Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2005 6:20:32 PM EDT
This offends me for some reason, and I can't really identify why that is.
Ok, I realize nobody cares if I'm offended, and that's a good thing, because I don't usually care if people are offended , but, nevertheless.....

www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=26870&archive=true

Any comments?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Shit, the guy was figthing a war, he deserves a war trophy. Wrong my ass. I bet the father is rolling in his grave. Stupid son.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
A sword sits in my father's safe with the name and address of the Japanese officer that surrendered it to my grandfather.  Some have suggested I or my father should return it to the family of the Japanese officer;  not only no, but Hell NO!  To the Victors.......
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for "stupid son".
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
To the Victors.......

Go the women!!!  And the horses!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I could see returning found letters or pictures, something of sentimental family value, but a friggin coat?

dumbass hippy twit
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To the Victors.......

Go the women!!!  And the horses!!!

I'll take the women, you take the damn horses.  They eat too much, and they like to do stupid things at the absolute worst times.    
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I dated a girl while I was at jump school at Ft Benning whos father had a Japanese sword he had taken from an officer that he capped on Tarawa. He said he had been asked to return it by friends. He said his reply was always "Hell no" he risked all during the war and to the victors......

The sword was cool as hell though. Sharp as a scalpel.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]

That guy calls his father a thief for picking it up off the floor of a cave. What an asshat. Probably a draft dodger in the '60s.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Fucking asshat son. Worthless piece of shit. His (Semper Fi) Marine father probably would have rolled over and shot this stupid assclown out the window if he had known he was going to turn out to be such a grabasstic oxygen-thief shitstain.

I simply don't have the words to explain how dishonored I would be if my son had decided to return such a war trophy that I had fought for and rightfully won.

Edit: I have somewhere in my fathers house a samurai sword taken off a cold, stiff Japanese defender something like 61 years ago, and it sure as hell won't go back to the family of the sawed-off assclown that tried to kill my grandfather. Not on my watch.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread needs a poll.

I vote assclown .

I would be ashamed if I had a son that would do that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
He obviously has no respect for his father.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Fucking asshat son. Worthless piece of shit. His (Semper Fi) Marine father probably would have rolled over and shot this stupid assclown out the window if he had known he was going to turn out to be such a grabasstic oxygen-thief shitstain.

I simply don't have the words to explain how dishonored I would be if my son had decided to return such a war trophy that I had fought for and rightfully won.

Vanilla.....can you tell us how you really feel?

I'm very disturbed by what appears to be an effort by many to do this very thing... return war trophies to governments or families.  I did a quick search, and this is not an isolated incident. I could possibly understand some personal papers, and effects, (skulls, maybe), but after the horrific details regarding POW and civilian treatment, even that is pretty iffy.
(My last book read was "Ghost Soldiers", by Hampton Sides.)
I'm really struggling to grasp some sort of understanding of what I consider a pretty twisted viewpoint.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#13]
what. a. fuggin. dipshit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Fucking liberal.  I hope he gets prostatitis.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Son traces father’s footsteps, returns piece of WWII history

By Fred Zimmerman, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Fred Zimmerman / S&S
Cliff Hadley holds the Japanese sailor’s coat his father, Cliff Hadley Sr., took out of a cave during fighting on the island in 1945. The uniform sat in a drawer in his father’s house for the last 60 years before Hadley returned it to the Japanese on Saturday.

Fred Zimmerman / S&S
The tag on the Japanese Navy uniform jacket that Cliff Hadley Sr. took from Iwo Jima 60 years ago.

IWO JIMA, Japan — Most veterans returned to this Pacific island this weekend to pay tribute to the dead and remember their place in history. But one man had two other missions: learning more about his father and righting a wrong.What "wrong"????

Cliff Hadley’s father, Cliff Hadley Sr., was a 19-year-old Marine private first class when he hit the Iwo Jima beaches with the 4th Marine Division. The young Marine was a radioman that was “a good shot,” his son said.

After taking part in battling for Hill 382 and fighting at the “meat grinder, turkey knob and amphitheater,” Hadley said, his father’s unit began clearing caves — and Hadley’s father snagged a war trophy that remained a family mystery for almost 60 years.Good for him.

“I heard rumors that he had it but I never believe it existed,” the son said. “He never showed it to us.”Guess he knew you would turn out a worthless, spineless twit

When Hadley told his mother he was heading to Iwo Jima for the battle’s 60th anniversary, she asked if he would return the item. Hadley’s father died two years ago at age 77. His mother said they didn’t need it anymore, that it didn’t belong to the family.

After all the years, Hadley finally learned the rumor was true and got a glimpse of the war trophy. His mother went to her bedroom and pulled out a plastic bag. Inside was a Japanese navy sailor’s uniform jacket.

“On one job he went into a cave and on the way out, he saw the jacket and snatched it up,” said Hadley, who added that his father didn’t remove the article from a body; it was simply lying on the ground.sure, that's what he told the lil woman.

The item wasn’t worn, washed or removed from the drawer for 60 years, Hadley said; it remained in exactly the shape it was in when it left the cave. Hadley said he was told it was preserved that way because some type of identification tag was stitched into the collar.

Translated, the tag shows the uniform was made in December 1942 and issued in October 1943 to Sannosuke Akitaya. The sailor apparently was from the Maizuru military supply department in Kyoto Prefecture.

After Saturday’s commemoration ceremony, Hadley gave the uniform jacket to Japanese official Rosa Ogawa. He said returning the uniform felt good. “It’s a relief. … Even though he (his father) didn’t desecrate anyone Heaven forbid we "desecrate" the enemy before killing him?when he took it as a 19-year-old, I think he’d say now, ‘I took something that wasn’t mine.’”????

After taking care of one his reasons for coming to Iwo Jima, the son then set out to see where his father fought. He said he had about a two-mile hike down the beach to the spot where he thinks his dad landed 60 years ago.

Said Hadley: “I’m going to see how many of my dad’s footsteps I can follow.”You can try to follow, but you sure can't fill his shoes.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#17]
geez what a dipship
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I vote assclown .

+1 for assclown.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I have no intention of returning my father's Japanese sword, unfired Nambu pistol or anything else he brought back.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Assclown +
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Its not personal property.( letters, pictures, thumb, etc.) so no keep it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#23]
RETURN A WAR TROPHY?

WTF??!!!

I totally give up on these PUSS-BAGS!!

Anyone got a time machine so I can go back to when men actually acted like they had a nutsack?  Why is everyone trying to be so friggin sensitve?  Disgusting!!

Man, am I ever sick of this horseshit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#24]
My Grandfather and I returned some letters and a few photos he took off a dead Nazi.

However, the CZ-27 that he also took, along with a K98, coins, and the tunic the guy was wearing, are safe at my house, and will be passed on to my children, and then to theirs.

Papers and photos I can see returning, and I have. Pistols, swords, equipment.... no.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#25]
It was EARNED with the blood of his fathers generation. They gave severly and now this asswipe wants to desecrate thier victory and valor. I'd like to draw down on him myself!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#26]
My great uncle brought this back from the War to End All Wars.

Should I return it?
Fuck no.
It is part of MY heritage.
Plus, he would come back and kick my ass for doing it.

That guy's son is a punk - doing something like that would be understandable if he was returning something to the English from the Revolution, or the North and the South.

The Japanese were evil people.
Evil - same ilk as the Nazis.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Stupis son has my vote also. What a dumbass.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Hi Guys, Ya'll are a stupid bunch of fucks ya know that?  

Dad brings home a coat, sticks it in a drawer and never makes a mention of it.  Sure don't sound like some big ass sentimental war trophy to me.  

The old man dies and the coat that sat in a drawer for 60 years finally comes out.  "Of heck, what are we supposed to do with this here coat", says mom.   "any of you kids want it?"  

Kids, "what is it mom".  

Mom, "Dad got in a cave when he was fighting the Japanese "    

"any more story mom, dad never mentioned it to me".    "nope son, just a coat"  

Hey mom, there's a NaME INSIDE!   Hell, I'm going to give it to the family of the original owner, it might mean something to them cause it sure as hell means NOTHING to us.   "My dad's memory and life isn't made great because of some moth eating piece of cotton".

Mom, "good idea Jr., it sure as hell isn't doing anything special here and frankly since any memories of what is was about DIED with your dad"  "let's give to someone that might still care about it, like the Jap family name on the coat".

Sure enough, I love dad, but screw this old coat.  

YOU guys bitching and calling the son names are a bunch of simple minded wanna be putzes.   I say BIG FUCKING DEAL - get rid of the coat.   NOW if it were a German LUGAR????  Keep it FOR SURE, but F, the old coat.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Dad brings home a coat, sticks it in a drawer and never makes a mention of it.  Sure don't sound like some big ass sentimental war trophy to me.  

The old man dies and the coat that sat in a drawer for 60 years finally comes out.  "Of heck, what are we supposed to do with this here coat", says mom.   "any of you kids want it?"  

Kids, "what is it mom".  

Hey mom, there's a NaME INSIDE!   Hell, I'm going to give it to the family of the original owner, it might mean something to them cause it sure as hell means NOTHING to us.   "My dad's memory and life isn't made great because of some moth eating piece of cotton".

Mom, "good idea Jr., it sure as hell isn't doing anything special here and frankly since any memories of what is was about DIED with your dad"  "let's give to someone that might still care about it, like the Jap family name on the coat".

YOU guys bitching and calling the son names are a bunch of simple minded wanna be putzes.   I say BIG FUCKING DEAL - get rid of the coat.   NOW if it were a German LUGAR????  Keep it FOR SURE, but F, the old coat.

OMG look there is a Serial # on that LUGAR I betcha it could be traced back to who ever it was issued to!! hell it's just an old lugar!
Well so much for us dumb stupids fucks? eh? kinda hippicritical?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

OMG look there is a Serial # on that LUGAR I betcha it could be traced back to who ever it was issued to!! hell it's just an old lugar!

Nope, not hippocritical AT ALL.  The Coat has NO, Nada, Zero value to the family - so give the rag away to the orginal owners if you can find em.  Hell, why not?

The LUGAR - that has VALUE, both as a weapon, as a very interesting piece of history - keep it cause it HAS VALUE to YOU.   Fuck the coat, it ment nothing to the family.  

Pay attention here Junior - I say why not repatriate the COAT since it means nothing to Dads survivors.  They have a hell of a lot better ways to remember dad - ya think???  But it might have value to the Japanese family - maybe.

As for the LUGAR - it has VALUE to the Victor, so KEEP it.    Nothing hypocritcal here at all.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Never in all my life have I ever heard of a LugAr.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, not hippocritical AT ALL.  The Coat has NO, Nada, Zero value to the family - so give the rag away to the orginal owners if you can find em.  Hell, why not?

The LUGAR - that has VALUE, both as a weapon, as a very interesting piece of history - keep it cause it HAS VALUE to YOU.   Fuck the coat, it ment nothing to the family.  
Pay attention here Junior - I say why not repatriate the COAT since it means nothing to Dads survivors.  They have a hell of a lot better ways to remember dad - ya think???  But it might have value to the Japanese family - maybe.

As for the LUGAR - it has VALUE to the Victor, so KEEP it.    Nothing hypocritcal here at all.  

Thats' hypocritical!
Please don't start calling names, thats baby shit.  At nearly sixty years of age no one has called me junior in quite some time.  Now go get back on your tike bike and ride away
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Kids, "what is it mom".  

You speak like an assclown. I will not respond in kind, but I will say this: many men returned from that war as casualties. Not injured by bullets, bombs, or bayonets, but injured just the same. A lot of those men do not want to talk about what they saw and did. I have seen men that finally admitted to themselves over fifty years later what they did. Perhaps his father never spoke of it, but kept inside himself the story of his involvement in some of the bloodiest fighting of the Pacific Theater. Perhaps his father chose not to relive his actions, his feelings, and his emotions. Now for you to have unmitigated gall to sit and say BIG FUCKING DEAL to that, is more than I can take.

I will not insult you, or call you anything, for no other reason than that I have no words to describe you. I simply cannot say what I think of you for, in effect, calling this man and his service BIG FUCKING DEAL. You are simply beneath my sight. You think it's more important to keep a gun simply because it's a gun, but a war relic and memory of an honored Marine is BIG FUCKING DEAL.  Speaking in the simplest possible terms, you, sir, disgust me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#34]
My father was at Iwo in the Marines, I wish I could ask him what he would say about this,
but he passed away 7 years ago,

But I already know what his answer would be, sure take all of the bullets and shrap metal
they took out of his fellow Marines and remake them in another A-bomb and return it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#35]

"Arizona war worker writes her Navy boyfriend a thank-you note for the Jap skull he sent her.

When he said goodby two years ago to Natalie Nickerson, 20 a war worker of Phoenix, Ariz., a big, handsome Navy lieutenant promised her a Jap. Last week Natalie received a human skull, autographed by her lieutenant and 13 friends, and inscribed: "This is a good Jap - a dead one picked up on the New Guinea beach." Natalie, surprised at the gift, named it Tojo. The armed forces disapprove strongly of this sort of thing."

LIFE MAGAZINE, 5/22/44 p.35 "Picture of the Week"

I wouldn't even give that back.  Has anyone heard of any Japanese returning any war trophies to Americans?  Fuck 'em.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I vote assclown.

If the coat had no sentimental value, why not simply sell it in the US like on Ebay?  Sure an original WWII Jap coat would bring some cash..

Second, if you are going to return it, at least return it to the Jap Sailor or his family. I am sure he would of appreciated a memento of his service as a young scared conscript being fed lies about the Americans.  Instead, the assclown gave it their Gov't.... Instead,  it will go to some museum that already has thousands of them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:22:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Notice that his mother first asked that he "return" it.

So the old man was the only one with a brain in the family.  I hope the son dies of exposure, wishing he had that damn coat after all.

BTW, that kind of article woulnd't have run in the Stars 'N Stripes I recall, or else I'm thinging of an entirely different paper.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I dated a girl while I was at jump school at Ft Benning whos father had a Japanese sword he had taken from an officer that he capped on Tarawa. He said he had been asked to return it by friends. He said his reply was always "Hell no" he risked all during the war and to the victors......

The sword was cool as hell though. Sharp as a scalpel.

I read a book on those islands earlier in the year.  Ugly stuff, bad intel, lots of losses, LC's getting stuck way out, etc.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:30:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I vote for assclown.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:31:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+2
Dumbass Son
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:29:57 AM EDT
[#41]

Just a coat huh?

My asshat relatives raided my Grandparents house after my Grandfather died and stole my fathers WWII Ike jacket. They refused to give it back.

When someone keeps a coat since WWII there has to be a reason and the value is something more important than ebay dollars.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:35:25 AM EDT
[#42]
My grandfather's sword that he took off a Japanese officer in the Phillipenes is sitting nicely in my display case.

It will never be returned to anyone.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Add my vote to that list.

Incredible!

Eric The(<sigh>)Hun
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
My Grandfather and I returned some letters and a few photos he took off a dead Nazi.

However, the CZ-27 that he also took, along with a K98, coins, and the tunic the guy was wearing, are safe at my house, and will be passed on to my children, and then to theirs.

Papers and photos I can see returning, and I have. Pistols, swords, equipment.... no.

Av.

I hope you made color photocopies for yourself!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I vote that there are TWO assclowns in this thread...

Semper Fi, Vanilla Gorilla, my sentiments exactly!

USMC_LB
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#46]
I wish my great uncle brought back a war, but no, the Japanese had to TORTURE him to DEATH.
I will never think of the Japanese as "civilized".
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#47]

fter Saturday’s commemoration ceremony, Hadley gave the uniform jacket to Japanese official Rosa Ogawa. He said returning the uniform felt good. “It’s a relief. … Even though he (his father) didn’t desecrate anyone when he took it as a 19-year-old, I think he’d say now, ‘I took something that wasn’t mine.’”

Doesn't bother me. The guy apparently thought that his dad would want to return it so he did it for him. Whether that was how his dad felt or not, I can't fault the guy for doing something he felt was his father's wish.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:30:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

+2
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Never in all my life have I ever heard of a LugAr.

+1

Even the steak house knows how to spell it right!!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I vote assclown .

If you read the fucking article, it was done at the request of his mother.    Yall gonna line up to lynch her too?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top