Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 5:07:08 PM EDT
I just bought a 16oz bottle of the stuff and I dumped some in my new Taurus and CZ75-P01 just before the range shoot and threw about 200-300 rounds down range in each gun.
The triggers and actions have smoothed up even more than I could have hoped for.
Although not as fun, can you dump it on parts and bake it in the oven to get the same results?
that is all
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been using Militec for about 3 years now and I think it's pretty good stuff.

Why do I say "I think" it's good stuff?  Well, because neither myself or the manufacturer can prove it's better than other stuff.   The only real way to PROVE a product like this would be to take 2 identical brand new firearms and shoot 10,000 rounds of the exact ammo through them with one using Militec as lubricant/protectant and the other using some other brand.

Having said that, when I get a new firearm I clean the hell out of it, wet it good with Militec, then bake it for about 30 minutes at 150 F.  Plastic parts removed of course.

It's my opinion that I should know more about Militec's long term effects/benefits in about another year.  So far, it appears to be good stuff.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it but I agree it is hard to tell if it is any better than anything else. I will say my sig 210 would not break-in until I stopped using miltec on it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I was told by a very good source that Militec bonds to the metal at the molecular level, therefore it is probably best to not use it on something that needs to be broken in.  Also, once you use it and bond it to the metal (heat and pressure) it is hard to get off.....it's in the pores of the metal.  Which means refinishing is iffy at best.  So keep it on the friction bearing surfaces only.

I tried it on my Colt AR15 Carbine at a two day class.  I applied it sparingly to the bolt rails and hammer nose only.  

After day 1, it was almost dry.
Midway through day 2, it WAS dry.
At the end of day 2, it was dry and pretty dirty.

There was still lubricity in the bolt rails, and it ran great.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll stick with the CLP.

HS1
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used it for the last couple years, and it is the only lube I will use
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been using it on several ARs for a few years now, including my competition rifle. Made a believer out of me. Thousands of rounds with no malfunctions or apparent wear.

When my son was in the middle east it was one thing he specifically asked for. Sent several large bottles of it that got passed around.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
It's good stuff. I used it in Afghanistan. It doesn't seem to collect sand as badly as CLP.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Militec has been talked about in detail in the maintenance forum. Most there will tell you it's crap and nothing more then hyped snake oil. One thing that has been proved about Militec is that it is a very shady company that has been cought up in lies and immoral marketing practices.

The main reason I do not use it is it has ZERO corrosion protection and that has been proved in lab testing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Used the little free sample they handed out...

Was good stuff. Bought more.

No, it's not a solvent or a corrosion protectant, it's a pretty damned good lube though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have used it for the last couple years, and it is the only lube I will use

+1
Its a great lube. Also the grease is pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll tell you why else they rule- free bottle shipped to you if you're a troop overseas- I got the 16 Oz! I hadn't heard about them until I got over here, but a lot of guys I've talked to want the stuff to become official issue. Seems like good stuff....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
MILITEC smells good too
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:40:09 AM EDT
[#13]
The only negative I have is it tends to stain all of my Gold Dots rounds when chambered, not my Rangers though. I use a slight coating in the barrel/chamber of my pistols.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:57:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Militec-1 is an engine oil additive. it has no corrosion protection whatsoever. It will attract dust/dirt just like any other gun oil product (even CLP). The key is to wipe off the excess (which is what you're supposed to do with CLP anyhow).

Use it if you like it. I will continue to stick with BF CLP. I just bought a few 16 oz spray bottles of CLP and they even have the MIL-L-63460 on the label. You won't find that on many products unless they "unofficially" tested their product to meet the spec.

Militec is a decent lube, but none of my firearms need lubrication to operate. I run them as dry as possible. That includes the AR-15, Vepr, and the Glock. Lubrication is for match-grade junk that will jam/malfunction in SHTF conditions. If you think it's BS, my AR-15 will cycle Wolf .223 like it's regular brass cased stuff even when completely dry.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:58:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I have used it since I got here to Iraq, its doenst collect dust and my M16 has stayed nice in clean even through about 200 rounds.

yea thats right, 200 rounds, all at a range. Maintenance MOSs dont let you see any action.

I had 200 small bottles sent over here and I ran out of them in 10 minutes, troops couldnt get enough of it. It works so much better than CLP.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:02:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's good stuff. I used it in Afghanistan. It doesn't seem to collect sand as badly as CLP.

Mainly it is a btter lubricant in dry sandy enviroments
From what I understand.  From soliders working there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:02:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I like gun butter, but thats just me. Have tried many oils but only thing that I really like.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:06:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Militec has been talked about in detail in the maintenance forum. Most there will tell you it's crap and nothing more then hyped snake oil. One thing that has been proved about Militec is that it is a very shady company that has been cought up in lies and immoral marketing practices.

The main reason I do not use it is it has ZERO corrosion protection and that has been proved in lab testing.

I can confirm the ZERO corrision protection.  I cleaned my K-31 with Militec looked great.  Several weeks later I looked down the barrel and found a light coating of reddish brown in the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:06:33 AM EDT
[#19]
4 year user here. best lube ive used..others tho seem to have  the term lube and  protectant/corrosion/rust in hibater  mix 'd up... yeah miltec dont hold a match to wd40 or clp.. but its slippery as hell even when dry and baked on.... clp  is good also i use it onthe outsides of my rifle and for a wipe or two on bolt surfaces of my bolt guns!

if you bake on  the miltec the carbon wipes right off,, makes for dirty cleaning( more rags used) but its great for keeping bores,chambers,  recivers nice and clean!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:17:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Militec-1 is an engine oil additive. it has no corrosion protection whatsoever. It will attract dust/dirt just like any other gun oil product (even CLP). The key is to wipe off the excess (which is what you're supposed to do with CLP anyhow).

That is the exact problem most troops have with CLP in the desert they over lube the weapon, you are suppose to use about a Q-tips worth to lube the weapon in the Desert, but you often see CLP pouring out of the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Militech is the only LUBRICANT that I've used on the radiused part of the AR 15 bolt that makes it easy to clean off the hard carbon deposits.  

When I clean I use a solvent in the bore, Militech on the bolt / bolt carrier, carrier key and CLP on the rest of the rifle.  Seems to work pretty good for me!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:34:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Militech is the only LUBRICANT that I've used on the radiused part of the AR 15 bolt that makes it easy to clean off the hard carbon deposits.

You mean the part where you're not supposed to use any lubricant or gun oil product? The part where excess carbon deposits do not make a difference in function or reliability?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean the part where you're not supposed to use any lubricant or gun oil product? The part where excess carbon deposits do not make a difference in function or reliability?

Yeah that part!    That's interesting, I never heard anything about not putting anything on the rear of the bolt throughout my time in the army,  NRA patrol rifle instructor's school or at 16 years as a police officer.  Maybe I just didn't read the manuals close enough!  All I know is I never had any problems and it makes the bolt easier to clean.  I know the rear of the bolt is "self cleaning" but I just don't like putting a weapon away or in my patrol car that I know has crud built up on it.  I have too much to risk.

ETA:  Page 30 of TM9-1005-319-10 relates that the outside of the bolt should be lubricated "Generously".
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Use it if you like it. I will continue to stick with BF CLP. I just bought a few 16 oz spray bottles of CLP and they even have the MIL-L-63460 on the label. You won't find that on many products unless they "unofficially" tested their product to meet the spec.

Militec is a decent lube, but none of my firearms need lubrication to operate. I run them as dry as possible. That includes the AR-15, Vepr, and the Glock. Lubrication is for match-grade junk that will jam/malfunction in SHTF conditions. If you think it's BS, my AR-15 will cycle Wolf .223 like it's regular brass cased stuff even when completely dry.

Your weapon will stay cleaner to a point dry, but then with no lube you are getting metal to metal friction and the gun is wearing out much faster then if it is lubed up well. It is a trade off, cleaner gun or longer life.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I threw some in my AR today and the bolt action was noticably slicker and easier to clean
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top