Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2001 9:10:38 PM EDT
Just got my $600 tax rebate check today in the mail...
It arrived about 2PM, and by dinner time I had a new Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45...

Gun is "used" but looks like it was never fired. My dealer said it was recently traded in.
Paid $499 for it...
There were brand new ones in stock for $599, but they had cheaper grips on them, and didn't look as nice as mine...
I don't know too much about 1911's, but this one looks like it has a few "options" on it...
Rosewood grips w/stainless allen head screws, Hi-gloss blueing(not flat black), and also, the barrel bushing is stainless with what looks like an allen bolt holding it in...
Is this gun anything special ???
-or-
is this the way all Springfields are put together ???  

I don't know how to get pics to show up on my posts, so the best I can do is a link to my webpage with my pictures...  

Check out:[red][url]community.webtv.net/YULLOSE/Politicallyincorrect[/url][/red]

Picture of the 1911 is 1/2 way down the page...
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
 That there allen bolt that you referred to is actually a two piece guide rod.
 You will have to disassemble the guide rod to strip the pistol. Nothing major just unscrew the guide rod and pull it out the front then strip as normal.
 The Springfield pistols seem to shoot pretty good, enjoy it.

Chuck
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the 2-piece guide rod an original Springfield part ???
I looked at another new gun, and didn't notice this...  

BTW...
I stopped by my shooting range on the way home from the gun store, and dumped 50 rounds of PMC ball and 25 Remington Golden Sabres through it real quick. It was already going on 8PM, and was gonna get dark soon.
I just had to make sure it would feed and shoot ok...
I am VERY happy with it...
Only $100 more than the piece of shit 1911 I had before...
I had a $399 Charles Daly not too long ago, that jammed on Hollow Points, and fell apart after 21 rounds...  
Returned it to my dealer within a few hours of buying it...

After hearing good things about Springfields, I figured I'd try another 1911...
...Glad I did.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#5]
 Don't quote me, but I believe that the new Springfield pistols that come "LOADED" come with a two piece guide rod. "LOADED" being Springfields way of telling you that they have added features that should be standard on a high quality 1911.

Chuck

Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Good choice!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it just me or is the custom homemade muzzle brake on that MAK-90 cocked somthing fierce? It lokos like it in the closeup. (Could be some wierd effect created by the camera.)
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is it just me or is the custom homemade muzzle brake on that MAK-90 cocked somthing fierce? It lokos like it in the closeup. (Could be some wierd effect created by the camera.)
View Quote

Definately a weird effect created by the camera...
I made and installed the brake myself, and used a special made guide rod to insure perfect alignment.
I've shot this gun numerous times, and the brake works fantastic...
I had a set screw type brake on it before, and the set screws worked loose and the bullets were nipping the inside of the brake...This prompted me to machine my own and press it on...

Also, I don't have a digital camera...I use a video camcorder, and freeze frame photos to create my webpage on the WebTV system...
This could contribute to the distortion...  
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
pretty, dragracer!

i do have one question, though, did someone wake you up to take that picture?
View Quote

No...
I just always look grumpy [:(]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice! Don't you just love it when the feds buy you guns! I myself am going to buy another lower, or an AKM of some sort. To bad I only get 300, then I could get both.

[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
...I forgot to mention, the extra money left over from my rebate check was used to calm the wife down....Boy was she PISSED !!!
I tried to tell her that the gun was for her, but that didn't fly at all...
SO...
I took her and the kids to Applebee's for dinner, and picked up a couple movies at Blockbuster on the way home...

All is well now...[:)]

A little schmoozin goes a long way...
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice set of toys.  I especially like the Camaro. SMOKIN!!!

Dave
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:27:52 AM EDT
[#13]
dragracerart, from the video I have (PA shoot) it looks like you were using your Norinco MAK-90 w/custom brake correct?  I have a nice mpg of you running through the tac course.  Just wish there was a place I could upload it so you could view it.  [:D]

Approx 16 meg file.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:55:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't know how to get pics to show up on my posts, so the best I can do is a link to my webpage with my pictures...  
View Quote

It's easier than you think.  Just right click on your photo.  Then left click on the selection [b]Copy Image Location[/b]  Paste this on your post and bracket with the img  /img code.

[img]http://community-1.webtv.net/@HH!36!1B!91B04E956D59/YULLOSE/Politicallyincorrect/scrapbookFiles/postedD90.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:42:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Where's the whining about how you got "screwed" by G.W. Bush?

Oops, wrong thread... [>:/]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:54:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the same exact gun except mine has a matte finish. I like mine very well.
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#17]
 Hi Art -
 NICE .45!  Springfield makes a very good 1911. Sorry you had to buy a POS Charles Daly and have it grenade on you.
 Don't let his expression fool you folks, he really IS a nice guy...Really!
 and dragracewife is that cute!  Good thing the kids take after her......
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:02:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice toys!!!...but all I could think of is ....poor guy, 5 women in one house!!!! Good luck when they hit the teens...LOL.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
dragracerart, from the video I have (PA shoot) it looks like you were using your Norinco MAK-90 w/custom brake correct?  I have a nice mpg of you running through the tac course.  Just wish there was a place I could upload it so you could view it.  [:D]

Approx 16 meg file.
View Quote

You are correct...It was the MAK-90 I used on the tac course, but the brake I had on it was the set screw type...The very next time I shot the gun is when the brake almost fell off...

As far as the video goes...
My cheesy little WebTV won't usually work on videos...
Pretty much limited to stills...
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By David M:
Quoted:

View Quote

It's easier than you think.  Just right click on your photo.  Then left click on the selection [b]Copy Image Location[/b]  Paste this on your post and bracket with the img  /img code.

[img]http://community-1.webtv.net/@HH!36!1B!91B04E956D59/YULLOSE/Politicallyincorrect/scrapbookFiles/postedD90.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Easier if I had a "REAL" computer...
I'm limited to a very incapable WebTV unit...Not much I can do with it...
I can't even see the picture above...Only see a gray square box.
I think the only way I can post a pic is if I found a free photo hosting site that was WebTV compatible...
Thanks for the advice anyway...
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I think everyone would enjoy your run through the course with me doing a combat camera job.  You even see me trip and stumble over that damn jerry can in the middle of the grass.  

Are there any free sites on the web capable of holding about 20 megs and allowing free downloads of files?

Someone here must have a ftp server up and running.  hint hint.  [:)]

Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, I think everyone would enjoy your run through the course with me doing a combat camera job.  You even see me trip and stumble over that damn jerry can in the middle of the grass.  

Are there any free sites on the web capable of holding about 20 megs and allowing free downloads of files?

Someone here must have a ftp server up and running.  hint hint.  [:)]

View Quote

Yeah, everyone would probably have a good laugh...
Hmmm...If the targets could shoot back at me, How many times would I have been killed ??? [:)]
...My 1st tac course...
Can ya tell?
At least I put 4-5 holes in all of them...

Looking forward to doing it again in October...Weather should be perfect...
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey Art - Very nice .45!  Sounds like you got a good deal too.

...and BTW guys, check out that MAK90 of his. He did one hell of a nice job on it.  Art was kind enough to let me rip a mag or two through it.  That brake works great, the FAL grip is a nice improvement and with the fixed tube stock the thing just looks fantastic.  After seeing and shooting his MAK90, I'm almost ashamed of my standard MAK with the bunghole stock.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hey Art - Very nice .45!  Sounds like you got a good deal too.

...and BTW guys, check out that MAK90 of his. He did one hell of a nice job on it.  Art was kind enough to let me rip a mag or two through it.  That brake works great, the FAL grip is a nice improvement and with the fixed tube stock the thing just looks fantastic.  After seeing and shooting his MAK90, I'm almost ashamed of my standard MAK with the bunghole stock.
View Quote

And Shaggy was kind enough to let met rip through a couple mags with his Full Auto M16...
WOOOO HOOOO !!! Very cool !
1st time I ever shot a FA gun...
Saving my pennies for a RDIAS now..

The FA bug bit me hard...
Damn you Shaggy...[:)]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#25]
You are my hero.

[bounce]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Great score, dude. Awesome guns and Awesome car.
Great looking family too.

Quoted:
SO...
I took her and the kids to Applebee's for dinner, and picked up a couple movies at Blockbuster on the way home...

All is well now...[:)]

A little schmoozin goes a long way...
View Quote

That's all it took? Damn she's easy. Better hang on to her. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Drats, my wife wants some furniture!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top