Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 8:27:58 AM EDT
We're having an in class debate today, with the topic being "Should rich countries help poor countries."  We must prepare to argue both sides of the issue, and I cant for the life of me think of any examples of the USA giving aid to another country with a positive outcome.  The whole tsunami thing was the most recent thing I can think of, but your only kidding yourself if you think all the countries affected are now prepared to handle a rerun without needing massive foreign assistance again.  From what I can tell foreign aid to the 3rd world is mostly squandered by corrupt leadership.  Are there any examples of the USA helping another country get on its feet, so that it became self sufficient and didnt need to keep asking for help?  Post WW2 Japan is borderline, since their major cities didnt exactly start out as piles of rubble.  South Korea is another borderline example.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
well I wouldn't say that to be true, look at the aid we gave west Germany after WWII in comparison to the aid they received in East Germany.

Look at Japan after WWII.

It depends on the type of aid and the group of people receiving it I guess.  To take something unearned is to sow a seed of lust and laziness.  To accept a seed of hope and sow it into a better future is to farm freely.

Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top