Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 6:05:30 AM EDT
I need to get an Air bed because the place I moved into I can't get a normal sized bed into.  

I am going to be using this air bed everyday and I need it to be a "full size" to fit the sheets I alrready have.  Do any of you have any sugjestions on what to get or what not to get?  I would not like to spend a lot of money but I would like something of good quality.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean a normal sized bed is too big for the room, or the entry way is to small to get a bed through?

You could always take it apart, move the parts into the bed-room, then put it back together.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I slept on one made by Ozark, Got it from Wally World and it held up for 6+ months until I stopped using it. I think it was in the 30 dollar range or so
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Air mattresses are not comfortable, PERIOD!

I would rather sleep on the floor.

Maybe you could fit a mattress through a window?  Or look at a memory foam mattress.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I slept on one made by Ozark, Got it from Wally World and it held up for 6+ months until I stopped using it. I think it was in the 30 dollar range or so

I did this for about 3 months,,

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I slept on an air mattress for a year and a half straight.  Then I gots me a real bed, and my back has been ever grateful.

Seriously, they're not that bad.  Definately put one of those egg crate foamies over it, and it may help (something I failed to do).  You'll probably need to inflate once a week or so, at least I did.

The one I have was the el cheapo from Wal-Mart.  One of my buddies from college had a real nice one at his place that I used for a weekend.  I think they got it from a Sharper Image or Hammacher Schlemmer (or whoever they are).
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy a big hunk of latex foam.

www.foamsweetfoam.com/pricepage.htm

You could easily fit that through any door you can walk through.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a cheapo too.  It's not that bad, but I usually resort to the floor or couch.  I'm too poor to buy a real bed right now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you mean a normal sized bed is too big for the room, or the entry way is to small to get a bed through?

You could always take it apart, move the parts into the bed-room, then put it back together.

The door is too small, I thought about taking it apart, but the mattress does not fit eather.

Quoted:

Maybe you could fit a mattress through a window?  Or look at a memory foam mattress.

I dont mind air mattresses, and the floor is wood and I could not stand doing that for very long.  I looked at doing the window thing to but the room only has 3 small ones.

Quoted:

WAY to much money for what I am looking at, but thanks

Thanks for the info so far, anybody else have any models they like or would sugjest places to buy...

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The door is too small, I thought about taking it apart, but the mattress does not fit eather.

Quoted:

I dont mind air mattresses, and the floor is wood and I could not stand doing that for very long.  I looked at doing the window thing to but the room only has 3 small ones.

Quoted:

WAY to much money for what I am looking at, but thanks

Thanks for the info so far, anybody else have any models they like or would sugjest places to buy...

You don't have to buy expensive bedding designed foam ... I just threw up the link as an idea.

You can most likely find a cheap hunk of hdpe foam locally that would be much more comfortable than an air mattress.

It's worth checking out.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I see your comment about the money, so this might not work,  but those "Select Comfort Sleep Number" beds come in boxes, there isn't anything big at all.  I just assembled a queen sized one yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Lot of what you buy is going to depend on extracurricular activities.  Just like the waterbeds of the old days - you get to frisky with your woman and it's gonna spring a leak.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I see your comment about the money, so this might not work,  but those "Select Comfort Sleep Number" beds come in boxes, there isn't anything big at all.  I just assembled a queen sized one yesterday.

How much are the "Select Comforts"?   What all comes with on those and what is there to "assemble"?

thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#13]
just use a regular mattress and no box spring.  the mattress can flex and fold on the way in.  You should be able to get a double in any standard doorway.  Unless your trying to get it though a prison escape tunnel, a twin mattress (and therefore two of them) should fit anywhere.  

I take a mattress on the floor over an air mattress any day.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Lot of what you buy is going to depend on extracurricular activities.  Just like the waterbeds of the old days - you get to frisky with your woman and it's gonna spring a leak.

That is why she has a "real" bed
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How much are the "Select Comforts"?   What all comes with on those and what is there to "assemble"?

thanks!

Here is a link to price out their starter level of Select Comfort beds: www.selectcomfort.com/bedConfigurator/sn3000_priceb.cfm

I got a 4000 Series queen sized.  It came in 5 boxes total.  I fit it all nicely into the bed of my roommate's Ranger.  They need total support underneath so they have an injection molded "foundation" rather than a frame.  There are support beams and then a top deck that all fits together with just a rubber mallet (for extra persuasion)  The everything else is soft sided.  

It looks like the absolute basic 3000 series with a foundation is $799.  Without a foundation it is $449 (which would be like just buying a matress).
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It looks like the absolute basic 3000 series with a foundation is $799.  Without a foundation it is $449 (which would be like just buying a matress).

Wow, that is alot for an air bed, but they do look nice...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

So have you slept on it yet? How was it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#18]
They aren't just an air bed,  there is alot more support there than just a plain air matress.

I've had it two nights so far.  I haven't had anything revolutionary, but I have been less tired in the morning .  Normally I am very sluggish when I wake up, now I just want to sleep longer.

The bed is also completely adjustable from ultra soft to nearly rigid.

If you have a wood floor, I bet you could put the matress part right on the floor if you don't mind sleeping that low.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I wish you had asked two months ago - I had several dozen of them I would have sold you CHEAP. They're gone now.

I have one at home - I don't remember the brand name - but when properly inflated (translation: air it up until you think it will burst, then air it up some more) it is VERY comfortable.

I'll check tonight and see what brand it is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#21]
If you're short on space, try a futon. Mine was pretty easy to get through a rather small and tricky entrance  in my last place.

Your back will thank you. I also have a real bed, but the futon is more comfortable. Except the spiders occasionally hide under it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'll check tonight and see what brand it is.

That would be cool.  Right now I am thinking of getting a coleman from what everybody is saying.

Quoted:
If you're short on space, try a futon. Mine was pretty easy to get through a rather small and tricky entrance  in my last place.

Your back will thank you. I also have a real bed, but the futon is more comfortable. Except the spiders occasionally hide under it.

I slept on a futon one time, and trust me, my back was not thanking me.  I just dont sleep good on them and they hurt.

Oh and I always had a cat that would hide under ours....
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:39:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I forgot to post this yesterday - mine is an AeroBed.

www.thinkaero.com/
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I forgot to post this yesterday - mine is an AeroBed.

www.thinkaero.com/

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top