Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 1:17:52 PM EDT
Greetings:

I am getting a different PC at work on Wednesday. Can just copy my TBird email to our server, then copy them back to the new PC after I install TBird on it? Can it really be that simple, or will I need to "export" and then "import" everything?

TIA, and Outlook sucks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]
never used thunderbird that much.  But most likely you will have to export the data to a file .....install Tbird on the new machine and then import the file to get your data back.   Someone will set you straight

you can put the file on a cd-r , usb storage drive, zip drive etc
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
IMAP is your friend.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I found it here, the Mozilla FAQ, of all places.

Backing up your profile

Backing up your profile folder in Thunderbird is easy. Just follow these steps (which assumes you know how to manage files on your computer):

1. Shut down Thunderbird completely (File > Exit).
  2. Make a copy of your profile folder to, for example, a CD-RW disc or a separate hard disk for backup purposes.

Move an existing profile or restore a backed up profile

It's possible to move the location of a profile folder. This could be useful if you have a backed up profile folder somewhere on your hard drive and want to tell Thunderbird to use that as your profile. This section explains how to do this.

1. Shut down Thunderbird completely (File > Exit).
  2. Move the profile folder to the desired location. For example, on Windows, move the profile from C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default to D:\Stuff\MyMailProfile. If you are reading these instructions because you want to restore a previously backed up profile, this step isn't necessary. Just note the current location of the profile you want to restore.
  3. Open up profiles.ini in a text editor. The file is located in the application data folder for Thunderbird:
         * On Windows XP/2000, the path is %AppData%\Thunderbird\
         * On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Thunderbird\
         * On Linux, the path is ~/.thunderbird/
         * On Mac OS X, the path is ~/Library/Application Support/Thunderbird/
  4. In profiles.ini, locate the entry for the profile you've just moved. Change the Path= line to the new location.
  5. Change IsRelative=1 to IsRelative=0.
  6. Save profiles.ini and restart Thunderbird.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top