Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 7:32:14 PM EDT
Hello I am going to buy a rifle in the .17 calibur. I have some general questions. What is the best place online to learn about these rifles? Can a regular HMR also fire the HM2? Who makes the semi autos? I know that Ruger makes a semi auto, but who else? I have been searching online and cant find much info.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
www.rimfirecentral.com

You cannot shoot .17 HM2 in a .17 HMR.  As far as semi-autos, Ruger like you said.  Someone please enlighten me if any other major manufacturers make a semi-auto.  I am sure there are more out there but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I was looking into it.  Then I decided ammo is way to expenive...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You get what you pay for.  The .17s use a more precise based bullet since it is a bottlenecked cartridge.  The base of the bullet is the most critical element of accuracy.

Because of the higher velocity, the .17s are also flatter shooting, enabling 200 yard shots.

So, accuracy and range.  But if these do not matter, stick with a .22

The HM2 is the same case as the .22 lr but operates at a bit higher pressure.  The HMR operates at .22 Win Mag pressures and is the same length as the Mag.

As such, the HMR is good for a bit more than 200 yards while the HM2 is at its maximum at 180 yards...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all for the quick responses. That link is exactlly what I was looking for. I think I have been looking at it for a good hour now. Thanks again
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Ruger does not make a factory .17 in a semi-auto.

Marlin just released the 717 in the .17M2 and Thompson has one due to be released next month (we'll see).

You can convert a 10/22 into a .17HM2, BUT, you must purchase a barrel kit which includes a heavier bolt.  EABCO makes the most reliable/inexpensive conversion kit )barrel, bolt, etc., but Volquartsen and Magnum Research make kits as well.

You can also convert a 10/22 Magnum into a .17HMR, but it is getting harder to find the 10/22 Magnums.

Of course there are tons of bolt actions available, with Marlin and CZ being my top picks (even though I own a Ruger 77/17).

Read up over at Rimfire Central, there is some great info.

Eric  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You get what you pay for.  The .17s use a more precise based bullet since it is a bottlenecked cartridge.  The base of the bullet is the most critical element of accuracy.

Because of the higher velocity, the .17s are also flatter shooting, enabling 200 yard shots.

The HM2 is the same case as the .22 lr but operates at a bit higher pressure.  The HMR operates at .22 Win Mag pressures and is the same length as the Mag.

As such, the HMR is good for a bit more than 200 yards while the HM2 is at its maximum at 180 yards...

I like the cheap cost of .22 plinking.  
I would like to build a 9mm AR just to have one.  
Other than that if it wont set off Tannerite I don't want it. As I really have no purpose for it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I think Remington makes the 597 in .17HMR and maybe .17HM2.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think you are giving the 17's way too much credit.
I would not shoot anything larger than a ground squirrel with the 17's at more thanabout 120 yards.
They are faster but also shed velocity and energy faster than the 22's

I am not really very impressed with the 17's and believe they were a sort of fad that will die out fairly quickly as people figure out that they really are not that great.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:50:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:13:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Kimber makes a .17 1911, I'm hoping they make a conversion kit....
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:13:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think Remington makes the 597 in .17HMR and maybe .17HM2.

Remington makes the 597 in 17 HMR with both regular and bull barrels.

I think CZ may also make a semi.

R.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ruger does not make a factory .17 in a semi-auto.

I didn't think so either, but look at page 1 of this manual.

www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/18.pdf

Ruger has listed a semi-auto .17 for years in their catalog.  It is not available, has not been available and probably will not be available any time in the near future...

They are missing the chance to grab a huge chunk of the market, IMO.

Eric  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#14]
The previously linked Rimfire Central is your best bet for rimfire info.

I've had my eye on a Marlin 917V for the last month or so.  Started to buy one last week.  Just hate to buy something that will cost me $10 for 50 shots.  And only really useful on turkeys and squirrels.  Plus my 10/22 shoots minute of squirrel head, so I don't really need it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top