Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2005 1:18:12 PM EDT
Boston Police Plan Show of Force at Red Sox-Yankees Series

Sep 30, 9:00 AM (ET)

BOSTON (AP) - A year after a woman was fatally shot by police during Red Sox celebrations, hundreds more officers will work to control crowds during this weekend's series with the New York Yankees, The Boston Globe reported Friday.
A deployment plan obtained by the newspaper calls for 876 officers and commanders to be on duty for each of three games starting Friday night.

Only 334 officers were deployed the night 21-year-old Emerson College student Victoria Snelgrove was killed last October when she was shot in the eye by a pepper pellet gun following a Red Sox victory over the Yankees.

The department has since banned the pellet guns.

This year's security plan focuses on how to keep celebrations from getting out of control if the Red Sox clinch a playoff berth by beating the Yankees. Police officials would not comment to the Globe or The Associated Press on Friday regarding specifics.

Seth Gitell, a spokesman for Mayor Thomas Menino, also declined to comment.

The department's internal investigation into Snelgrove's death concluded that officials were not prepared to control the tens of thousands of fans who gathered near Fenway Park last year.

One police commander was demoted and three officers were suspended this month as a result of the investigation. District Attorney Daniel Conley said this month no criminal charges would be filed.

The city paid the Snelgrove family a $5.1 million settlement in May.

I know it would be really painful but how do you die getting shot like that? She had to have something wrong with her
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesnt take much to pop through your eye and enter your brain.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I know it would be really painful but how do you die getting shot like that? She had to have something wrong with her

A No. 2 pencil shoved even with a mild amount of force will puncture the very thin bone behind the orbit, and then go into the brain.  I remember doing the same thing with my finger in Gross Anatomy.  The force of a pepper ball striking the eye likely did the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A No. 2 pencil shoved even with a mild amount of force will puncture the very thin bone behind the orbit, and then go into the brain.  I remember doing the same thing with my finger in Gross Anatomy.  The force of a pepper ball striking the eye likely did the same thing.

ewwww
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
pepperball = slightly thicker paintball

Tippmann Pro-Lite 4tw
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
pepperball = slightly thicker paintball

Tippmann Pro-Lite 4tw

Actually, the FN303, which is what was used, fires a finned plastic ball, not a regular gel paintball, and it's full of a mixture of OC solution and powdered bizmuth, so the mass is substantially higher than a normal paintball, and it's stiffer.  I suspct the guns were not tested with a chronograph either, so the muzzle velocity could have been way higher than what is considered safe for paintball.

I remember back when the pepper launchers were first announced, the paintball community viewed it as a bad idea... "Not only are we going to put your eye out, but it will burn like Hades too!"
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]
so what prey tell did the poor girl do to deserve getting killed?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remind me never to donate my body to science.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top