Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/2/2005 6:02:57 AM EDT
www.coolsmartphone.com/news1790.html

pics in the story if you click on it, note liberal use of bias

What a very weird day
By Gears. Published on 02 Oct 2005.

Today has been possibly one of the weirdest days of my life so far. I'm still here in Seattle, USA at the MVP Summit (click here to find out what an MVP is). I woke up this morning after about 4 hours of sleep, fairly worse for wear. Last night was the MVP "Party" and we'd done quite a bit of partying and drinking. I got up at 6 and went down the Microsoft with coffee in hand. After seeing some InCreDiBly interesting developments and feeding back all of the great comments you've sent in (which will get seen by Microsoft), we finished the whole event at about 1. Normally when I'm here in Seattle and Redmond at Microsoft this signifies a quick run to Seatac airport and onto the flight home. However, our flight doesn't leave until tomorrow so that leaves us with some time to kill.

A fellow Mobile Devices MVP called Chris Auld asked if we'd like to "go shoot some stuff". He went on to tell us that there was a firing range "around the corner" where he goes whenever he's in Seattle for a bit of fun.

I'm from England. We don't have much in the way of guns. They're illegal. The guys that came with us, plus Chris himself, are from Australia and New Zealand, where guns are illegal too. So, as I was probably never going to be something we'd do back home. What else could I do but accept ?

We walked in the hail and rain for mile after mile to get to Wade's Guns Shop in Bellevue, where there's an indoor range. When we got there and walked in I must confess that I was shocked. The amount of weaponry and killing implements available to purchase was just unbelievable. There were regular couples - couples I would expect to see shopping around Ikea - looking at 12-inch-long knives and semi-automatic guns like these, which I photographed in the shop....

The sheer amount and power of some weapons went way and beyond "personal protection" needs. Coming from England, where we just don't need guns, this sheer level of weaponry was crazy. I mean, who's gonna want a semi-automatic assault rifle just "in case" anyone breaks into your house?

Either way, we were here. We wanted to have a go in the firing range. To do so, we had to fill in a "safety form". This was fairly basic and asked us not to point the gun at people etc. However, once done the guys at the shop were more than happy to let us have a couple of guns and some 5 boxes of 9mm ammo. Chris knew how to operate these guns, however I wondered whether if I'd said, "Yeah, I've done this before", I could've easily got into the firing range and wrongly guessed which way to put the bullets into the gun.

The guys at the shop gave us glasses and headphones to block out the sound. We could see the firing range through the glass, however the sound of the various guns firing was fairly tame with the glass shielding. Once through the door however, the sound of all those guns was ear-blasting. Some of the Aussie MVPs jumped back as we opened the door. I quickly realised that the glasses and ear defenders were indeed very necessary. Used bullet casings were flying back into people and the glasses quickly became essential. These weren't air-rifles. These are actual ... real .. bullets from real ... actual guns. Scary. Very scary.

Chris showed us how to load the guns and the target. With my only real knowledge of explosives being those "kiddy" cap-guns we had years ago, I fully expected a bullet to explode in front of me when I loaded it into the gun, or the back of it hit the loading mechanism. The large explosions and shots happening all around me didn't help to calm my nerves either. However, I had a go and was surprised at the recoil on the gun. I took a few shots of "another" Chris (Monolithix from MoDaCo) shooting some rounds...

I had another few goes and managed to hit the target fairly well. After a while a strange smile appeared on my face. Until now I'd really not seen why Americans love these things so much. They kill people. Thousands of competely innocent people are killed by them and yet the great "Right to bear arms" is still maintained in the American Constitution. Why ? Why not ban them. Ban them tomorrow.... but... why.. why was I smiling ? I had in my hand a weapon that could kill or injure people. This causes so much needless suffering. Why am I smiling ?

Why do Americans need guns ? Hunting ? Personal defence ? Safety ? Security ? Maybe, mabve some of that. However, with the hugely powerful semi-automatic weapons and collosal weapons you might want to be honest...

To be honest, it's a very basic instinct. It's all about power. This is why we love - to some extent - watching programmes like Top Gear... or driving our car faster than we should. Most men - and some women in the UK and many other countries across the world will get into their car and stick the accelerator flat down to the floor. They'll make that car go faster than it should. They may skid, pull out too early or cut someone up. Why? Because they just can. You've bought this car. It goes fast, it can do 150mph, but you're told not to do 150mph by the Government. So .. do we pay attention and be good ? Do we conform ? Or do we - every now and then - put the pedal to the metal and exceed those limits ? Do we make the car sound noisy and aggressive ? Yes. Do we smile to ourselves ? Yes.

I looked around and saw the American shooters to either side. On my right was a couple. The lady was around 5 foot and was shooting a target with a silhouette of a man. She was using a pretty kick-ass gun too. Why were they here?

To my left there suddenly appeared a guy with his two children. One must've been about 7 band the other was around 12. He was taking them out for a Saturday afternoon shooting practice...

As you can see he was also shooting the image of a man. I stood there and questioned why a 7-year old child would want to be tought how to shoot a real... and yes, it was real... gun into someone. Why would he want to learn how to get a head-shot ? Why would he want to aim at the silhoutte, where more points are awarded for getting a body shot ? Kids at home in the UK are playing with lego or on their bikes outside. This kid is learning from his dad how to best place a bullet into someone. It's ... it's a bit strange in my head.

I'll leave you with that thought. However, we soon used up the bullets on our "regular" 9mm weapons and Chris AUld went off to get a Clint Eastwood special - a 44 Magnum. Again, after learning how to use it I took a few shots of the other Chris (Monolithix) aiming to fire the 44 Magnum..

This thing is one massive hand cannon. The guy on the right, with the lady, shouted into my ear defenders... "What the hell is that guy shooting?" .. he said. "A 44" I shouted back, which sounded like I knew what I was talking about, "F**k! A 44 Magnum! That rocks!", said the guy. He wasn't far wrong. It did rock. It was rocking the whole place every time it went off. The other guy - the dad showing his two kids how to best kill someone at short range - shouted, "Man, is that guy firing a damn Magnum?", to which I replied, "Yeah"

The 44 Magnum, when I tried it out, has a kick like a wild mule. Aiming it is somewhat of an artform, and somehow when you press the trigger it's like trying to maintain the aim of a runaway rocket. Not possible... not really. A collosal blast occurs and the bullet flies off............. Somewhere. The casing is double the size of the previous gun and reminiscent of a firework rocket.

So what is my opinion of today? Well. It's a mixture. I can understand now - to some degree at least - why the American public don't want their weapons or "rights to bear arms" to be removed from them. However, by the same point, it really shouldn't be possible for children to - especially less than 15 - to be let into a gun shop. The details on the "Safety Sheet" I'd signed said, "Children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult."... But this is weird isn't it.. Surely ? I mean, you're letting your child into a firing range, where there's dozens of people with guns. I find it a little weird - especially when there's a big sign on the shop saying "No Smoking, No Eating, No Drinking." .. .oh right.. No, we'd better not put any smoke near your kids lungs (not that I smoke), but it's OK to let them fire guns by themselves is it ?

Either way, I'm back in the hotel now after a few beers. I wanna thank Chris Auld, who's one of the most mental MVP's I've ever met, for today!

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#1]
What a puss.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#2]
He needs to unzip his vagina and let his balls hang out.  "Scary, very scary"

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#3]
those crazy Americans and their 'rights'.  why don't they be reasonable and do what their government tells them?  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:19:44 AM EDT
[#4]
what a pussy

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#5]
British males can not be referred to as "men".
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Thousands of competely innocent people are killed by them and yet the great "Right to bear arms" is still maintained in the American Constitution.

Most of the "innocent people" are inner city gang bangers/dopers. If you remove them, very few people are killed by guns. This guy is brain washed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thousands of competely innocent people are killed by them and yet the great "Right to bear arms" is still maintained in the American Constitution.

Most of the "innocent people" are inner city gang bangers/dopers. If you remove them, very few people are killed by guns. This guy is brain washed.

Nah.  If there were no guns, those people would just be peaceful and kind to each other.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#8]
it really does have an effect on them.  a friend from the Netherlands still prizes the pics he got firing my nickel plated 44 vaquero, his friends back there ooh and ahh about his stories of the wild west for hours.    

we always get talk of American ignorance from them, but Europeans know even less about us- of the ones who have never visited most of what they know is from wild west fiction written by a German who's never even been here.  to them all of America is like a scary theme park.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Of course they don't need firarms in the UK, they have a history and culture of subjagation.  Fuckin Whaa.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The sheer amount and power of some weapons went way and beyond "personal protection" needs. Coming from England, where we just don't need guns, this sheer level of weaponry was crazy. I mean, who's gonna want a semi-automatic assault rifle just "in case" anyone breaks into your house?

Riiiiight.

So I guess they have absolutely ZERO crime in England? Didn't think so.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Is that right??
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Of course they don't need firarms in the UK, they have a history and culture of subjagation and being victimsFuckin Whaa.

Fixed
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#13]

He's right.

Murder victims don't need guns.

Women who have already been raped don't need guns after the fact.

A gun doesn't help your stab wounds or broken limbs once you're already in the post-op ward.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that right??

Present company excluded.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

pics in the story if you click on it, note liberal use of bias

What a very weird day
By Gears. Published on 02 Oct 2005.

Oh yeah, I feel REAL safe walking the streets of London at night. There are PLENTY of guns in the UK, just that the thugs have them all...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#19]
some dick needs to fuck that pussy before he turns into an asshole.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Actually, this is an excellent point that the gun-grabbers purposely ignore.

When I did a surgical trauma rotation in med school, we did not encounter a single shooting victim who had not actively and purposefully done something to get themselves shot.  Suicides don't count since there are a million and one ways to kill yourself.  From the examples I can recall:

1)  A group of teenagers had just robbed a man at gunpoint.  They then tried to run over a cop with their car at a roadblock.  When they slid off the road and came to a stop, the police riddled the car with bullets after seeing one of the occupants point a gun.  All 4 occupants suffered gunshot wounds and survived with surgery.

2)  A man in his 30's was knowingly bragging about fucking a guy's girlfriend in full view of the guy.  The guy pulls out a .32 pistol and fires several shots at his groin.  One bullet cut off his (braggards) pinky and another struck the right femoral artery.

3)  A heroin addict, leaning out his window, was arguing with his dealer about a ~$400 running tab.  Drug dealer shoots addict in the chest.  Bullet passes through lung, diaphragm, spleen, bruises left kidney and comes out through skin.  Survives and goes through unpleasant withdrawel.

It is rare people are just "standing on a street corner minding my own business when this guy shot me" as they are so fond of reporting.  I'm not saying that people were always justified in shooting them, but there are a lot of things you can do to avoid getting shot such as not fucking other peoples' girlfriends and wives, and not buying or selling illicit drugs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#21]
When the British need firearms to protect their own soil from invaders we will lend/lease them all they need.  And not only that, but we will gladly put the lives of our own servicemen and women on the line to protect a nation that refuses to let the "subjects" protect themselves.  

Now I want it to be known that I am talking in general terms about the British.  I fully understand that all of the Brits aren't pussies, but what I am saying is that for the most part the Brits outwardly appear to be a bunch of man purse carrying sissies.  There are some real bas asses in the British military for sure.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#22]
This post reminded me that I need a new pair of "ear defenders".

This was a pretty funny read. I mean, really, why would anyone want to defend themselves? That's just wierd right?It's too scary to defend yourself.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm from England. We don't have much in the way of guns. They're illegal. The guys that came with us, plus Chris himself, are from Australia and New Zealand, where guns are illegal too. So, as I was probably never going to be something we'd do back home. What else could I do but accept ?

From what I've read by Vito and the other AR15.com posters from GBR, this is complete and utter bullshit.

I'd say that's enough to throw the validity of this piece out the window.  I quit reading right there.

Gloftoe,
You're right.  I read the other thread, too, and found myself pleasantly surprised at what our fellow GBR ARFCOMERs had do say and display.  

That said, I work with citizens of GBR regularly.  I've not heard ONE of them NOT say "guns are simply not legal/allowed in GBR".  Apparently, the citizens of GBR must be incredibly ignorant of their countries gun laws.  I will certainly be challenging these folks in the future.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Mangina!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+2

LB
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep limp-wristed pussy.  And England wonders what happened to their great empire.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I've read by Vito and the other AR15.com posters from GBR, this is complete and utter bullshit.

I'd say that's enough to throw the validity of this piece out the window.  I quit reading right there.

Gloftoe,
You're right.  I read the other thread, too, and found myself pleasantly surprised at what our fellow GBR ARFCOMERs had do say and display.  

That said, I work with citizens of GBR regularly.  I've not heard ONE of them NOT say "guns are simply not legal/allowed in GBR".  Apparently, the citizens of GBR must be incredibly ignorant of their countries gun laws.  I will certainly be challenging these folks in the future.

A few years back I met some scottish students where were visting Tech with one of my old roommates.  They came over and saw my 870 in the corner and they flipped out.  They too said that guns were illegal in the UK.  I think it is one of those things where 90% of the masses are ignorant about the law.  Same reason people see my AR and ask if it is legal or not.  The world is full of dumbass pussies.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Did anyone else hear that whole article in Hugh Grant's voice?

What a freakin sissy!

And to our Brit arfcommers, y'all may talk funny, but you're American at heart..
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Side note:   Does anyone have a link to the actual "gun laws" that are in place in England?

tag. That would be a must read.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Is that right??

You should move to the USA, to FL specifically!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#33]
My daughter is currently studying in the UK as part of her International Affairs major.  When we spoke with her yesterday she recounted an experience she had last week in which she and some friends stumbled onto a fight in progress.  One guy was beating the living $hit out of another.  The attack was so severe that my daughter feared for the victim's life.  When she and her friends yelled at the attacker to stop, he lifted his shirt displaying a pistol tucked into his pants.  I guess somehow he hadn't gotten the word that guns are illegal
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Dumbass
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Side note:   Does anyone have a link to the actual "gun laws" that are in place in England?

Here's a brief run-around.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The sheer amount and power of some weapons went way and beyond "personal protection" needs.  

Hmmmmm

I thought we taught them that lesson a long time ago
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2

LB

+3
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Why don't you try our UK Hometown Forum. (didn't know about that one, right? )

It's truee that the majority of the population here have absolutely no idea about the firearms situation in Britain.
As for Australia, guns aren't illegal there either, just certain classes are banned, ie Self-loaders.
New Zealand has very good gun laws. You can own machine guns there too.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The sheer amount and power of some weapons went way and beyond "personal protection" needs.  

Hmmmmm

Looks like they haven't forgotten it.
Anyone remember that NRA cartoon with the Redcoat soldiers running away, with one saying "What these damn yankees need is some common sense gun regulations"
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#40]

An Iraqi, and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmmm

Looks like they haven't forgotten it.

Anyone remember that NRA cartoon with the Redcoat soldiers running away, with one saying "What these damn yankees need is some common sense gun regulations"

Good point!  We did run their ass out of here. And 1/3 of the American people back then were against us even back then.

The guy almost got it, but his mangina took control.  Just another sheep, and a very ignorant one at that. Must suck to be him.

Scott

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Did anyone else hear that whole article in Hugh Grant's voice?

What a freakin sissy!

And to our Brit arfcommers, y'all may talk funny, but you're American at heart..

[Voice of Gen. in Full Metal Jacket] "Inside every gun loving Limey, is an American dieing to get out!!![/voice of Gen.].....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#43]
A point for Vito and Streetfighter, and our other brethren in Brittania...

Asshats like this are one of the reasons people think guns are illegal in Britain, notice how he say with authority that guns are banned in England, Australia, and New Zealand...

As far as this puss filled, sperm bruping, ball-less wonder POS who wrote the article...it would be to bad if he got hit by a bus...but I wouldn't shed any tears.

Pussy.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#44]
What a fag.

I want my 4.5 minutes back.  If I wanted to read shit like that, I'd go to DU.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Shit, in England it has gotten so bad, if you virtually don't help a burglar fill his bag with your goodies, you can go to jail.

Its so bad it has become a bizzaro world where laws penalize the righteous and defend the criminal...

Or so it seems from some of the stuff I have read...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Im disappointed no one described why we think we need those assault rifles. It aint about burglers, its about tyranny.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Im disappointed no one described why we think we need those assault rifles. It aint about burglers, its about tyranny.

Well, lets face it, no need to say it here, 97% of the time you are preaching to the choir...and as far as explaining to this douchebag....it would be wasted breath. Let him go back to England where the gov will protect him, and you don;t need guns...afterall, there is no crime in Britain, right?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#48]
I hope that guy gets brutally mugged on the street and they ream out his hairy man-ass too.  Then he will understand why us "zealots" feel the way we do.

I know, I'm preaching to the  choir.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#49]
I heard from some Brits that it is okay to own certain guns, but you cannot take them home from the shooting range. That is, you have to store your guns at the range. Is this true?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I heard from some Brits that it is okay to own certain guns, but you cannot take them home from the shooting range. That is, you have to store your guns at the range. Is this true?

Nope, more bullshit

Mark
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top