Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 3:24:57 AM EDT
I've tried Claritin, Allegra, Benadryl, etc... and it doesn't work. I cannot find a single HEPA filter / ionizer that works 100%. There's some kind of mold/mildew that grows/falls from trees in SE MI around fall and winter. The same thing happened to me last year around this time of the year. This year, it's happening again. My eyes water/run and itch like a mofo especially at night. My skin also shows some type of allergic reaction (itchy). There's so much stuff running out of my eyes that it "seals" shut at night and I have to remove the crusty stuff. Sometimes I get "boogers" coming out from behind my eyeballs.

Any ideas? The Claritin and Allegra help alleviate Some of the symptoms within 3-5 hours of taking it, then it hits me like a hammer.

I'm seriously thinking about a gas mask. I could use it at the range to practice chemical drills ... "GAS GAS GAS! "
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:29:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You might need the shots...

I use allegra every day and it seems to help 90% of
the time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:30:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I was taking Allegra 180mg, 1 tablet every night. It knocks me out at night but when I wake up I find weird scratches over my body (I was sleep scratching). Then at work I sometimes get hammered by whatever is in the air.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:33:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I have terrible allergies. The only thing that works for me is Actifed. I only take a half a tab at a time but it works great.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Find an MD that specializes in allergies.  I've been taking the imunotherapy shots for ten years and find that they take care of 95% of my allergy symptoms.  I go to the allergist once per month and get a shot, takes less than 5 minutes.

He gave me Flonaise as well; it works better than any pill I ever used.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Try Nasonex. Doc has had me on all of the others and same as you they don't work. The Nasonex is not a 100% but it works better than the others. It takes a week or two to kick in.

If you find out what is causing it, share the info. It seems like a lot of us in the area are suffering.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]
jerry: one guy at work has the same problems as I. He has tried the nasal spray w/o any luck (not sure what he used, I'll have to ask). He also tried Allegra and Benadryl w/o any improvement.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#7]
i like th claritin D - it was a larger tablet from claritin- seemed to work very well and lasted all day- also did not make me as "out of it" as regular claritin.  I am having similar- but not quite as bad.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:24:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had year-round allergies for 25 years or better.

I've been getting allergy shots for 5 years now.
They have helped, but they take time to work.

I had surgery in February to help open up my nose.

I have found that different antihistamines work better for different allergies.

For me, the generic wal-mart brand of Chlortrimeton (chlorpheniramine) works
best, and is only about $4 for 100 pills.

I have been told that the BEST way to beat allergies is to move.

Move to a different part of the country that doesn't have those things you
are allergic to.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've had year-round allergies for 25 years or better.

I've been getting allergy shots for 5 years now.
They have helped, but they take time to work.

I had surgery in February to help open up my nose.

I have found that different antihistamines work better for different allergies.

For me, the generic wal-mart brand of Chlortrimeton (chlorpheniramine) works
best, and is only about $4 for 100 pills.

I have been told that the BEST way to beat allergies is to move.

Move to a different part of the country that doesn't have those things you
are allergic to.

I moved from NJ to MI. I hear it also takes 1-2 years before you become allergic to the new environment.

What is the name of that Chlorimeton? It's by equate? what is the product name?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:02:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Now that Clariton is over the counter, I take the generic version they sell at CVS. If I take a pill every other day, it usually seems to work fine.

You could also consider seeing your eye doctor and asking for perscription allergy eye drops.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Flonase.  (fluticasone propionate)

Once I read the directions, it really works.

I think you need scrip for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top