Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 6:01:11 AM EDT
www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/National/Georgia_Killings.html

Ga. Slayings Alarm Mexican Immigrants
By RUSS BYNUM
Associated Press Writer

TIFTON, Ga. — Pedro Bemol stayed awake most of the night, swapping lookout shifts in the dark with the five other Mexican immigrants who share a ragged mobile home with no electricity and a front door that won't close because of a broken latch.

"Right now, we're afraid to go to sleep — all of us are restless," the 36-year-old said Saturday outside his home, two doors down from the trailer where robbers killed two of his neighbors. "We don't know if they'll come in and get us in the night, break in while we're asleep."

The slayings of five Mexican immigrants and wounding of six others during a string of mobile home robberies early Friday has terrified Hispanics who come to this rural south Georgia community to work in the fields of cotton and peanut farms.

Investigators suspect at least two men committed the attacks at four mobile home parks — three in Tift County and one in neighboring Colquitt County — and targeted Hispanics not out of hatred, but because they're easy prey.

"They're ready-made victims," said Vernon Keenan, director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. "They're reluctant to go to the police. They speak very little English. What little cash they have, they keep on their persons or in their homes."

At least two of the men killed were shot. Others were beaten with aluminum baseball bats, a weapon used in all four attacks, Keenan said.

A relative said all but one of the dead belonged to the same family. Keenan said investigators have only determined two were related, a father and son killed in the same residence.

Investigators were following several leads after police released sketches of two attackers based on descriptions from surviving victims, but no arrests had been made. Keenan said crimes against Hispanics are becoming more common in southern Georgia.

"There's been a series of these in surrounding counties for four or five months, but never of this level of violence," Keenan said.

Authorities were still withholding the names of the dead. Police were working with the Mexican consulate in Atlanta to notify victims' families in Mexico, said Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokesman John Bankhead.

Blanca Perez, 47, knows too well the fear of being a victim. Her Ford Taurus has a bullet hole in the windshield and crude patches where four more bullets punctured the driver's side. She says her son was shot in the arm by thugs in November. In June, muggers held her daughter at gunpoint and demanded money, though they fled after Perez's son snatched their gun.

"But nothing this bad has happened before," Perez said of the killings, one of which occurred across the street from her apartment. "We all slept in one room last night — me, my son, my daughter and a friend."

The community has become a magnet for Hispanics looking for work. According to Census figures, about 3,000 Hispanics live in Tift and 4,500 live in Colquitt — about 10 percent of the population.

But some fear the attacks will drive them away.

Kim Martinez, 34, decided to leave Tifton and move to Florida after robbers broke into her mobile home a month ago and stole her computer. She worries the slayings, if not solved soon, could drive others to seek jobs elsewhere.

"They work hard to send money back to their families in Mexico," said Martinez, who planned to move Saturday. "If these people leave here, what are the farmers going to do? Because nobody wants to do farm work anymore."

___
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#1]
So we've got a criminal robbing criminal aliens? So, what's the problem? The crook is probably another illegal alien.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, if ya don't like the goings on in OUR Country, GET THE FUCK OUT & GO BACK TO YOUR OWN SHITHOLE!

Hey, at least now a new law on the Arizona State books allows LOCAL cops to bust illegals because they are illegal !! WOOT !!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey I dislike 'illegals' as much as the next American, but it sounds like a few here have their KKK hoods starched and pressed!!!!

Just how the hell is the asshole murder supposed to differentiate between an 'illegal' and an American born Hispanic???

And if you all don't understand this, tell me what does your world look like through the slits in your hood???....

ETA: Maybe you think as long as he's killing and robbing 'beaners' it's all good regardless of nationality??? Care to explain yourselves??
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, if ya don't like the goings on in OUR Country, GET THE FUCK OUT & GO BACK TO YOUR OWN SHITHOLE!

Hey, at least now a new law on the Arizona State books allows LOCAL cops to bust illegals because they are illegal !! WOOT !!!

As a GA resident, I much more concerned about the thieving fuckin criminals. Not that I'm for illegal immigratation, but illegals are almost harmless.  As el presidente Fox said -- they'll do the work our black citizens (or anyone else) won't do.

Edited to add:  This particular article doesn't actually say they were illegal immigants.  But most probably were.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey I dislike 'illegals' as much as the next American, but it sounds like a few here have their KKK hoods starched and pressed!!!!

Just how the hell is the asshole murder supposed to differentiate between an 'illegal' and an American born Hispanic???

And if you all don't understand this, tell me what does your world look like through the slits in your hood???....

ETA: Maybe you think as long as he's killing and robbing 'beaners' it's all good regardless of nationality??? Care to explain yourselves??

so you don't think they are going after illeagals, we have people here who only go after those people because they rarely call the cops, and I don't care about anyone who is a invading foreign national.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, the real question is...is Pedro and the other five Mexican immigrants actually immigrants...or ILLEGAL immigrants...

If they are illegal, and they are afraid, they are afraid for the wrong reasons...

THEY SHOULD BE AFRAID BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL, AND WE SHOULD BE SHIPPING THEIR ILLEGAL ASSES HOME.

Of course they aren't afraid of that because the US has no balls when it comes to that, and we don't even call the illegal anymore.

As far as if illegal immigrants are getting beaten and killed, I'm all out of give a shit. Shit, if they find a guy beaten into a coma, and he is illegal, he should wake up and find himself in sunny Mexico again.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Georgia chupacabra?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So we've got a criminal robbing criminal aliens? So, what's the problem? The crook is probably another illegal alien.

Ditto here
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Double ditto!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#10]
It should alarm people living in unsecure housing more than mexicans.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a GA resident, I much more concerned about the thieving fuckin criminals. Not that I'm for illegal immigratation, but illegals are almost harmless.  As el presidente Fox said -- they'll do the work our black citizens (or anyone else) won't do.

Edited to add:  This particular article doesn't actually say they were illegal immigants.  But most probably were.

+1

Illegal or not, at least they are working. I'm in Albany, about 45 miles away from Tifton. The people here that should be doing farm type work are not working at all. Somehow, the entire population has become convinced that you can graduate college even if you dropped out of high school and can barely read.

Thoroughly explaining it without sounding racist would be impossible, but simply put, most of
the lower class here is preoccupied with (a) the gangster lifestyle, (b) working as little as possible, or (c) attempting to educate themselves beyond their intellectual capacity. This trancends any racial or color barriers.

The fact is that without migrant labor, the work doesn't get done.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so you don't think they are going after illeagals, we have people here who only go after those people because they rarely call the cops, and I don't care about anyone who is a invading foreign national.

Maybe you can't read so well from behind your hood. Let me say it again a little more slowly this time, How in the fuck would this asshole, or anyone else for that matter be able to tell if they are illegals or not!!!!

I've never known criminals of any skin color to be so discriminating, but maybe by your mind set as long as they (the victims) are Mexican it A-Okay to rob and murder a human being???

If it's not Okay, then how are you or anyone else going to be able to tell the difference??? If you don't understand this then you are little better than the murdering basturd yourself....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Illegal or not, at least they are working. I'm in Albany, about 45 miles away from Tifton. The people here that should be doing farm type work are not working at all. Somehow, the entire population has become convinced that you can graduate college even if you dropped out of high school and can barely read.

Thoroughly explaining it without sounding racist would be impossible, but simply put, most of
the lower class here is preoccupied with (a) the gangster lifestyle, (b) working as little as possible, or [bold](c) attempting to educate themselves beyond their intellectual capacity. This trancends any racial or color barriers.

The fact is that without migrant labor, the work doesn't get done.

i wonder how much of this is supported by government loans and free money.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]

The crook is probably another illegal alien.

+1

Get rid of them all (illegals).  Problem solved.  

Produce prices will increase impercetibly.  Taxes wil go down noticably (since we won't have to pay for services for these parasites).  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1

Produce prices will increase impercetibly.  Taxes wil go down noticably (since we won't have to pay for services for these parasites).  

The problem is, a great many recent immigrants are poor when they get here, legal or not. I don't have a problem with Mexicans. I don't like the illegals, not because they are evil people, but because they are here illegaly.

But NOBODY deserves to have their head smashed in and their shit stolen. Remember? Law, and doing the right thing? Or does that not matter if it's just a mojado?

Fuck man, deport the illegals, fuggin a, but what kind of sick fucker thinks people getting beaten to death with a bat is a good thing?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The problem is, a great many recent immigrants are poor when they get here, legal or not. I don't have a problem with Mexicans. I don't like the illegals, not because they are evil people, but because they are here illegaly.

But NOBODY deserves to have their head smashed in and their shit stolen. Remember? Law, and doing the right thing? Or does that not matter if it's just a mojado?

Fuck man, deport the illegals, fuggin a, but what kind of sick fucker thinks people getting beaten to death with a bat is a good thing?

Finally!!! Someone with some common sense!!!....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Finally!!! Someone with some common sense!!!....

It isn't common sense. It's human fucking decency.

Now before I get painted as a pinko, I want the border lined with an electric fence. Not a cattle fence, but 50kv lines. Illegals are a drain. Yes, they do the work that I wouldn't do, but they still need to come in the right fucking way.

The fact that we in the US have welcomed damn near everyone to our shores is what made this country great. We attract the people who want a better life. Come legally and work hard.

But nobody deserves to be beaten to death with a fucking bat for just being here illegally.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I missed the word "illegals" in that story...  Could one of the Nazis on the board show me where it was? AHHH the reading comprehension skills of a southerner............
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#19]
"They work hard to send money back to their families in Mexico,"
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I missed the word "illegals" in that story...  Could one of the Nazis on the board show me where it was? AHHH the reading comprehension skills of a southerner............

Several people have already pointed out the fact that the story doesn't specify if they were illegals or not.  Chances are that they are here illegally, IMO, but there's no way to know for sure.

Implying that Southerners are stupid is just as biggoted as assuming that all Mexican immigrants are here illegally.  DU

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

AHHH another idiot troll
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Immigrant is PC code for illegal.

Ahh the brainfrozen thought processes of a northerner.....

Oh yeah,
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The vast majority of Mexicans that live in trailor parks here in Metro-Atlanta are illegal. Granted the article doesn't say either way, but if someone attacks any 10 random Mexicans here, chances are they attacked 9 illegals. It has nothing to do with reading comprehension asshole, it has to do with simple observation.

NAZI out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#24]
MANY of the violent illegal alien criminals TARGET illegals, for whatever reason(s)
and, I doubt they have any problems telling who the other illegals are, I sure don't
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Cash. Your lifestyle and daily habits are different when you transact cash-only. Think about your day to day life. It will be very very obvious. If you are an American-born Hispanic and you don't use ATM cards or checks, then it's time to panic!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
MANY of the violent illegal alien criminals TARGET illegals, for whatever reason(s)
and, I doubt they have any problems telling who the other illegals are, I sure don't

They target other illegals because a iIllegal is far far far less likley to go to the police.

In a city like Atlanta that had few Latinos several years and is now teaming with illegal aliens it ain’t very hard to pick out the illegals.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Murdering a father and son is not OK in any manner... amongst the other murders

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Great thread.  The alleged DU managed to make more sense than the alleged KKK arcommers!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#29]
For those who obviously have no knowledge of the area, the illegals are brought in by agriculture companies to work the fields, mostly.  They form their own communities, taking over trailer parks and the like. Go to any of the small towns in South Georgia or North Florida and ask where the illegal migrant farm workers are. Everybody in town knows the section they live in.

If the murderer of these people lived in the area for any length of time, or knew slightly more about the area and its inhabitants than, say, your average Arizona ARFcommer, they would know exactly where to find the immigrants.

Any more dumb questions?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top