Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 8:00:01 PM EDT
I remember hearing of subsonic .22 rounds and also of .22 bullets made out of pressed powder. Whats the deal with this? Cabrelli or some such rings a bell. Do they come both subsonic and pressed powder?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I know of one subsonic 22 round that has what is essentially a bad ass primer, no powder charge.  Don't know about the bullets though.  I think the brand name started with an A.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Dynamit Nobel makes some BB Caps that are a big-ass charge of primer.

Likewise, Aguila makes some "primer only" rounds.
(but it is Eley primed, and not the same old green powder type primer that most rimfires use)

CCI makes CB shorts and longs, but there is a pinch of smokeless in them.

And remington used to make subsonic rounds.  Haven't seen them in a while though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Colibri. There's also Super Colibri, and the Sniper SSS stuff.

All from Aguila.
All wonderful.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
CCI makes sub-sonic ammo. Basically, any round shot out of a .22 pistol with a 5.5" barrel or shorter will be sub-sonic.

ETA don't know about any frangable .22 rounds but someone makes a scored round that splits apart in 3 chunks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quickshock was the name of the ammo with the scored bullets, I think..Triton made them at one time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dynamit Nobel makes some BB Caps that are a big-ass charge of primer.

Likewise, Aguila makes some "primer only" rounds.
(but it is Eley primed, and not the same old green powder type primer that most rimfires use)

CCI makes CB shorts and longs, but there is a pinch of smokeless in them.

And remington used to make subsonic rounds.  Haven't seen them in a while though.

Aguila, that's what I was talking about TY
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
SNIP....

Did they stop making them?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SNIP....

Did they stop making them?

They still have it listed on their website.
www.remington.com/ammo/rimfire/22rfammo.htm

And CTD has it in stock.
www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=AMM%2D084&thru=fr&mscssid=R6C09SG6SF298KNVLXXQ6WPMAUHD8ED1
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]
You can get subsonic ammo from RWS and Lapua as well.  I shoot the RWS 40 gr. Hollow Point a lot for varmint control with great succss.  

Find lots of .22 ammo to look at here www.22ammo.com/subsonic.html.

Most of the primer only loads don't get the velocity of the powdered loads, but if you don't have a suppressor and want something very quiet the CB caps made by CCI are the ticket.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The Aguila .22 Super Colibri is some really quiet stuff when you fire it through a rifle.   Aguila warns that it should only be fired in a pistol (worried that it mike get stuck in a rifle barrel due to its low velocity), but I have not had any problem using it in my NEF 22.  The loudest part of firing it is the sound the hammer makes.  If you use it in a rifle just make sure that the bullet didn’t stick in the barrel before you fire another shot.

I bought the Super Colibri from www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=AMM%2D066&thru=fr&mscssid=R6C09SG6SF298KNVLXXQ6WPMAUHD8ED1' target='_new'>CTD when they had it on sale for $5 a brick, its now $20 a brick.  Damn, I wish I had bought more.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top