Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 12:35:45 AM EDT
How did this guy get across our border, and who fed, clothed and housed him?
(and I wonder how many other teens he didn't get caught raping and killing)

Virginia Judge: Deaf, Mute Man Incompetent to Stand Trial on Capital Murder Charge
SUE LINDSEY
Associated Press
abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1173790&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. Sep 30, 2005 — A deaf, mute, illiterate Salvadoran charged with capital murder in the slaying of a teenage girl was incompetent to stand trial because he has practically no communication skills, a judge ruled.

Oswaldo Martinez, a 33-year-old illegal immigrant, was ordered Thursday to receive language training at a state mental hospital to make him competent to stand trial in the rape and murder of 16-year-old Brittany Binger.

Binger was grabbed from behind, choked and sexually assaulted in January, police said. Martinez was indicted in May after DNA evidence linked him to the crime, officials said.

Martinez cannot communicate with his attorneys and doesn't fully understand why he's in court, said psychologist Carolyn Corbett, who evaluated Martinez for the defense. Martinez looked down at the defense table for most of the hearing.

"He doesn't understand what I'm saying," Corbett said. "He's not even looking at me."

When Martinez was evaluated by a team from Gallaudet University, he spoke only four words and used gestures that sometimes were difficult to understand, Corbett said. Gallaudet is a school for the hearing-impaired.

Martinez could not read, Corbett said, and while he could print his first name slowly, he could not recognize his last name.

Prosecutor Mike McGinty said Martinez has since received a hearing aid and can now say certain words in Spanish and count to 30.

"That is still a very low level of language skill," Corbett replied.

James City County Circuit Court Judge Samuel Powell ordered a hearing to review Martinez's status April 5.

Under state law, capital murder defendants who are incompetent to stand trial remain institutionalized while undergoing treatment for their condition. If competency can't be restored quickly, hearings are held every six months to assess the treatment and the defendant's competency level.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:25:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah.  This is great.  He was here illegally then continues to break the law, and then could get off because it seems he cannot to speak or hear.  

"Uhhh... they might be unlawful aliens but otherwise lawful citizens"
~ Alberto Gonzalez, US Attorney General at his confirmation hearing, Jan. 6, 2005.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:33:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Wonder if he could "feel" a hot bullet enter his ear canal?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Then HTF did he get here?

Guess nowadays you just wind the illegals up, point them north, and flip the switch.  They don't even need to read or know what country they're entering.

Close the damn border.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
If his communication skills are so pitiful, how was he able to make it from El Salvador to the US?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:41:49 AM EDT
[#5]
How can he not completely understand why he's on trial? If you rape and murder a girl and then get hauled off, it's pretty fucking easy to figure out why you're on trial. It's just more bullshit from the apologists.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:52:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Rope + Tree = Solution
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:56:56 AM EDT
[#7]
What can you possibly say about this.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:59:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

"Fetch me a rope"?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:10:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Rope + Tree = Solution

+1

Or feet first through a wood chipper.
Fucking animal...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have a nice tall tree and privacy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:17:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Projected population by the year 2050 is one half billion the majority of which will be illegal immigration, I am kinda happy cause when this shit spreads all over there is a chance something will be done...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:27:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How can he not completely understand why he's on trial? If you rape and murder a girl and then get hauled off, it's pretty fucking easy to figure out why you're on trial. It's just more bullshit from the apologists.

Not being albe to talk or hear... and then I'm assuming  being only marginally literate.. in Spanish...

It's easy to believe that this guy doesn't understand the American ideals of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

It's also easy to believe that when he's show a picture of her mangled rotting corpse, that he will know what he did, why he is there, and why he will be denied freedom.  Posibly denied his own right to live, well, if society is lucky.  

I find it ironic that courts are in a rush to gurantee the rights of such individuals, especially when there is DNA evidence and no likely relative that could have done it....

But yet, don't you do something wrong if your a white christian... fuck no... they'll shoot your wife and baby before they burn your house down.  AND THEN, tax the hell out of whatever you leave your surviving children...  Amerika... bah!  

ETA:  For all the flag waving and bible thumping that goes on around here, most folks are missing the point that this country is FUBAR.  And that is a verifiable fact.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:27:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...I am kinda happy cause when this shit spreads all over there is a chance something will be done...

I'm really starting to wonder if that will even warrant a response.

Too many business owners will be screaming for joy over all the cheap labor.

Damn we need to enforce the hiring laws.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:28:30 AM EDT
[#14]

They didn't say he can't/won't be charged, just that they had to teach him to communicate enough to help in his own defense.  

They can still fry em.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:30:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They didn't say he can't/won't be charged, just that they had to teach him to communicate enough to help in his own defense.  

They can still fry em.

I'm glad to see that at least one other person here besides myself was able to read and understand this part of the article;

Oswaldo Martinez, a 33-year-old illegal immigrant, was ordered Thursday to receive language training at a state mental hospital to make him competent to stand trial in the rape and murder of 16-year-old Brittany Binger.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can still fry em.

I'm glad to see that at least one other person here besides myself was able to read and understand this part of the article;

Send him to a Hooked on Phonics course if thats what it takes...

Then string his ass up....
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#17]
WE have the Chair here and I think he can learn every thing he needs to know if he sets in it long enuff for someone to flip the switch.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:57:19 AM EDT
[#18]

was ordered Thursday to receive language training at a state mental hospital to make him competent to stand trial in the rape and murder of 16-year-old Brittany Binger

So, where does it say he got off?

He gets locked up in a mental hospital (go rent Nicholson's One Flew Over ...).

Once he can communicate, he gets a nice trial and a first class hanging...

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Under state law, capital murder defendants who are incompetent to stand trial remain institutionalized while undergoing treatment for their condition. If competency can't be restored quickly, hearings are held every six months to assess the treatment and the defendant's competency level.

His "condition"......I guess his mom\keepers\village didn't teach him that it was wrong
to kidnap\rape\kill little girls...............
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Deaf-mute my ass.. illegals are like pool balls, the harder you hit them, the more english you get
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I am kinda happy cause when this shit spreads all over there is a chance something will be done...

I'm really starting to wonder if that will even warrant a response.

Too many business owners will be screaming for joy over all the cheap labor.

Damn we need to enforce the hiring laws.

Youre right, bottom line is cheap labor.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Toss a rope around his neck, he'll start getting the picture.  Patty
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#23]
If he is competent enough to rape and murder, he is competent enough to die for it.  It's not like they need his testimony if they have DNA evidence.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Wonder if he could "feel" a hot bullet enter his ear canal?

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top