Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 2:05:42 PM EDT
Old printer (Cannon S600) went TU.  Daughter needs to do a project this weekend so I want a new printer today.  Have $200 to spend.  No more.  Need a general use   color printer (documents, internet pages, etc.) and we are now printing more digital photos so one that prints decent photos is a plus.  In town we have Best Buy, Walmart, Circuit City, and office supply stores.  What printer should I get.  Thanks in advance.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
it was rigut above your thread

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=91&t=298923]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Again, I need it today.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with another Cannon.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Try the Dell 962 link
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Canon Pixma iP4000, great printer, cheap to buy, cheap to use, good quality for both general as well as photo specific.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to Walmart, Circuit City and similar stores.  You can get a nice HP PSC 1410 Printer-copier-scanner (or other in that series) for about $80.   (Or $100 with $20 rebate)  I have these for both of my kids in college and they have given good service.

www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1428453&CatId=246

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]
buy the HP printer in your price range.  it will last longer and the ink will be cheaper then it's competition.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Canon Pixma iP4000, great printer, cheap to buy, cheap to use, good quality for both general as well as photo specific.

Ditto on that.

GREAT color photo prints
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

My brother bought one and had nothing but great things to say about it. When my Epson died he reminded me about how much he likes his so I bought one. It's a great printer.

ETA: The ink cartridges are cheap enough to keep you from ever thinking about buying the aftermarket crap.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Definetly go with HP.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't make it today but will tommorow.  Am thinking about the PIXMA 6000 0r 4000 but am studying the recommended HPs now.  Thanks AR15.com far as always, ...making life better.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Canon for photos.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an HP 7260 series Photosmart printer for myself that is for regular or photo printing, has slots for various types of memory cards, too.  (This appears as another drive in My Computer)  

This printer is over a year old, I am sure they have a more updated version now.   About $80.00.  Excellent.

Here's a nice one for you:

HP PhotoSmart 7760 6-ink 4800x1200 Photo Printer with Media Reader

Has a multi slot media reader (as does mine) but in addition a tiny LCD screen so you can see what you are going to print without using the computer itself.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Go with the Canon stated above. I have worked with the new HPs and they never work without making stuff 3x as hard as the Canon.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:36:42 AM EDT
[#15]
While it's a bit above your price ceiling, check out the Canon Pixma IP8500. GREAT picture quality. My camera with 3.2 megapixels, coupled with this printer, produces pictures that are as good as what we used to pay to get from a local picture shop.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828102150

Unfortunately, the only retail store that sells it is Comp USA, and they've got it for a crazy $350...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:04:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Are any of these network printers?   We want to have ANY computer on the LAN able to use it while it's the ONLY computer turend on.  In other words, we don't want to have computer B turned on just so computer A can print, & vice versa.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:26:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Are any of these network printers?   We want to have ANY computer on the LAN able to use it while it's the ONLY computer turend on.  In other words, we don't want to have computer B turned on just so computer A can print, & vice versa.

I just tested my Canon Pixma IP8500 with my LAN at home. I can print from a networked computer. The setup I use is multiple systems hooked to a hub. I leave all my system on 24/7, doing Folding at Home. I don't know if a networked system would be able to print using a printer hooked up to a system that was powered down, but I suspect not. You might have to use a switch, not a hub, if I recall correctly.

Or you could use your systems for something useful when you're not actually using them, doing medical research, and leave them powered on...folding.stanford.edu/  Note, shameless recruiting plug. This'd save you having to buy a switch.

The only retail store I could find this printer is Comp USA. I see that there are a few of them in WA state. See here: www.compusa.com/locations/store.asp?type=&state=WA. I don't know if they're local or not. Definitely pricier than you originally wanted, but I swear by this printer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sir the best printer for you needs is thisone,and I aint just saying it cause I work for the company

BTW,if you are interested,please IM me your info so I can turn in a sales lead and get commission on it.Not too worried about the 20 bucks,but service techs now have a sales lead quota a month we have to meet.I remember when I just had to work on the stuff,not sell it
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#19]
What ever you buy will be obsolete in six months so stick with somthing with good solid fetures and availabily of ink carts.
HP,Cannon,and lemarks
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:40:11 AM EDT
[#20]
We also service HP printers,I can say in all price ranges they are a lot of printer for the money.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sir the best printer for you needs is thisone,and I aint just saying it cause I work for the company

BTW,if you are interested,please IM me your info so I can turn in a sales lead and get commission on it.Not too worried about the 20 bucks,but service techs now have a sales lead quota a month we have to meet.I remember when I just had to work on the stuff,not sell it

Thanks, it looks good but as I feared, the network printer concept is about 5 times what I can spend.....

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#22]
check for walmarts advertisments, best buy and circuit city. check for the lowest price then ask for a discount! we did on a hard drive I just got done installing. circuit city honoured wal-mart's prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top