Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 12:43:17 AM EDT
So Im trying to get all my finaces squared away, keep track of bills, work expenses, etc.

What computer programs would yall recommend?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So Im trying to get all my finaces squared away, keep track of bills, work expenses, etc.

What computer programs would yall recommend?

What do you mean by work expenses?  If you are self-employed then you might be better served by a true double entry accounting package that is still easy to use.  Quickbooks seems to have the concensus for ease of use there.

As for personal stuff, I have seen and used several and find Microsoft Money to be the easiest to use and learn.  It also has a very cool cash-flow forecast tool that will look at trends and give you an estimate of your account balance on a given day depending on what bills get paid when, etc.

Good on you for wanting to get a package.  For the measly $20 you can get MS Money for you can't go wrong.  I believe that everyone should run their personal financial life like a business, and tracking where the money goes is a great start.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:09:42 AM EDT
[#2]
In the Army. Expenses like gear, books, uniforms, uniform maintence, etc.

John
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]
For simple personal accounting, I think Quicken is pretty good.  The Mac version sucks, but the PC one has enough stuff to track anything and report any expenses.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:28:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
For simple personal accounting, I think Quicken is pretty good.  The Mac version sucks, but the PC one has enough stuff to track anything and report any expenses.

+1 on Quicken.

Microsoft's Money will do similar tricks compared to Quicken.  For a home business, QuickBooks goes to a whole new level (which is why it's $200 instead of $40).  But QuickBooks is also a more complex program, so don't go overly complex if you don't need it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:49:28 AM EDT
[#5]
quicken sucks for simple personal use money is the way to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top