Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 12:17:31 PM EDT
Just returned from spending a week down in southeast Texas after Rita hit.  Was working 14 hrs a day down there in some of the nastiest conditions I have ever experienced.  Beaumont seems to be recovering but many of the smaller towns are pretty devastated.  Conditions are primative at best, no water, electricity, or sanitation.  Long lines for gasoline or supplies.  Many roads are not passable  or only  enough room for one way traffic.  Garbage and rotting vegetation everywhere.  

Parents' neighborhood in orangefield was practically destroyed.  So many large trees, telephone poles, electrical towers are down that pictures and words can't describe it.  Imagine if God decided to smite anything over 15 feet high and you get the idea...

I took tons of pics but honestly will need a few days to recover before making a detailed post.  We worked for 2 days cutting trees just to reach my parents house.  Then spent another 4 days pulling trees off of and from inside my parents home.  Body is covered in blisters, bruises, cuts, and enough bug bites to last the rest of my life.  

EPOCH

ETA: if you've never used a chainsaw INSIDE your own home, remember to wear hearing protection...

My Parents' Neighborhood and Home...

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Man, I'm so sorry to see that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Poor jeep.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:10:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#5]
is right.  That is one huge tree up rooted!  Patty
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow.  I'm sorry to see such damage at your folks place.  Everyone OK?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wow.  I'm sorry to see such damage at your folks place.  Everyone OK?

Yeah, everyone was ok.  Left town before the storm hit.  Just lost property and my childhood home will never look the same.  No trees left anywhere  Kinda like a praire now

EPOCH
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, look on the brightside: plenty of firewood!  Wait...south Texas....warm weather....never mind.
What a mess!  Looks like the boat motor survived at least!  Sorry for your loss, good luck putting the place back together.

Maybe Texas could export firewood?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top