  Nothing stirs the spirit like a chorus of voices in unison set to the tempo of marching boots.

Uh....All Quiet on the Western Front was a budget movie....at least in todays terms.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Nothing stirs the spirit like a chorus of voices in unison set to the tempo of marching boots.

Hey dude i'll send you my collection of Third reich parade songs . Or you can download the mp3's on a '88' website.
Oh and I recommend Leni Reifenshtals "Triumph des willen" as a great movie!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out "A Frozen Hell" by William R. Trotter
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I served a church mission for two years in Finland and I'll tell you what, that's a tough bunch of people.  They did a hell of a job on the Russians under horrific circumstances.

It was always interesting to talk to old folks who were alive during the winter war, mostly widows now as the males had all died of old age and liver problems from drinking. I'll tell you what, when you think of the word "hate",  that's what those winter war survivors think about the Russians.  They HATE them.  Especially over in the Savo district in Eastern Finland where some of their long lost relatives were lost behind the iron curtain after Russia took part of the Easter edge of Finland.  

Some pretty heroic and sad stories from that time. One old widow let me hold the rifle her husband carried during the war. It was pretty early in my mission and my Finnish was pretty sketchy but he apparently killed several Russians with it and he and his group had either got stranded behind enemy lines for some time or gotten taken prisoner at one point, I wasn't too sure.  I wish I could have interviewed the rifle!

I love the Finns,  a very interesting and admirable people.  Plus their saunas kick ass!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#9]
My Mothjer brought home a Russian Boyfriend, they moved to the US when she was 5, my Grandmother...started ot chase him out of the house, then threw a cast Iron fry pan and his head...Hate is a light word for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top