Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2005 1:38:21 PM EDT

....and why.

Paella.

Humble beginnings. Traditionally cooked over an open fire by Spanish field hands;
probably has an earlier Arab connection.
Has evolved into a gourmet one-dish meal with no set ingredients except saffron
rice and some type of meat(s) and some type of vegetable(s).

Fun to cook. Encourages experimentation. Beautiful presentation from the cooking
pan.  Delicious.

My pick as world's greatest rice dish.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You're right, it is a wonderful dish. I like your analysis on it. Now I'm hungry. Go make some and post the dinner pic!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Bleh!  I like Taco Rice
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Raw fish, rice and seaweed.  Better than it sounds
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
good ol' pork fried rice, i could eat it all the time. lot of pork, egg, green onions mmmmmmm

too bad washington state fried rice sucks!!! most places just have white rice with peas and carrots in it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Paella, sounds ok I guess. But it's no rice-a-roni.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I just made my White-Boy Stir-Fry.  Coat the pan with olive oil.  Heat that up a bit then throw on an assload of crushed garlic, fresh-ground pepper, some butter and creole seasoning.  Saute that for a few minutes, then throw on about half a pound of cooked shrimp minus the tail.  Once that gets nice and warm it's time to add a cup of Basmati rice.  Get all the flavors workin' together on that (usually about 10 minutes) then move everything to the side.  In the space that's left, fry an egg-white then mix everything back together.  Top it off with some vegetables, snap-peas are my green thing of choice.  Dump everything onto a plate and enjoy.

ETA:  The only downside, well it's not so much a downside as a by-product, your house will smell like garlic for the rest of the day.

ETA #2:  I also do a variation with fresh scallops instead of the shrimp.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Yum! Rice.  Always good. Not too many ways to fuckup rice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Guteman? Sticky Rice.  

Tastes great, has bits of chinese sausage, and if made correctly, has the steam grilled paper wrapper.  No utensils neccesary.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I like Condelezza Rice
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The rice that's packed neatly underneath the salmon, yellowtail, shrimp, eel and tuna that I'm eating in a few minutes.

Sushi... there is no better food to blow my paychecks on.

EDIT:  Stoopid, dum, tyepoes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#14]
For the life of me, I can't remember the name of this Korean dish.

Take a large leaf of lettuce - a little bigger than your hand.

Put some rice in the middle of it.
And some cooked beef, chicken or pork - cooked with a ton of spices.
Flavor to taste from the large tray of all sorts of stuff - no idea what it all was, actually.
Fold the edges of the lettuce up around all the stuff in the middle making a big ball.
Stuff the whole thing into your mouth - it's rude to eat this in more than one bite.

Best thing I have ever eaten.

Backstop = wondering if there's a Korean restaurant nearby.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In Okinawa I used to cook up a batch of rice in my contraband rice cooker, then chop up a can of Albacore tuna and dump that in the rice. A little mayo, a big spoonful of horseradish and soy sauce to taste.

Good eatin'

You had one too?  I got mine taken away though, along with my toaster, electric skillet, and little mini-oven that i had hidden underneath my rack.  

I used to buy those stirfry packages in the two part cans, and eat it with steamed rice.  Never tried mixing tuna with it though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For the life of me, I can't remember the name of this Korean dish.

Take a large leaf of lettuce - a little bigger than your hand.

Put some rice in the middle of it.
And some cooked beef, chicken or pork - cooked with a ton of spices.
Flavor to taste from the large tray of all sorts of stuff - no idea what it all was, actually.
Fold the edges of the lettuce up around all the stuff in the middle making a big ball.
Stuff the whole thing into your mouth - it's rude to eat this in more than one bite.

Best thing I have ever eaten.

Backstop = wondering if there's a Korean restaurant nearby.

I think it's called Bangja Gui, and you're right, that stuff owns.

*drools*
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#17]
your all wrong, greatest rice dish is Jambalya
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Jambalya?  The MRE variety?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I couldn't find that dish you mentioned, m4bandit.  www.lifeinkorea.com/cgi-bin/menu.cfm

Did find this though, which I'm pretty sure is it.
I haven't had dinner yet, either...

Bulgogi (Barbecued Beef)

Pulgogi is one of Korea's most famous grilled dishes. It is made from sirloin or another prime cut of beef (such as top round), cut into thin strips. For an outside barbecue, the meat is marinated for at least four hours to enhance the flavor and to tenderize it in a mixture of sesame oil, soy sauce, black pepper, garlic, sugar, onions, ginger, and wine. The marinated beef is cooked on a metal dish over the burner. Whole cloves of garlic, sliced onions, and chopped green peppers are often grilled at the same time.

To eat, select a pice of cooked beef, and wrap it in lettuce with rice, kimchi, shredded vegetables, or a number of other garnishes on the table. You can also add doenjang (bean paste) for flavor. Dwaeji pulgogi is a pork version of this dish.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Sushi
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Fried rice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Paella really is up there if done right, but it has nothing on the simple goodness of cajun red beans & rice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You had one too?  I got mine taken away though, along with my toaster, electric skillet, and little mini-oven that i had hidden underneath my rack.  

I used to buy those stirfry packages in the two part cans, and eat it with steamed rice.  Never tried mixing tuna with it though.

Hey brother, I had mine in the air conditioner register. I used to have to get up on the top rack and unscrew two screws to get it out. Nobody ever went to that level on a health and comfort so I was g2g. My buddy had a little coffee percolator taken and had to report to our Top. Once the Top heard what a coffee fiend my buddy is, he cut him some slack and even gave him his percolator back and told him to hide it better...

Thats a good idea about the air conditioner register.  In the barracks I lived in, on Camp Foster, you couldnt fit much of anything up there.  I had all the dresser drawers in the room positioned under the rack to where you couldnt see back in there, where I had the stuff hidden and plugged in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#25]
My favorite Rice dish.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I couldn't find that dish you mentioned, m4bandit.  www.lifeinkorea.com/cgi-bin/menu.cfm

Did find this though, which I'm pretty sure is it.
I haven't had dinner yet, either...

Bulgogi (Barbecued Beef)

Pulgogi is one of Korea's most famous grilled dishes. It is made from sirloin or another prime cut of beef (such as top round), cut into thin strips. For an outside barbecue, the meat is marinated for at least four hours to enhance the flavor and to tenderize it in a mixture of sesame oil, soy sauce, black pepper, garlic, sugar, onions, ginger, and wine. The marinated beef is cooked on a metal dish over the burner. Whole cloves of garlic, sliced onions, and chopped green peppers are often grilled at the same time.

To eat, select a pice of cooked beef, and wrap it in lettuce with rice, kimchi, shredded vegetables, or a number of other garnishes on the table. You can also add doenjang (bean paste) for flavor. Dwaeji pulgogi is a pork version of this dish.

Oh god that's some awesome food. My friend's roommate in college was from South Korea. She'd make that for us. Unreal how good it was!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

....and why.

Paella.

Humble beginnings. Traditionally cooked over an open fire by Spanish field hands;
probably has an earlier Arab connection.
Has evolved into a gourmet one-dish meal with no set ingredients except saffron
rice and some type of meat(s) and some type of vegetable(s).

Fun to cook. Encourages experimentation. Beautiful presentation from the cooking
pan.  Delicious.

My pick as world's greatest rice dish.

You nailed it,  first post.  I love seafood paella!  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#28]
MY favorite rice as main ingredient meal is fried rice with lots of hot peppers in it.

My favorite meal  with rice is thai curry (panang, massaman, etc.)

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Paella, sounds ok I guess. But it's no rice-a-roni.

No place to make/eat it like Spain.  Tapas!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Had rice today amof.  Great thing about rice is you can throw anything in it.  My favorites are cream of mushroom soup, cheese, can of tuna, hamburger.  Not all the same time though.

Got a the cheapest rice cooker possible, a Salton from Bed, Bath, Beyond for about $15 to test the waters to see if I had a rice cooker I'd stick to it.   Some rice cookers go for $200 or more.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#31]
"world's greatest rice dish"

I was thinking  "Paella" when I clicked on this.

I whole- heartedly agree!

--VT
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Dirty Rice...

(with lots-O-hotlinks added)
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#33]
How about just plain old white rice. It has sustained the bulk of mankind for thousands of years.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What he said. #2 would be boudin.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:40:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yum! Rice.  Always good. Not too many ways to fuckup rice.

Yum. Yum.

(I guess they found a way... The nastiest shit I've ever ate)
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#36]
rice and salsa, but not just any salsa, has to be extra hot with jalpeneos mixed in
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top