Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 9:48:34 AM EDT
I have a number of 1976 $2 bills, as well as a few of the original-style $10 (well, original to those of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's, at any rate). Are they worth anything as collectables?

I also have a few $1, $10, and $20 silver-certificate bills. What might those be worth?

I'm holding on to these primarily as keepsakes for the kids, not because I believe they'll be worth oodles later, but I'm curious. I've got $58 worth of bills beyond what I'm saving for keepsakes, and I'm wondering if I should spend them or keep them.

I also found close to $200 in Mexican Pesos. Seeing as I work in that misbegotten country, they've sudenly lost their value.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say $2 and $10

ETA I would keep thing and pass them down.  One of these days they will probably be extremely valuable.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope.
Convert them to  silver or gold.
I cashed in nearly $600 in $2 bills because as value is concerned, then are only worth 2 bucks. PUrchased a nice pile of silver dollars. I did keep a few that were consecutively numbered and a few dated 1928.

I dont know about the silver certs as I have a few as well and just thought they were cool, not of much value.

CH
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#3]
agreed, hold on to them.

I have a $10 bill from the bank of NY from 1929. one day it'll be worth $11

the older paper is getting harder to find, an the $2 bills are still in circulation, ask you bank if they have any, i bet they have a stash in the vault.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I will give you $1.50 for a $2 bill, shipped?  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#5]
The two dollar bill is worth $2, and the ten dollar bill is worth $10.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#6]
My bank always has a pile of $2 bills, I get them sometimes when I think about it and give them to my son for lunch money or use them at the store. They still make and circulate new $2 bills, you just don't see them very often. The picture on the back is my favorite over the other denominations.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would say $2 and $10

There's always one wiseass!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]
The 2 dollar bills are worth 2 bucks.. They still make them. The only reason you dont see them is that people tend to keep them because they think they are worth more.. The same thing with those new gold looking dollars. You can go to almost any bank and get as many 2 dollar bills as you want. Trust me, I work at a bank.

The tooth fairy uses 2 dollar bills in my house. The kids love them and they dont want to spend them. Its a good way to teach them to save money.

RC
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Take your $2 to Best Buy, they have a special incentive if you buy merchandise with $2 bills.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I KNOW these will be worth somthing in the future
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a number of 1976 $2 bills, as well as a few of the original-style $10 (well, original to those of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's, at any rate). Are they worth anything as collectables?

I also have a few $1, $10, and $20 silver-certificate bills. What might those be worth?

I'm holding on to these primarily as keepsakes for the kids, not because I believe they'll be worth oodles later, but I'm curious. I've got $58 worth of bills beyond what I'm saving for keepsakes, and I'm wondering if I should spend them or keep them.

I also found close to $200 in Mexican Pesos. Seeing as I work in that misbegotten country, they've sudenly lost their value.

Don't listen to any of these guys -- they're worthless.  But I'll give you a quarter for each one.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
w3.gorge.net/jasong/pictures/sd.jpg

Worth a lot less when you scratch them up though...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Not if you keep tossing them in piles, and beating the shit out of them

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The 2 dollar bills are worth 2 bucks.. They still make them. The only reason you dont see them is that people tend to keep them because they think they are worth more.. The same thing with those new gold looking dollars. You can go to almost any bank and get as many 2 dollar bills as you want. Trust me, I work at a bank.

The tooth fairy uses 2 dollar bills in my house. The kids love them and they dont want to spend them. Its a good way to teach them to save money.

RC

Strippers love 2 dollar bills for tips too.  Good conversation start.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#15]
$2 bills are worth $2
$10 bills are worth $10
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My bank always has a pile of $2 bills, I get them sometimes when I think about it and give them to my son for lunch money or use them at the store. They still make and circulate new $2 bills, you just don't see them very often. The picture on the back is my favorite over the other denominations.

Damn, now I gotta go dig mine out to look on the back.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#17]
They are worth less and less every day.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#18]
The $2 bills are worth $2 unless it's a Star note or has a special serial number like all 1's or something.  The $10 might bring a premium if Crisp Uncirculated.

The silver certifcates are worth more than face value, how much depends on their series and condition.  I love crisp uncirculated sequentialy serial numbered silver certificates
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, all old money very old that is , is worth something.

For instance.  I was passed a $5 bill some years back.  It was from 1934.  Not silver certificate mind you, but right after that. Secretary of the Treasurey was listed at JP Morganthal (Jr?,can't remember) anyways after finding a Magazine on Numismatics (the collecting and evaluation of currency of all types) I find out that the $5 bill in mint condition was valued at $40.

So yes. Although money from 67 may be worth little more than face value.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would say $2 and $10

There's always one wiseass!

Around here you're lucky if you find one person who isn't a wiseass.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Take your $2 to Best Buy, they have a special incentive if you buy merchandise with $2 bills.

Yeah, that thought had ocurred to me!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that thought had ocurred to me!

Ummm, wtf?   I'm clueless here.
There's a bar in Oklahoma City that gives you back $2 bills after you pay your cover charge.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Actually $2 bills are still printed, just not as regularly as other bills. I had one the other day that was from 1999 and ive seen some from as new as 2002. They are still printed and still legal tender. Go to your bank and ask em if they have any $2 bills.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if you keep tossing them in piles, and beating the shit out of them

Besides the fact they are all common, that is the first time I have had those in a pile. They are my staging coins..... havent made it to perm storage yet I need another handful before I stash them. I generally put them away when I get 100. That is 4 25 coin holders. The rest havent seen light in many moons....besides when they are in tubes or rolled up, me cant play wit me loot!!!!

YOu guys would probally be really mad if I showed you my collection of silver halves, quarters and dimes ... ziplock bags come to mind

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#25]
money is worth what you can get in exchange for it.

Gold and silver proponents fail to realize that gold and silver have as little inherent value as paper currency in most exchanges.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
money is worth what you can get in exchange for it.

Gold and silver proponents fail to realize that gold and silver have as little inherent value as paper currency in most exchanges.

...on the other hand some fail to realize that paper money has only the promise of return. At least with gold and silver you ALWAYS have the metal value.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I have an UNCUT sheet of $2 bills, is that worth anything?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

A trip to club fed for counterfeiting
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

some time in jail?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

some time in jail?

Nope, Sorry. I actually bought it from the US Mint 'gift shop'. They sold uncut sheets at face value. I don't know if they still do, that's why I was asking.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#31]
The treasury use to sell uncut sheets.  

I'm sure he's not going to jail.  

I collect $2.00 bills and use them my trips to Bike Week in Daytona.  You would be surprised at how many people think they're fake.    
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yes, all old money very old that is , is worth something.

For instance.  I was passed a $5 bill some years back.  It was from 1934.  Not silver certificate mind you, but right after that. Secretary of the Treasurey was listed at JP Morganthal (Jr?,can't remember) anyways after finding a Magazine on Numismatics (the collecting and evaluation of currency of all types) I find out that the $5 bill in mint condition was valued at $40.

So yes. Although money from 67 may be worth little more than face value.

Wellcome back  Ben   !!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Every 2$ bill printed since 1976,  when it was reintroduced,   still bears a series date of 1976, even
if it's printed today.  That was frozen by law,  if I remember.

Disclaimer:  I'm not 100 percent sure of that,  but I have never seen a 2$  bill with a series date
of anything BUT 1976.

CJ

There's a series 1995 and 2003 for the $2
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Every 2$ bill printed since 1976,  when it was reintroduced,   still bears a series date of 1976, even
if it's printed today.  That was frozen by law,  if I remember.

Disclaimer:  I'm not 100 percent sure of that,  but I have never seen a 2$  bill with a series date
of anything BUT 1976.

CJ

I have one or two dated 1928 and a handfull of consecutive 2003s. Disclaimers are your friend
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I would say $2 and $10

ETA I would keep thing and pass them down.  One of these days they will probably be extremely valuable.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Wellcome back Ben !!!!!

Bob

Thanks been a long time.
Bob I am trying to place you ?? I can't remember, Help me out!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
...on the other hand some fail to realize that paper money has only the promise of return. At least with gold and silver you ALWAYS have the metal value.

Ever wipe your ass on a coin?

By all means, invest as you see fit.  Please excuse me if I don't think gold is the ultimate survival currency or a profitable risk tolerant investment.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#40]
A nice old guy gave me a $2  bill from the 30's printed with red ink as a tip.  It's worth more than its face value but not much.  It's novelty makes it more valuable to me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever wipe your ass on a coin?

By all means, invest as you see fit.  Please excuse me if I don't think gold is the ultimate survival currency or a profitable risk tolerant investment.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? You wipe your ass with money? I never once said anything about survival currency. What part of the above statement dont you agree with? That gold and silver have a value measured in other then a bank promise? Or that you fail to realize it?

Lighten up gees.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Cape - get caught once in an occupied public restroom w/o TP, you learn.  ['egad, there's no smiley to express this situation!']

If the rest of the comments seems not to apply to you, personally, that may be because this is a public bulletin board with a wide variety of viewers.  I concede that you haven't made any particular comments about the end of the world as we know it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RC

Strippers love 2 dollar bills for tips too.  Good conversation start.

If you fold them right they look like a 20.00
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Cape - get caught once in an occupied public restroom w/o TP, you learn.  ['egad, there's no smiley to express this situation!']

If the rest of the comments seems not to apply to you, personally, that may be because this is a public bulletin board with a wide variety of viewers.  I concede that you haven't made any particular comments about the end of the world as we know it.

Thats a story worth telling!

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
A nice old guy gave me a $2  bill from the 30's printed with red ink as a tip.  It's worth more than its face value but not much.  It's novelty makes it more valuable to me.

is ia a gold certificate? should say right at the top center of the pic .IIRC
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I go to the bank and get lots of $2s to spend and get funny looks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top