Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 8:23:59 AM EDT

Oct 2, 11:35 AM (ET)

DUBAI (Reuters) - Al Qaeda has kidnapped two Marines in western Iraq and issued a 24-hour ultimatum to U.S. forces to release female Sunni Muslim prisoners, a statement posted on a Web site said on Sunday.

"Al Qaeda soldiers succeeded in kidnapping two Marines ... and Al Qaeda is giving the infidels 24 hours to release female Sunni Muslim prisoners ... or they (Western forces) should not bother to look for their children," the statement said on a Web site generally used by the group.

A spokesman for U.S. forces in Iraq, Lieutenant Colonel Steve Boylan, said: "I have not heard anything about any of our folks being taken. I would suspect that these are unfounded rumors, as that is what has happened in the past."

Any one hear any thing on this??  Are we going to see Sgt's dolls show up in the media in the next day or so??
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Haven't heard anything about it. If it's true,they have just made their last mistake. A whole lot of haji's will have their magic carpet ride in short order.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm, I say release the prisoners....just like the orcs did in Return of the King....

Fuckin' behead them bitches, and launch the heads by catapult to those who want them released...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#4]
If this is true, what makes you think the gloves will finally come off?  Granted, the Marines on the ground might get some revenge, but nothing will change higher-up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a good way to piss off 15K Leathernecks on the ground.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If they are allowed to to anything....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd say that the Al Ragheads that kidnapped those Marines are in deep shit.  Not one, but two?  Obviously a death wish.

I'd reckon that unless those Marines have both arms and legs broken, and are hog-tied and gaged then Al Raghead is going to have a tough time keeping them inline and preventing them from escaping.

If I were religious, I'd say I'd keep them in my prayers, but it's the thought that counts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Heard this story before....  I smell:
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't sound true to me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Hard to believe, but stranger things have happened.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#11]
So they caught two more GI Joe dolls?  

Sgtar hasnt been here in a while you know.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Wonder if they know this guy?
~Dg84
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#14]
From my 2 deployments to Iraq, I have not been on a patrol or convoy with less than a squad.  For 2 Marines to be kidnapped would cause a huge news media frenzy.  But 2 Marines by themselves doesn't sound very credible.

I hope I am right and that this is a joke.  

Max
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they are allowed to to anything....

Yeah, really....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
images.thisislondon.co.uk/v2/news/soldierAP020205_350x450.jpg

Wonder if they know this guy?
~Dg84

That wasn't Sgtar15 who did that, was it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Bullshit. If those idiots could get their hands on two Marines, they would be dumping pictures and video footage all over the world. Al Qaeda live for shit like that. They have yet to capture a real person and not make a video.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If this is true, what makes you think the gloves will finally come off?  Granted, the Marines on the ground might get some revenge, but nothing will change higher-up.

what makes you think the gloves have been on?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what makes you think the gloves have been on?

Simple......cause every "rag head" over there is not dead and we are not putting the finishing touches on the world's newest "parking lot".

Don't pick off the bad apples, just cut down the whole tree and plant a new one!!!!

Also, this story smells of B.S.

Semper Fi,
ASO544
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I think its BS too...

I think the only unaccounted GI is Marpin(?).

He was caught on film, but nothing else is known about him, or where he is.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#21]
No way a few ragheads capture two marines. They would get their butt kicked
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#22]
We should announce that if those 2 Marines aren't released alive, we will bomb mecca and medina! If they can't come up with 2 Marines, that's too bad!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Did this really happen?  Or is it just propaganda?

Al Qaida fakes a lot of stuff that the western media laps up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#24]
The sad part is when we capture the hajis we will have to give them a fair trial and execute them humanely! I say release 10,000 pissed off leathernecks on them ragheads! Drop 10 million gallons of vaporized pig lard over baghdad!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#25]
If it's true, those Marines are dead. The US government isn't going to give their captors what they want.

I dont think this is true though because the terrorists prefer easy targets in Iraq.  Read the news, they mostly go after Iraqis, not US soldiers, because they are easier and more vulnerable. And they usually kidnap unarmed Western civilians, not US armed forces personnel. Their strategy is very poor, their leaders are morons I think.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If it's true, those Marines are dead. The US government isn't going to give their captors what they want.

I dont think this is true though because the terrorists prefer easy targets in Iraq.  Read the news, they mostly go after Iraqis, not US soldiers, because they are easier and more vulnerable. And they usually kidnap unarmed Western civilians, not US armed forces personnel. Their strategy is very poor, their leaders are morons I think.

You THINK?

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Spidey sense is tingeling, I sense  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Al Qaida has got to do something, even if its made up.  They are getting their ass kicked.

Updated: 04:18 PM EDT
U.S. Offensive in Iraq Appears to Be Expanding
Al-Qaida Claims to Have Captured Two Marines
By MOHAMMED BARAKAT, AP

QAIM, Iraq (Oct. 2) - Hundreds of U.S. troops combed through a village near the Syrian border Sunday, breaking into houses and fighting sporadic gun battles with gunmen on the second day of a new offensive against al-Qaida insurgents. At least eight militants were killed, the military said.

Many residents fled Sadah village into Syria before the offensive began, witnesses said, and the 1,000 U.S. troops involved appeared to be widening the sweep into two nearby towns.

In Karabila, troops with loudspeakers warned residents to stay inside their homes for their own safety Sunday, witnesses said. In Rumana, a town on the other side of the Euphrates River, helicopters fired on several houses, sending plumes of black smoke up into the air, the witnesses said, speaking on condition of anonymity out of concern for their security.

A U.S. military spokeswoman in Baghdad said she could not immediately confirm that the offensive had expanded from Sadah to Karabila and Rumana.

No American casualties were reported in the offensive, which is aimed at rooting out al-Qaida militants the military believes have been using Sadah as a "sanctuary," closing insurgent supply routes and stemming violence ahead of Iraq's crucial vote on a new constitution on Oct. 15.

However, al-Qaida in Iraq claimed to have captured two U.S. Marines participating in the offensive and threatened in a Web statement issued Sunday to kill them within 24 hours. The statement, posted on a Islamic militant Web forum and signed by al-Qaida in Iraq's spokesman, Abuy Maysara al-Iraqi, did not include any identifying images or details.

Its authenticity could not be verified.

A U.S. military spokesman said he believed the claim was false.

"I have not heard anything about any of our folks being taken," Lt. Col. Steve Boylan, a spokesman for U.S. forces in Iraq, said in a statement. "I would suspect that these are unfounded rumors, as that is what has happened in the past."

Also, a senior military commander said Sunday he was not backing off his assessment that U.S. forces in Iraq could be reduced early next year, even though an Army general has said the number of battle-ready battalions of Iraqi soldiers has fallen by two-thirds.

Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press," Gen. John P. Abizaid did not offer a reason for the decrease in top-level Iraqi troops from three battalions to one. But he said more Iraqis are in the field at various levels of training and are participating in security operations than before.

Elsewhere in Iraq, insurgents kidnapped the brother of Interior Minister Bayan Jabr, the Shiite official who heads police forces, in Baghdad on Saturday, and the son of another top ministry official was kidnapped north of the capital, police said.

Jabr was visiting Amman, discussing ways to cooperate with Jordan against terrorism, when his brother was snatched late Saturday. The minister said Sunday the abduction ultimately targeted him.

"They wanted to pressure me," Jabr told Jordan's state-run Petra news agency.

Sunni insurgents have vowed to derail the constitutional referendum and have launched a wave of violence that has killed at least 202 people - including 15 U.S. service members - in Iraq in the past seven days.

Two U.S. soldiers were killed by explosions while on patrols Saturday - one in Baghdad and another in Beiji, 155 miles north of the capital, the military said.

At least 1,935 service members have died since the Iraq war started in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count.

In new violence, two Iraqis were killed Sunday in drive-by shootings - a businessman in Baghdad and Iraqi soldier in Karbala, 50 miles to the south, police said.

Police also found the bodies of four Iraqis in three different areas of Baghdad on Sunday, with their hands tied behind their backs. Suspected insurgents often kidnap and kill Iraqis, dumping their bodies in isolated areas - and Sunni Arab leaders accuse Shiite death squads of doing the same to Sunnis.

The U.S. military reported that a 60-year-old Iraqi detainee who fell ill at Abu Ghraib prison died of a heart attack during surgery there.

The assault on Sadah, called Operation Iron Fist, was the fourth large U.S. offensive near the Syrian border since May. But the militants running rampant in large parts of western Iraq have proven difficult to put down, fleeing in the face of the assaults, then moving back in after the assaults end and the bulk of troops withdraw.

On Sunday, insurgents hiding in houses fired sporadically on U.S. troops in the street from time to time but Sadah largely was calm, said residents in the village eight miles east of the Syrian border.

On the offensive's first day, troops destroyed several car bombs and at least one roadside bomb, and there were two clashes with gunmen, the military said Sunday in its first detailed report on the operation.

Insurgents drove two vehicles toward a U.S. Marine position, dismounted and began to attack with small-arms fire, the military said Sunday. One vehicle was found to be rigged with explosives. The battle left four insurgents dead, the military said, and a fifth surrendered.

North of Sadah, U.S. forces killed three members of the al-Qaida in Iraq insurgent group after they attacked a U.S. checkpoint with small-arms fire, the military said.

Another militant was killed when a U.S. Cobra helicopter destroyed a vehicle after its driver fired on a Marine position with a rocket-propelled grenade, the military said.

The Cobra also destroyed a second vehicle believed to be carrying grenades, but the vehicle's driver and passenger escaped, the military said.

Sadah, 180 miles northwest of Baghdad, is an isolated village of about 2,000 people, with one main road and about 200 houses scattered in a rural area near Qaim in Iraq's western province of Anbar.

The U.S. military said al-Qaida in Iraq, the country's most fearsome militant group that has launched a wave of suicide bombings, had taken control of Sadah, and foreign fighters were using it as a way station as they enter from Syria to join the insurgency.

Al-Qaida and other Sunni-led insurgents have stepped up their campaign of violence, killing at least 205 people this week in an attempt to wreck the upcoming constitutional referendum, a vital step in Iraq's political process.

Iraq's Sunni Arab minority - which ruled under Saddam Hussein but lost power after his ouster - opposes the draft charter, fearing it will split Iraq and consecrate Shiite and Kurdish domination.

Al-Qaida in Iraq has declared "all-out war" on Shiites, and since a Shiite-majority government took power in Iraq on April 28, suicide bombers have killed at least 1,345 people, according to an Associated Press count.

AP-ES-10-02-05 1358EDT

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

The attempt by the APs MUSLIM reporters to spin on behalf of the terrorists still cannot disguise the fact that they are taking a beating.

Which is why the US TV networks dont report on it at all.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

actually....that would kind of suggest that they ARE NOT completely stupid.  everyone knows a deathwish when they see one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top