Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 3:30:34 AM EDT
I have a Siberian Husky, female, 6 mos. old.  I want to get her another dog to pal around with.  We have a large, fenced in yard, and I exercise my dogs twice a day in addition.  

Besides companionship to the Husky, I need a little more guarding instinct, as my Husky is a super friendly goofball.

I want a dog that will protect my house and family, but not overly so, as I have small children, who have friends that come over and sometimes play a little rough.  I don't want a well meaning dog to kill a perceived threat to my child that is really an invited guest playing tag.  

Soooo, suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Akita
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:05:18 AM EDT
[#2]
My next dog will be a Rhodesian Ridgeback.  Check them out, they make good watch dogs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Looked at the akita, too likely to be overprotective.  I know a lot depends on breeding and training, but you also have to play the percentages.  

RR's look good!  I'll have to do a bunch more researh, buy so far so good.  THANKS.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I raise boxers, but Im starting to like the South African Boer Boel, they were bred to protect children in southafrica, beutiful dogs, but in my experience any dog will protect someone they are loyal to so im sure on the kids at play area.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Go rescue a dog from the Humane Society or the pound.

Both my Border Collies came from rescues and they are awesome dogs.

I wouldn't trade them for any other dog.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Two words... German Shepherd. Smart enough to know when to attack, tough enough to follow through.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
My first dog was a rescue mix breed, and was awesome.  But he also had genetic predisposition that led to expensive surgery.  Also, I have to get a brand new puppy, as I believe he has to know my children from birth.  So getting a 8-9 week old puppy on or near a date certain with a health guaranty, and a fairly predictable character trait set as long as I do my part seems to require a pure bred.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking GSD, but several people who have them and who's opinions I trust say there is too much of a chance that they will "protect" my children from the other neighborhood kids.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was thinking GSD, but several people who have them and who's opinions I trust say there is too much of a chance that they will "protect" my children from the other neighborhood kids.  

Try looking at Shiloh Shepherds (big GSDs with a softer temperament), or a Black Russian Terrier. Both are good with kids and great protectors.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I would look through the animal shelter also, lots of good dogs there.

Also a bouvier is a really cool dog that is protective and very tough yet very gentle with children and family. They are used as police dogs in some country.
very unique and nice dogs, they can also look intimidating in ways because of all the fur that increases their size in appearance.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#11]
The best guard dogs have spots above their eyes, so they look like they're awake even when they aren't.

Stay away from rotts, they've got too much chase instinct and not enough brains.

My guard dog is a doberman/dane mutt, she's the best.

You want a female, males have other priorities. Even when they're fixed they don't have the protective or territorial instincts of a female.

Training is more important than breed, but I've really been impressed with dobies, they're very good with kids and aren't too aggressive. They can be trained to assess threats.

Don't give up on the husky yet either, she's just a pup, she can be trained and her protective instincts won't fully develop until she matures.

You'd be amazed how fast a friendly goofball of a dog turns into a raging beast when one of her family is threatened.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, but she needs a buddy anyway.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#13]

I did it backwards.

Had a Rott first, then got a shep/husky mix for her to play with.

They're best buds,  and the shep/husky usually alerts first, then the Rott brings up the big guns!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#14]
il

Quoted:
The best guard dogs have spots above their eyes, so they look like they're awake even when they aren't.

Stay away from rotts, they've got too much chase instinct and not enough brains.

Well its obvious you know nothing about rottweilers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Boxer, Hands down.. Great family dog, and guardian.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
il

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#17]
English Setters are the perfect dog in my opinion. Mine is babied too much, so she's a bit of a coward, but she is gentle with children, great with other dogs and barks like hell at intruders. She's also loyal as all hell.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I raise boxers, but Im starting to like the South African Boer Boel, they were bred to protect children in southafrica, beutiful dogs, but in my experience any dog will protect someone they are loyal to so im sure on the kids at play area.

Awwwwww...  

I better not let my wife see this. We'll have another frickin' dog.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
il

Quoted:

+1

If you say so, don't take it personal, your Rott may be very sweet(most are) very well trained (most aren't) very well socialized, smart, whatever. Not the point. It's a breed that has a statistically higher chance of chasing down anything that moves too fast and not differentiating between a rabbit and a kid on a bike until the damage is done.

Like I said, training and socialization trumps breed by a wide margin, even individual personalities can often vary far more dog to dog than breed to breed, and your rott may be the very best dog on the planet, but the question is what breed of dog I'd recommend for a guard dog around kids, and a rott aint it in my experience with them, which is considerable but not infinite.

I only brought them up as a caveat to the spots comment, because they immediately come to mind when you think of dogs with spots, I do believe a dobie cross is a better bet than a rott or rott cross, should have mentiuoned I don't like purebreds in general either, why pay extra for a limited gene pool? but that's me, do as you wish.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:25:29 AM EDT
[#20]
why pay extra for a limited gene pool?

Predictability.  Dogs are bred for specific traits.  Any time you cross it is a dice shoot what traits from which side will appear in a given pup.  even pups from the same litter of a cross may have entirely different characteristics.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:39:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Akita

I am very fond of that breed.  But they can be dangerous.  I have heard stories. If you are a man and dont have a kid, no problem.

Golden Retrievers are so subservient it is ridiculous.  And they will protect you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Doing a LOT of reading about Rhodesian Ridgebacks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I've read ridgebacks have very high prey drive. Something to consider with children.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#24]
dogs have an uncanny ability to differentiate between what is good and what is bad. if you dont believe me have someone shake you violently and see how your dog reacts:).  i personally would not own any other dog than the american pitbull terrier awesome with kids but terrible with other dogs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
il

Quoted:

+1

nope, rockwilders is dangerous.  make me skeerd.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#26]
check your other thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top