Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2005 1:57:05 PM EDT
is $300 for a Plainfield M1 .30cal Carbine a  good deal...should I buy this because its a good deal or should I pass unless I really want the rifle?  Are they decent quality?  Is this a good purchase idea or?  Are these fairly easy to resell (decent resell value/appreciation/depreciation?)?  thanks.  by the way im in NY so...

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Price wise it sounds like a good deal. I saw a Plainfield for sale this afternoon for $495. I don't know anything about the quality though. My neighbor bought an IMI repro a couple of years ago and had lots of problems with it. For the price you could upgrade it with USGI parts if the receiver/barrel are good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
is $300 for a Plainfield M1 .30cal Carbine a  good deal...should I buy this because its a good deal or should I pass unless I really want the rifle?  Are they decent quality?  Is this a good purchase idea or?  Are these fairly easy to resell (decent resell value/appreciation/depreciation?)?  thanks.  by the way im in NY so...

If it is in good condition, buy it. that is kicking price. You could resell it on the EE for more easy if you don't like it. Here they retail for around 500. In fact I just saw a US Postal Meter M1 carbine for $495 at my local gun shop yesterday while buyig a holster. If the wife had been out of town, it would be in my gun safe now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
wow, im buying it Monday....ill post pics when I get it I guess haha...but I cant have it up here at school so ill have to have them hold onto it until I go home again.  anything I should look at/inspect on it particularly?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Assuming it’s in good shape, that sounds like a decent price to me.

Keep in mind that Plainfield’s are a commercially produced version of the military’s M-1 carbine.  They were never used by the military and very likely weren’t made to military standards as far as quality control and such.

That said, they’re pretty much an exact copy of the originals and IMHO are a lot better than Universals (which were also a commercially produced version of the carbine with lots of deviations from the original design).

Original military M-1 carbines have become fairly pricey since they have a certain collectors value.  Plainfield’s do not have the same value and should be priced accordingly.

If you’re looking for a shooter, it should be fine.  If you’re looking for something that will appreciate, IMHO an original military M-1 would be a better way to go (though it’ll cost you more to begin with).
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
there is an original Remington M1 Carbine for $500, in good condition, but thats quit a bit more then I had hoped to pay...is that a good deal?

even if the Plainfield doesnt appreciate, if I can buy it for $300, I can still resell it for more than that correct?  So its still a good buy in that I can buy it and resell it, making money in the end.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Not worth the money... No way in hell I would pay $300 hard earned dollars for a Plainfield Carbine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
there is an original Remington M1 Carbine for $500, in good condition, but thats quit a bit more then I had hoped to pay...is that a good deal?

even if the Plainfield doesnt appreciate, if I can buy it for $300, I can still resell it for more than that correct?  So its still a good buy in that I can buy it and resell it, making money in the end.

Remington never made M1 Carbines... Winchester did maybe that is what you saw.

If you pay $300 for a Plainfield carbine over a actual USGI carbine sitting there at $500 you need to be protected from yourself.

Do not listen to those above saying buy the Plainfield… the Plainfield is a NOT a good buy at $300 you will likely NOT get your money back out of if you want/need to. A USGI will appreciate in price the Plainfield will likely not.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Assuming it’s in good shape, that sounds like a decent price to me.

Keep in mind that Plainfield’s are a commercially produced version of the military’s M-1 carbine.  They were never used by the military and very likely weren’t made to military standards as far as quality control and such.

That said, they’re pretty much an exact copy of the originals and IMHO are a lot better than Universals (which were also a commercially produced version of the carbine with lots of deviations from the original design).

Original military M-1 carbines have become fairly pricey since they have a certain collectors value.  Plainfield’s do not have the same value and should be priced accordingly.

If you’re looking for a shooter, it should be fine.  If you’re looking for something that will appreciate, IMHO an original military M-1 would be a better way to go (though it’ll cost you more to begin with).

Actually, they ARE made to mil spec.

Buy it, its a great price!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remington never made M1 Carbines... Winchester did maybe that is what you saw.

If you pay $300 for a Plainfield carbine over a actual USGI carbine sitting there at $500 you need to be protected from yourself.

Do not listen to those above saying buy the Plainfield… the Plainfield is a NOT a good buy at $300 you will likely NOT get your money back out of if you want/need to. A USGI will appreciate in price the Plainfield will likely not.

I still say $300 is not bad for the plainfield if the gun shop stands behind function of their used guns. But $500 is definitely a better deal for a good or very good USGI carbine like a Winchester. I have seen those selling for much higher. I had an Inland a few years ago, was not USGI but ran fine.

Max_mike where can you get any M1 carbine for less than $300? I'd like to know, because I have not seen one cheaper than that of late, even in the non-usgi carbines. You have a secret source? seems like prices have skyrocketed on these little guns in the last few years.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Plainfields are military spec and if parts wear out, can be replaced with GI parts
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I paid $164 out the door for this Plainfield about a month ago at a pawn shop. They just wanted to get rid of the thing so I gladly took it off their hands. Some of the parts in it are USGI but from what I have been told it is kind of a crapshoot because they did assemble some from surplus parts and some from commercial parts. I wouldn't have bought this one for $300 THAT DAY because it was an impulse purchase. After shooting it and cleaning it up I would probably pay $300 for it now though, I like it.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#13]
everyone is giving me mixed feedback...some say $300 is a steal, others say they wouldnt pay it no way....whereas others say its a crapshoot....

so in the end is it a good deal for the $300 or is the Winchester the way to go for the $500...$200 is a big price difference between the two rifles.

I dont see how you could get one for under $200 as you said you did, because you cant get much anything for that price here in NY, even Nagants are $120-$160.  

If I ended up with the Winchester, would it be easy for me to turn around and sell it off for profit or no...and also would it be worthwile to hold onto it for a longer period of time, would it appreciate significantly?

I was hoping not to spend  the $500, but I really need to know...
Is the Plainfield worth the $300, and could I make money selling it off again...I posted about this on HK94.com and people there said basically to buy it and its a good deal..

"Here they retail for around 500"

"Not worth the money... No way in hell I would pay $300 hard earned dollars for a Plainfield Carbine"

"Do not listen to those above saying buy the Plainfield… the Plainfield is a NOT a good buy at $300 you will likely NOT get your money back out of if you want/need to. A USGI will appreciate in price the Plainfield will likely not."

"Buy it, its a great price!"

"I paid $164 out the door for this Plainfield about a month ago at a pawn shop. "
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I dont see how you could get one for under $200 as you said you did, because you cant get much anything for that price here in NY, even Nagants are $120-$160.  

I got lucky on the Plainfield because they hadn't been able to sell it and were giving it away for a little over what someone pawned it for. One of those right place at the right time kinda deals. The last Mosin Nagant M38(excellent)  I got I paid $69 and my last perfect M44 was $55. That was with a C&R though
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#15]
What's your intention in buying an M1 Carbine?

If you plan on shooting the heck out of it and keeping it for many years the Plainfield is the one to buy.
As was said Plainfields are the best of the Carbine-clones. They use USGI parts.

If you want to buy the rifle, shoot it occasionally and then sell it for more then what you paid for it then buy the Winchester. It will appreciate in value, the Plainfield won't. Or not nearly as much.

Both are good prices. I been wanting an M1 Carbine for years, but haven't seen a Plainfield for any price at all. USGI carbines in this area start at $450 - $550 and go up. Winchesters are usually priced at around $700 - $750.

In my area you could buy the Plainfield, turn right around and sell it for ~$150 more. The Winchester you could probably make a quick ~$200 or so on.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#16]
so what your saying is I can make money on both of the rifles in theory...

If I was to get the Plainfield and turn around and sell it for above $300 (my cost), id be happy...if I could buy the Winchester and turn and sell it for more than $500 id also be happy....

Do I take any risks of not at the very least making either the $300, or $500 back if I was to immediatly resell them after purchase?

Ideally id buy both, get a price reduction on one or both for doing so, turning around and reselling one of the two.

If you can tell me I can buy them and turn them around for profit I dont feel bad about purchasing either...thanks for your help thus far.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I've never purchased a firearm that I planned to resale. In the last 15 years I have only sold one that I bought and I regret it. If you don't want to keep it don't buy it. By the time you buy it and pay taxes, buy ammo to test fire it, buy a couple of extra mags, maybe even fix whats wrong with it you are going to break even at best. Is a $50-100 dollar potential profit better than owning a nice firearm ? Not likely.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#18]
A Plainfield carbine in excellent condition is worth every bit of $300.00. Plainfield is probably the best commercial copy M1 carbine on the market. Much better than Universal or Iver Johnson. I can't speak to Kahr or IAI but you won't find those for $300.00 either. My Dept. has several Plainfield M2's. We've had them in service since the 60's and they are good guns. I'd take a nice Plainfield over a beat to shit USGI carbine any day.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
so what your saying is I can make money on both of the rifles in theory...

If I was to get the Plainfield and turn around and sell it for above $300 (my cost), id be happy...if I could buy the Winchester and turn and sell it for more than $500 id also be happy....

Do I take any risks of not at the very least making either the $300, or $500 back if I was to immediatly resell them after purchase?

Ideally id buy both, get a price reduction on one or both for doing so, turning around and reselling one of the two.

If you can tell me I can buy them and turn them around for profit I dont feel bad about purchasing either...thanks for your help thus far.

Don’t buy the Plainfield… Plainfields are SUPPOSED to be built to military spec… some are some ain’t… it is a crap shoot on a 3rd rate remake of the original.

Spend the $200 more for the Winchester even if it is an import if in Good condition or better it is worth more than $500 now… in VG condition and not a import and you have a $750-1000+ rifle depending on the parts on it. I have seen sales of Winchester carbines go for up to $1200+ and those were arsenal rebuilt with late features. The Winchester is INSTANT cash the Plainfield ain't... it just ain't.

If you want a shooter the Winchester is a better rifle.
If you want a collectors piece the Winchester is a better rifle.
If you want an investment which it sounds like you do the Winchester is VASTLY better choice.

With what USGI carbine prices hove done in the last few years that Winchester is only going to increase in value. The Plainfield is NOT going to appreciate at near the rate if it does at all.

Don’t buy the Plainfield
Don’t buy the Plainfield
Don’t buy the Plainfield
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I paid $164 out the door for this Plainfield about a month ago at a pawn shop. They just wanted to get rid of the thing so I gladly took it off their hands. Some of the parts in it are USGI but from what I have been told it is kind of a crapshoot because they did assemble some from surplus parts and some from commercial parts. I wouldn't have bought this one for $300 THAT DAY because it was an impulse purchase. After shooting it and cleaning it up I would probably pay $300 for it now though, I like it.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41518

Lanceman, that's a really sharp looking Birch stock. With the right refinishing technique, you could really bring out the stripes in the grain. If you ever consider trying, check some of the M14 boards for advice on how to do it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#21]
two starkly different opinions, both make good points...Max Mike you made very good points...more replies the merrier, thanks all.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Go to Guns America and price Winchester carbines…
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41518

Lanceman, that's a really sharp looking Birch stock. With the right refinishing technique, you could really bring out the stripes in the grain. If you ever consider trying, check some of the M14 boards for advice on how to do it.

I really couldn't believe it when they handed it over to me. It was every thing I could do not to turn around and run out the door with it even though I had just paid for it. The guy at the shop knew nothing about M1's other than nobody had shown any interest in it for the 3 months he had it on the shelf. I am gonna have to go by there more often when I am over in that town
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Actually, they ARE made to mil spec....

I have my doubts.

They are, as I mentioned earlier, pretty exact copies of the military carbine (i.e., parts are interchangeable).

However, I seriously doubt all the parts meet mil-spec standards as far as steels, hardening, allowable dimensional variations and such.  Plus obviously they didn’t have to be approved by a military inspector.

I bought a new Plainfield in the late 60’s that performed flawlessly.  However, it came with a badly inletted, low-grade (albeit walnut) stock that I just cannot believe the U.S. military would ever have accepted.

Dieter122:  As I already said, the $300 Plainfield is IMHO a decent buy.  But if you’re looking to make money the $500 Winchester is absolutely the way to go (assuming it’s original and in good condition).  It has collector value that the Plainfield will never have.

Still, you might have to sit on it a while.

ETA:  LANCEMAN, you’re a thief!!  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:00:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought a Plainfield back in the 70's and shot the hell out of it...thousands of rounds...functioned well and only had one parts failure...the extractor....replaced that and was good to go.

I think I paid $150 for it at K Mart in 77' - 78'

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Does the Winchester have a WWII serial? If it does, you would  do well to choose that one if you want something to shoot as well as an investment. If it is just to be a truck gun, the Plainfield might be the better choice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#27]
how can I tell if its an "original", and if its stayed in the US or if its an "import"...also how do I tell if it has a WW2 serial number, what does the serial start with if thats teh case, and if it isnt?

I see that all true Winchester  M1 carbines are worth over $500 basically...so thats a good piece of mind for me right there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
how can I tell if its an "original", and if its stayed in the US or if its an "import"...also how do I tell if it has a WW2 serial number, what does the serial start with if thats teh case, and if it isnt?

I see that all true Winchester  M1 carbines are worth over $500 basically...so thats a good piece of mind for me right there.

My $0.02 on the Plainfield. $500 is way too much....$300 for any non military carbine is about right. I wouldn't pay that much...personally I wouldn't pay more than $175 to $200 for any non military carbine, and that only so I could turn it and make a little $$$.

If all you want is a shooter, with no history, a non military gun is fine. If you want something to shoot occasionally, but something with a history and something that will defininately appreciate go with GI.

To determine of it is an import, look for the import stamp. Anything imported since 1968 MUST be stamped with the importers info somewhere. Could be on the barrel, could be on the receiever. I believe imported carbines were typically from "Blue Sky", "Arlington Ordnance" and a few others.

All GI carbines are WWII...they manufactured over 6 million during WWII, and did not manufacture anymore after. There were enough in the pipeline where they didn't need to re-open the lines like with the M1 Garand.

Typically, most originals will have a barrel stamped to match the receiver manufatcurer (There are exceptions, where manufacturers used subcontracted barrels) ie...Inland will have Inland barrels, Saginaw Gears will have SG, IBM...IBM.

There is a lot to look for, your best bet is to buy one of a couple of good books which lay it out pretty well. Two good ones are...one by Canfield, one by Joe Poyer (a For Collectors Only series). Both can typically be found at gunshows, between $20 and $35.

There ARE deals out there....not to long ago I found one, an early Inland, with a high wood, I-cut stock, Type I op slide, flip sight, Type I barrel band, all correct, all early features, with an original khaki WWII sling....for $590.

My opinion, if you want a real piece of history, don't settle for a Plainfield, especially at that price....Hell, being in NY, if you can make it to WNY I can point you to some decent original carbines for between $575 to $675....a buddy of mine had about 8 of them for sale...I don't know how many he has left, I know he sold a few at the Syracuse and Rochester shows...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#29]
ok so what are good things to see, what manufactures are worth the most...how much would an imported M1 go for, and how much would a non import go for?  Im going to go back to the place , get the serial # and maybe even a pic so that you can further appraise it for me.  

again the Plainfield M1 is $300
the Winchester M1 is $500.

I might be able to haggle them down from those amounts with luck, but im not very confident I can...Again I ask, at those prices, can I turn and make a profit on both?  Would I be able to take them, list them online and turn a profit?  This is my primary question. Id like to buy them, and sell one to make a few bucks..thats ideally of course.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Check out the Winchester carbine they have listed on Sarco right now for comparison.

It's going for $995. Sarco is usally priced ok IMO.

www.sarcoinc.com/guns9.html

M1 Carbine Winchester

All correct  Excellent bore  Original sling & oiler  Was $1100.00... (E3667)  $995.00

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Check out the Winchester carbine they have listed on Sarco right now for comparison.

M1 Carbine Winchester

All correct  Excellent bore  Original sling & oiler  Was $1100.00... (E3667)  $995.00

www.sarcoinc.com/images/e3667b.jpgwww.sarcoinc.com/images/e3667a.jpg

Yeah, but its Sarco...that carbine isn't worth $995....that is a $600 to $700 carbine TOPS.

They are full of shit too, it is not all correct, it has been through a re-work or two...

It has an adjustable rear sight, rotary safety, Type 3 barrel band w/ bayo lug, a later 4 rivit handguard....

Just another Sarco rip-off....

That being said, even in the condition it is, if it has a Winnie barrel, it would be fine at $600...$995...rip-off, don't be fooled...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M1 Carbine Winchester

www.sarcoinc.com/images/e3667b.jpgwww.sarcoinc.com/images/e3667a.jpg

Yeah, but its Sarco...that carbine isn't worth $995....that is a $600 to $700 carbine TOPS.

They are full of shit too, it is not all correct, it has been through a re-work or two...

It has an adjustable rear sight, rotary safety, Type 3 barrel band w/ bayo lug, a later 4 rivit handguard....

Just another Sarco rip-off....

That being said, even in the condition it is, if it has a Winnie barrel, it would be fine at $600...$995...rip-off, don't be fooled...

I don't know these well enough - so you are probably right. But I have bought plenty from Sarco and their non-C&R stuff is priced pretty good.  I have never had a problem with them. What did they rip you off on?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I have two Plainfields and they are both champs... but if I were in your shoes (and the $200 difference wouldn't put you in a bind) I would opt for the USGI carbine.  (Easy for me to say, of course, since I already have two Plainfields... )

Mixed opinions like the ones in this thread have kept down the prices of Plainfields, at least in this neck of the woods.  One of mine was a steal at a gunshow from a part-time vendor who was convinced it was no better than a Universal.  YMMV, but my experience over the years has been that he was very mistaken.  My other Plainfield was a PD trade-in I bought friom a big distributor when I had an FFL - it looked like it was new & I've always wondered if it had ever even been issue/carried.

I didn't buy them to collect or appreciate in value (they are not collector's pieces), I bought them to shoot & have done just that.  I've never had the first problem out of either of mine, but YMMV.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#34]
thats from Sarco, but have you checked out Impact Guns?  They are sold out and were selling Winchester M1s for $800-1000 also..
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#35]
I say, offer them $250 for the Plainfield.  Chances are it'll be a good shooter, and if not, GI replacements parts are easy enough to come by and cheap enough.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I don't know these well enough - so you are probably right. But I have bought plenty from Sarco and their non-C&R stuff is priced pretty good.  I have never had a problem with them. What did they rip you off on?

Sarco is pretty good on a lot of things, but their "collector" stuff is usually way overpriced/

I buy parts and stuff from them, just buyer beware. That carbine is way overpriced....
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
thats from Sarco, but have you checked out Impact Guns?  They are sold out and were selling Winchester M1s for $800-1000 also..

Yeah, that is fine, but were they re-works or were they originals?

There is a big difference in price between an all-original WWII issue gun, and one that has been re-worked....if it has adjustable, and bayonet lug, unless it is a very very late WWII gun, it has been reworked.

Yes, the Winchester cachet does still bring a bit of a premium over most other makers, but a re-worked Winnie is still only a $700 gun tops in my book. Shit, to buy a correct, original, proper flip site will cost you $150 or more....

A Winchester assuming it is all GI, even a re-work, is worth $500 almost without looking at it. As long as its got a Winchester barrel, a re-work is definitely worth that, unless it is beat to shit...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#38]
a good but very little known way to know if a carbine has be refinished is to look at the hole for the recoil spring. when they were built new it did not go all the way thru. when they where refinished they drilled the hole thru but smaller so the park solution could get in and out of the hole better

my under wood is a 43 serial number with a dated 10 -42 barrel, i found out that this was some what common for 43 underwoods. the reason is the front part of the barrel was turned to small to hold the front sight. well there where a bunch of these and what my carbine guys says is he think they made it too small and when caught they put the barrels away then used them in mid 43 when they got behind

he values my underwood at 600 to 800
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I went to the store today, they are closed until Wednesday..so ill have more info on it then...now at least I know what things to look for..thanks.   Ill post the info I gather Wednesday afternoon.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a big difference in price between an all-original WWII issue gun, and one that has been re-worked....if it has adjustable, and bayonet lug, unless it is a very very late WWII gun, it has been reworked.

Yes, the Winchester cachet does still bring a bit of a premium over most other makers, but a re-worked Winnie is still only a $700 gun tops in my book. Shit, to buy a correct, original, proper flip site will cost you $150 or more....

A Winchester assuming it is all GI, even a re-work, is worth $500 almost without looking at it. As long as its got a Winchester barrel, a re-work is definitely worth that, unless it is beat to shit...

Sorry you are behind the curve... WAY behind.

A all original Winchester not re-worked at all is a $2000+ rifle... easy. The price Sarco has on that gun if it is really in that condition is market value or less than market.

A Winchester in that condition IS NOW a $1000 rifle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#41]
so it boils down to , even if the Winchester is a late-war rework, its worth more than $500 easily..
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
so it boils down to , even if the Winchester is a late-war rework, its worth the $500....

Yes... easily more than $500.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#43]
ok well heres what ill do when I get there...see if theres other M1s or other rifles that have come in...purchase the Winchester...and see if they will give me a price break on the $500 pricetag...if they budge then they budge...then see if they will give me a more significant discount if i purchase both the Plainfield and Winchester...so I could hold onto the Plainfield and sell off the Winchester....in the future I could always sell the Plainfield off...or I just may get the one Winchester and turn it for profit, saving up for other purchases....smart ideas ?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#44]
"If you are concerned with profit from buying the rifle - become a gun dealer.  Otherwise buy for your use, not the future resale.
(Since selling it may get kind of dicey, as it always does when you need to sell)
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#45]
well I cant become a gun dealer being that im only 20 right now...and also I dont feel like blowing what is it, $2000 on a license....

there isnt anything wrong with buying and reselling is there...shouldnt be dicey, and how would it be?

the market for them, I dont see it not staying strong, only getting stronger.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Damn just buy them both and sort it out later like most normal people do
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#47]
haha yeah thats what im thinking..because if I can get a good price break on the both of them, resell the Winchester, then I can turn a profit and have a Plainfield for below cost basically...since I havent seen any for below $300 online, and those that WERE $300, were used, and they were the older models.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:29:00 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A all original Winchester not re-worked at all is a $2000+ rifle... easy. The price Sarco has on that gun if it is really in that condition is market value or less than market.

If a re-worked Winnie is over $1000 now, let me know where to go, I know where I can lay my hands on 1 or 2 for less than $700.        

In my book, no reworked carbine is worth more than $700 or so...especially if it has the adjustable sights, a Type 3 barrel band, and all the other late features. And a pot belly stock...forget it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If a re-worked Winnie is over $1000 now, let me know where to go, I know where I can lay my hands on 1 or 2 for less than $700.        
In my book, no reworked carbine is worth more than $700 or so...especially if it has the adjustable sights, a Type 3 barrel band, and all the other late features. And a pot belly stock...forget it.

Really? Where? I might be interested. Haven't seen any winnies for less than $900 around here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Really? Where? I might be interested. Haven't seen any winnies for less than $900 around here.

They are in NYS...a buddy of mine picked up 10 a while back, I'd need to see what he has left, and if he has any Winnies left.

Another buddy of mine had one available...I can see if he still does...both are FFL's....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top