Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2005 1:03:27 PM EDT
CNN wants to know what to do with New Orleans.. Only one problem the three choices involve some form of rebuilding at the taxpayers expense.

Link

Weeks after Hurricane Katrina and the floods that followed devastated New Orleans, the city is beginning the long process of recovery. But before rebuilding gets underway, residents and government officials face tough questions about how to proceed. CNN wants to know how you would approach the task.

Below is a list of some of the looming questions sure to be considered in the coming weeks and months. Use the links below to provide your own answers, and check back next week to read some of the solutions CNN users propose.

•  Rebuild? New Orleans, founded in 1717 and rich with culture and history, sits below sea level near a coastline that is threatened by hurricanes. Is it worth rebuilding after the devastation that followed Hurricane Katrina? Why or why not? > Send your answer

•  Reinvent? Rebuilding creates opportunities to fix some of the problems the city had before Katrina struck. How could New Orleans take advantage of reconstruction efforts to improve? > Send your answer

•  Revive? Can New Orleans ever be the same? What would need to be saved or rebuilt to maintain the spirit of the city? > Send your answer

So we need to help them decide.. Lets see now..  

Rebuild?..

Reinvent?...

Revive?

Poll coming..

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
abandon to the free market.
If N'Awlins is to survive, lets let private individuals decide to do it with their money.
Not mine.

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Call in the French....they started it...

Nothing more irresistable than living underwater in a delta.

My other idea is pretty progressive.

Make Hurricanes illegal in the city of New Orleans.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
it's a major trading port... as big of a shithole as it is, we need it.

I vote reinvent.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Make it our Maximum security prison.

Put gaurds around the city and put all our most violent criminals in there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually in would make a nice safe harbor for the visiting rich with their very large expensive yachts.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#8]
...founded in 1717 by people who said, "Hmm this area is sinking and annual floods keep it from sinking, but we can't live here with it flooding, so let's divert the water around, let's live in an area destined to be destroyed one way or another in order to make a buck or two with a port here."

Anyone who came in after that was dense, greedy or both. Screw 'em.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Do the thing from Escape from New York, Except replace York with Orleans.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
It belongs to the sea.   Give it back.
(And whomever the idiots are that want to go with it.)
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Your poll sucks as bad as the CNN one.  No option for let the free market reign?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#12]
The thread needs Pictures..

Lets find examples of what would be appropriate for New Orleans.

Here is Larry Ellisons 244 foot long Katana Yacht.

Always wanted one of these.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Use eminent domain to sieze "the East" and the "9th Ward" and turn them into parking lots.  Then dam up the parts that matter.  Or just restore the port and rebuild city farther north.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Let the free market dictate. No insurance welfare for those that want to build under sea level. I don't want my taxes to go up to rebuild a place that is fondly remembered as a place to see tits for the price of ten cent beads....
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Use it for live fire Military Exercises. It already has the 3rd world look to it now so it will be as real as it gets. All you gotta do is bring the looters back and start mowing them down.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#16]
344 ft Sea Dream

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
344 ft Sea Dream

www.afroudakisyachting.com/sea_dream/1a.jpg  www.afroudakisyachting.com/sea_dream/4.jpg

www.afroudakisyachting.com/sea_dream/2.jpg  www.afroudakisyachting.com/sea_dream/3.jpg

www.afroudakisyachting.com/sea_dream/6.jpg

I'd take one of those.  I'm sure it would be a great base for anti-pirate vigilante missions

Ever since of been on this site I've had this inexplicable dream of getting a letter of marque and reprisal and setting sail to kill pirates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top