Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 9:01:20 PM EDT
I'm raising 90(at last count of survivors) pheasants. The males are really prone to fighting, lost six of them in the last couple of weeks. They've also managed to kill three grackles, a mocking bird and some kind of snake(I have no idea how the other birds managed to get into the pen).

My pen full of chukars next door, on the other hand, is all peace and tranquility.

Today, I go check on them and find a pheasant in the chukar pen doing his best to corner all of the chukars and kill them, I guess.  Good thing they had him out numbered.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you raise pheasants for? Do ya eat em? They're good eatin
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If cannibalism should start--you must STOP it in it's early stages or your entire project will be for nothing.  Birds released with critical feathers missing, especially the back and head feathers, will not get past the first hard rain, particularly if it is a cold rain.  If the problem starts, darken the brooder area by covering windows and doors.  Leave only enough light for the birds to find feeders and waters, but not necessarily each other.  Try hanging full heads of lettuce with a spike driven thru the center tied to a rafter or something so it will swing freely thus attracting the chicks out of curiosity and they will enjoy eating the greenery. Perhaps they'll leave their neighbor alone then.  Give them more room, even if you have to move half of them to another area.  

If all this fails, and you will know within a day or two, then you must de-beak the birds.  Each and every one of them must be de-beaked or it will do no good.  This process is very critical, especially in view of the birds being groomed for release.  This is true because the young birds will need a full beak for plucking and cracking weed seed and grains, also for catching insects.  Here is how you do it:  if you have access to an electric de-beaker, use that.  If not, a heavy duty toenail clipper will work.  Snip just enough of the top beak only, to the point of it turning pink.  DO NOT cut it so severely that gross bleeding takes place.  You may damage the nerve endings of the beak if too much is taken, to the point of it never growing back.  In any event, have a cauterizing agent available, such as silver nitrate, to stop any bleeding that occurs.  De-beaking young pheasants is an art; too little taken off will not deter the problem and, of course, too much will stunt the re-growth of the beak.  Go slow until you get the hang of it.  Catch them one at a time and as you finish one bird, put him in an area apart from the others left to do.  This will ensure that you get them all done.

link www.oakwoodgamefarm.com/pages/Tips-for-raising.html#Stop%20Cannibalism
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
They are probably a little psycho for being in a cage.  Pheasants are territorial and have plots that they protect and guard.  Especially the males or females when they are nesting.

Beautiful birds and the only wild bird that I like to eat.  

So much of their habitat has been destroyed here in Michigan that they are not so numerous anymore.  They actually had to bring in chinese pheasants because they survive better.  Their marking are different then the native ones.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Next weekend, I am taking them to my familie's ranch for release. I am probably going to seperate the fighters tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Are the males wearing blinders?  I used to buy pen raised birds for dog training and the males always came with blinders stapled to the beak.  I assumed it kept them from rumbling with other males...?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Guillotine them.

"Bloody pheasants!"

"Help help I'm being repressed!"
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Guillotine them.

"Bloody pheasants!"

It's Bush's fault. He hates blacks, pheasants. and Alaskins!

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:17:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guillotine them.

"Bloody pheasants!"

It's Bush's fault. He hates blacks, pheasants. and Alaskins!

No he doesn't!

He actually spent a summer here after he graduated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top