Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 5:46:54 PM EDT
2003, Buick Regal, supercharged 3800, "Joesph Aboud' edition. (Factory custom leather interior, special badging and paint)

How do you pick a future collectable?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

By demand. Rariety in itself will not automatically delegate something as a "collectable".

If I had to bet, I'd say your Buick, while quite fast, won't quite make the top 10 list.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By demand. Rariety in itself will not automatically delegate something as a "collectable".

If I had to bet, I'd say your Buick, while quite fast, won't quite make the top 10 list.

It is no race car.

It is simply very different from the rest of the crop. I think it is the last year the option was offered.

I've been googling since I first posted and am no closer to "drive it till it drops" as opposed to "WTF are you thinking? tarp it and talk to me in 20 years."
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry bro, but no.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
If you need a few cars as "yard ornaments" I am sure there are quite a few people here who could give you a hand.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you need a few cars as "yard ornaments" I am sure there are quite a few people here who could give you a hand.

Dudemon!
I'm gonna drop a full ammo can on your foot at the next shoot!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've been googling since I first posted and am no closer to "drive it till it drops" as opposed to "WTF are you thinking? tarp it and talk to me in 20 years."

Flip a coin? Have you checked the Blue Book value over the last serveral years to see if there's been any sort of jump in value comparing other Buick models w/o the supercharger???? If there's a trend, that might help you, if not, drive the SOB.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dudemon!

That was of course not a shot at your ride yo.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dudemon!

I luv ya brah...(and not in a prison kinda way)

I can take a joke.
::grinning::

You will have to help me design a "barbeque gun" for a cook out next summer.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Go buy a full Joseph Aboud wardrobe, and seal it, inside the car, in a plastic bubble for 30 years.

Or, drive it like a regular car.  

Wait till gas gets really high and buy quintessential cars from the 80s and early 90s that ppl will be dumping because they cant afford to enjoy them because of gas.

Older Porsche 911s
First gen Viper
either version Corvette ZR1

These will be the next set of collector cars, and we'll be kicking ourselves for not buying that ZR1 for $28k 15 years from now.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dudemon!

I luv ya brah...(and not in a prison kinda way)

I can take a joke.
::grinning::

You will have to help me design a "barbeque gun" for a cook out next summer.

I would be willing to bet we can get the coals going with the muzzle blast off that Mossburg of yours!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Go buy a full Joseph Aboud wardrobe, and seal it, inside the car, in a plastic bubble for 30 years.

Or, drive it like a regular car.  

Wait till gas gets really high and buy quintessential cars from the 80s and early 90s that ppl will be dumping because they cant afford to enjoy them because of gas.

Older Porsche 911s
First gen Viper
either version Corvette ZR1

These will be the next set of collector cars, and we'll be kicking ourselves for not buying that ZR1 for $28k 15 years from now.  

Don'f forget the correct Buick, the GRAND NATIONAL!
there is no percieved collector value to your car. It wasn't the last rear drive one, it's not the fastest ever, it's not like they had to be ordered from the factory with a 6 month wait.  In short, even though not many were sold, there's not much demand.
other collector cars will be:
last Z28 camaro's/Trans am's, LT1 Impala SS (not the new ones) ZR1 Corvettes, T-types and Grand Nationals (really nice ones are still over 10 grand) and maybe supercharged Ford Lightnings.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#12]
If you had a 1970 Buick GS 455 Ram Air 4 speed most definitely. With this one just
put on your plaid pants & white shoes and enjoy the drive to the golf course
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#13]
GNs were cheap in the mid 90s and have already started going up, thats why I didn't list them.

A T-Type is about as good to me, but a collector in the future will have to have an 86 or 87 GN.  

GNXs are already stupid expensive, but they were like a 30k car in 1987

There might be a market for Ford Lightnings, nice Hemi Rams, and of course that Viper V10 Ram (hell I dont pay attention to trucks but I'm sure someone does).  Historically we dont have anything to base it on other than what happened in the 1970s when gas guzzling muscle cars were 2-10 years old and could be picked up for nothing because no one wanted to put gas in them.

The latest Mustang Cobra, but those are still dropping in price, and this gas spike should cause the bottom of them to fall out.  Why would someone want 390 supercharged hp (just a pulley and chip away from much more) when they could have a hybrid or diesel VW?

Kids had ZR1s and Vipers on thier wall, and these can be picked up for under 35k now (probably less if you look, going off the top of my head).  

Some 911SCs from the early 80s are less than 15k but many are basketcases.  I'm not sure if they'll have collector value.  Perhaps the Targa models, C4s, and of course Turbos will though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Remember the X-11 Chevy Citation? Yea, about that collectible.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Wrong Buick. Find a 1987 GNX and give it about 15 years. 0-60 in 4.3, roughly 560 built and definitely one of the baddest Buicks ever to grace the planet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It's a stupid family car. 4 door, measly 6 cyl 240hp so not going to spark interest in the performance market like the Dodge Magnum with it's currently available 425HP Hemi V6

Let see how to pick a future collector.  Dodge Magnum with police package, Ford mustang with words shelby/corbra/mach or anything similar,

I vote no on the Buick.

Perhaps you should look into collecting the Dodge Caravan Disney Edition.

www.autointell-news.com/News-2003/July-2003/July-2003-3/July-16-03-p3.htm

Ya know....

I ask a question.
I get some decent, well reasoned answers.
Then I get the token asshole.

Edited to add:
If I had my personal choice of "early iron" to grab....
1941 Dodge "Luxury Liner" would be my choice.. and if you don't get it?... Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Enjoy the car while it's still in good working order.

There is nothing particularly noteworthy or desireable about these vehicles that would indicate a good candidate for storage. As stated it's demand that makes a car valuable. I just don't see a big demand for them in the future.

That's not to say that they aren't nice cars, just nothing captivating from a collectors viewpoint.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Ya know....

I ask a question.
I get some decent, well reasoned answers.
Then I get the token asshole.

Well, *I* can't be everywhere all the time.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok...

Concensus is "Drive it till it drops."

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ok...

Concensus is "Drive it till it drops."

Just out of curiosity, what is the current book value on this model?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Edmund's lists it at $14,160 retail
Kelly lists it at $13,425 trade-in
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#23]
WTF is Joseph Aboud?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
WTF is Joseph Aboud?

Jim Aboud's boy.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top