Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2005 12:08:16 PM EDT

Marine EOD tech who was blown up by an IED.  He didn't want any insurgents thinking he was the kind of pussy who needed a stretcher after getting blown up, so he stood up, gave them the one finger salute, and walked into the ambulance.

Full story here.

Hopefully not a dupe.  I searched back two weeks.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Even badder:

Burghardt, 35, wouldn't accept painkillers when he was brought back to camp by the Nebraskans. He knew he might need them later. And he's not looking to leave Ramadi for five more months.

"I don't want a ticket out," he said. "I want to stay here so we can take as many people home as possible."

God bless you sir!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Get some!

CMOS  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys got BRASS BALLS.
Salute.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I need to buy that EOD tech a beer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#6]

WHOS THE MAN
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, OOORAH!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
F you very much, wussy insurgent turd burglar.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
That picture on the front page has earned us a week of letters in the public pulse because "children may see it."
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Give that man  a beer.
And a pair of pants.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#11]
clearly they had to photoshop out his huge titanium balls!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
 Hopefully not a dupe.  I searched back two weeks.

Screw any dupe callers.

This should be posted EVERY day.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
1 REALLY bad ass, I'd take him on my team anytime ! ! ! !
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Children SHOULD see it.  I am going to make sure my 10 year old sees it when I get home.  Maybe it will help him appreciate school, playstation, his .22, and his parents and country.

This Marine stands for every reason why we will keep those assholes in the Stone Age for as long as we want.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess Odin decided he coulod stay here a litle longer.

Seems Burghardt translates roughly to "Badass"  

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd love to give him the opportunity to meet the fucker who made the bomb.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Most accurate post of the day.

vmax84
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Out fuckin' standing!

Proud & able to do what others can't do for themselves.

This man is Hero material... will CNN show it? Hell no. Liberal bastards. They'll show us having our heads cut off, but won't show our true spirit and will to win.

/Buy this man a beer... and give him a medal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Straight from the sheeple's mouth.

An unwise choice

I was really surprised by the photograph on the front page of the Sept. 24 World-Herald.

While I think it is great that a U.S. Marine was defying his attackers, I believe that a picture of a soldier with his middle finger displayed like that does not belong on the front page or on any other section, for that matter.

I realize that we live in a society that seems to think profanity is normal. But to me, that kind of language or behavior is not normal.

People of all ages read the paper, and kids will think that this action is OK.
Jeff Conkling, Papillion

A coarsening of culture

I hope this note is one of many that The World-Herald receives about the photograph of the wounded soldier gesturing to his attackers on the front page of the Sept. 24 paper.

Regardless of whether this expression was deserved by the insurgent forces, the decision to run this picture where it could be seen by a whole community, including children and youth, showed appallingly poor judgment.

By doing so, The World-Herald has advanced the coarsening of our culture.
The Rev. John Sproul, Omaha

Photo was not fitting

I was appalled by the photograph that ran on the front page of Saturday's paper. The caption said that the Marine in the photo "signals defiance at his Iraqi attackers." What I saw in the photo was an obscene gesture.

I wonder how many parents who get The World-Herald want their children to think that giving someone the finger is simply an act of defiance.

The words signified by this gesture aren't printed because they are obscene and not appropriate for a newspaper.

The World-Herald should be consistent in what it chooses to publish and leave obscene gestures out of the newspaper.
Jim M. Hayes, Omaha

Be more responsible

I would like to register my concern and shock that The World-Herald would print the photograph shown on the front page of Saturday's paper.

This "signal of defiance" has no place in this publication. I was embarrassed to have The World-Herald in my home.

Regardless of one's thoughts regarding the war, Iraq or the Iraqi people, there are more responsible ways of delivering the news.
Peg Pearson, Omaha

I'd just tell my kids that it's perfectly appropriate to display their middle finger to terrorists after they injure you with a cowardly roadside bomb.  Any other time it's unacceptable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd like to buy him a bottle of whatever he drinks.  

I'd like to bitch slap every liberal I know, starting with her.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An unwise choice

I was really surprised by the photograph on the front page of the Sept. 24 World-Herald.

While I think it is great that a U.S. Marine was defying his attackers, I believe that a picture of a soldier with his middle finger displayed like that does not belong on the front page or on any other section, for that matter.

I realize that we live in a society that seems to think profanity is normal. But to me, that kind of language or behavior is not normal.

Jeff Conkling, Papillion

A coarsening of culture

I hope this note is one of many that The World-Herald receives about the photograph of the wounded soldier gesturing to his attackers on the front page of the Sept. 24 paper.

Regardless of whether this expression was deserved by the insurgent forces, the decision to run this picture where it could be seen by a whole community, including children and youth, showed appallingly poor judgment.

By doing so, The World-Herald has advanced the coarsening of our culture.
The Rev. John Sproul, Omaha

Photo was not fitting

I was appalled by the photograph that ran on the front page of Saturday's paper. The caption said that the Marine in the photo "signals defiance at his Iraqi attackers." What I saw in the photo was an obscene gesture.

I wonder how many parents who get The World-Herald want their children to think that giving someone the finger is simply an act of defiance.

The words signified by this gesture aren't printed because they are obscene and not appropriate for a newspaper.

The World-Herald should be consistent in what it chooses to publish and leave obscene gestures out of the newspaper.
Jim M. Hayes, Omaha

Be more responsible

I would like to register my concern and shock that The World-Herald would print the photograph shown on the front page of Saturday's paper.

This "signal of defiance" has no place in this publication. I was embarrassed to have The World-Herald in my home.

Regardless of one's thoughts regarding the war, Iraq or the Iraqi people, there are more responsible ways of delivering the news.
Peg Pearson, Omaha
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Jeff Conkling, Papillion

Believe me, Jeff.  No matter what age you are, you are allowed to give the one-finger salute to those that tried to blow you up.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That picture on the front page has earned us a week of letters in the public pulse because "children may see it."

Children ought to see it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Believe me, Jeff.  No matter what age you are, you are allowed to give the one-finger salute to those that tried to blow you up.

- BG

Lemme search my Bible, cuz I think even mooning may be OK.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like the only people who have a problem with this is people from Omaha.

Well, screw Omaha as well.

That's pretty hardcore getting yourself blown up then getting up out of the cloud and dusting yourself off.

Kind of like the US mil guy who got shot in the mouth by an terr with a 9mm and the bullet just knocked his tooth out. I bet that tango thought he ran into Superman.

Outstanding and an awesome good job. We need more like him.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#28]
There is nothing this man did (the finger) that even remotely approaches the profanity of what Saddam's regime has done to the people of Iraq.   9-11 was profane.   What Islam has done to its own people and the rest of the world is profane.

The gesture is appropriate.  

We need more men like this, and fewer of the pansy ass liberals that are trying to undermine this country.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#31]
AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I have one big ass smile on my face right now.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Sent this fine Marines picture to the address book!

Everyone needs to see this

Dram out
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I assume the man "clanks" when he walks...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Mabey if a few libs got blown up over there, they would understand.  If you won't go then STFU!
I just hope I can have the balls nessesary when the time comes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#36]
What kids read the newspaper? Good for the soldier and the paper for putting on the front page!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I love that shit...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I agree with not publishing the obscene gesture.
I mean we wouldn't want to offend anyone or hurt somebody's feelings, now would we?

Fuck them!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#41]
bad ass Devil Dog!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Jeff Conkling, Papillion

- BG

+1
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
That is fucking outstanding. I am in awe.

as always, you're succinct and to the point...  big +1 here
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Semper Fi, Marine!

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeff Conkling, Papillion

- BG

+1

That saying should be carved in stone somewhere.  

That Marine should never have to buy himself a drink ever again.  I am PROUD of that man.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#47]

From the article

"I knew there was somebody disappointed out there."

-Gunnery Sgt. Michael Burghardt

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Not that is what I call STAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top