Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2001 6:06:46 PM EDT
Still looking at building an M4, and am wanting to stick fairly close to the military look.

I'm going with the 14.5" with permanently attached suppressor, so I was wondering which one came standard on these. Or if special forces use different ones for different applications since they can change theirs.

The one I'm looking at has a phantom (?) on it. Are there REALLY any major pros or cons between one or another?

Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
A2 birdcage
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#3]
actually, the correct flash supressor would be a gemtech bi-lock.  this is a correct military configuration as the Vortex and Phantom are not.  The bi-lock will make the 14.5 the legal 16".  The bi-lock is used by the military but I don't think it is mounted on all M4's.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Went to the gemtech website, cant locate info on the bi-lock flash hider, anyone have any pics or info ???
thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#5]
actually, the correct flash supressor would be a gemtech bi-lock. this is a correct military configuration as the Vortex and Phantom are not. The bi-lock will make the 14.5 the legal 16". The bi-lock is used by the military but I don't think it is mounted on all M4's.
View Quote

That's incorrect.  SOPMOD doesn't use the Gemtech suppressor or the bi-lock flash hider that accompanies it (nor does any unit that I'm aware of).  Using the bi-lock will make you length legal if it's welded on, but you will be unable to mount a bayonet.  They do use an A2 style compensator made by Knights that includes a special notch to interface with their quick release suppressor.  It is the same length as the standard A2, and the Knights suppressor is almost double the cost of the Gemtech unit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#6]
ok,
if someone wanted to make a M4, and have a bayo on the thing, what would be a good way to go?
c-rock
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have Kurt's extended A2 hider on mine.  He installed it after removing the Vortex that broke a tine off.  Kurt's hider is compatible with bayonets and looks like the military hider.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Seamus,

Standard military M4's have A2 flash hiders. Special Forces guys I imagine can and do get whatever they want, to include phantoms, bi-locks, etc.

You need a 14.5" or 20" barrel for proper bayo use, none of the other lengths will work. The length of the flash suppressor makes no real difference other than the length of blade in front of the rifle.

If you want A2 looks but 16" get Kurts extended A2. Otherwise I love my phantom, works much better than the A2 IMO and still makes legal 16". Fun little rig. About to get a side sling adapter to complete the picture, and when money allows a new 14.5" non pinned barrel and RDIAS.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/032/tE/vG/sg/nU83452.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#10]
CQB. Vortex + turning corner + wall = FUBAR vortex.
Also when dropped on the muzzle they tend to break too.

Vortex work good for flash but are really not that strong. The prongs can and do bend and break off. If it goes from safe to case to range there is not a problem. But any carelessness or heavy use can cut their life short. Normally not a problem to replace, but a different story when welded to the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the way the KKF extended flash hider looks.(looks right)
Anyone know how well it works compared to the others ?? anyone done any comparisons ??
how does it compare with the standard A2 hider as far as suppression ??
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:19:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I've seen the Vortex get hot and the top tine bend up and then blow off.
I'll try to find the pic...
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#13]
After the second trip to the range with my Vortex the rig had about 500 rds through it.  That evening after cleaning the barrel I tried to put the shoot-off muzzle cap on it and noticed that it was a very tight fit because the lower tine was bendig outward.  It looked like maybe the metal around the base of the tine was soft and the muzzle blast was pushing the tine away from the path of the bullet.  

After the next trip to the range the tine was bent so far down that the muzzle cap wouldn't fit on anymore.

On the following trip the tine broke completely off.

The rifle hadn't been carried in the field or anything, hadn't been banged around, and had less than a thousand rounds before the Vortex broke.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#15]
That's incorrect. SOPMOD doesn't use the Gemtech suppressor or the bi-lock flash hider that accompanies it (nor does any unit that I'm aware of). Using the bi-lock will make you length legal if it's welded on, but you will be unable to mount a bayonet. They do use an A2 style compensator made by Knights that includes a special notch to interface with their quick release suppressor. It is the same length as the standard A2, and the Knights suppressor is almost double the cost of the Gemtech unit.

-Armitage
View Quote

Actually It is used by the military.  In the Fall 2001 issue of Special Weapons for Military and Police pg. 58, It states the following:

"Gemtech's M4-96D carries National Stock Number 109501C190190 and this supressor is currently in service with operating units of the U.S. Military.  Foreign military and law enforcement agencies have also fielded the M4-96D."

I also called Gemtech and they validated the above statement.  So the Fact of the matter is that this WOULD be a correct military flash supressor.

Chris Williams
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top