Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 3:05:10 PM EDT
I was at the cemetary with my grandma maintaining my granddad's grave and noticed these Florida boys need a new flag. Looks like the markers need a little bleach as well. Think I should get them a new one and clean them up a bit ? My grandma likes picking out some of the really old markers that look really bad and cleaning them up sometimes, maybe we'll do some of these.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
ETA: No confederate flag on here.

Sounds good to me, I think you should do it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a good Eagle Scout project.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Be careful what you use to clean the old markers.

Bleach may do more harm to them, than good, if they're limestone.  I don't know that for sure, but I think I'd contact a professional first, and ask some questions on non-destructive stone cleaning.  No doubt you'd feel like shit if the bleach went and messed something up.  I know I would.

Just thinking.....  And it's a FINE thing to do, I say !  I love wandering around old cemetaries.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Bleach may do more harm to them, than good, if they're limestone.  I don't know that for sure, but I think I'd contact a professional first, and ask some questions on non-destructive stone cleaning.  No doubt you'd feel like shit if the bleach went and messed something up.  I know I would.

Just thinking.....  And it's a FINE thing to do, I say !  I love wandering around old cemetaries.

Yeah I didn't think of that. B;each hasn't hurt some of the other ones we have done over the years that I can tell. I'll ask the guy I know down at the local funeral home/headstone shop if it could damage them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Where in FL is this?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where in FL is this?

Madison, probably about 30-40 miles from the Olustee battlefield.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I didn't think of that. B;each hasn't hurt some of the other ones we have done over the years that I can tell. I'll ask the guy I know down at the local funeral home/headstone shop if it could damage them.

Some of our oldest cemetaries here have carved slate, brownstone, and even sandstone markers.

It's sad to see how many of them are just crumbling now.  

But then, some of ours date back to the 1600's around here, so I guess it's inevitable, really.

Mother Earth WILL reclaim all things, given enough time.  

Just a shame to see so much history, slowly eroding away.  Good on you for trying to do something !  It's a most noble endeavour, in my eyes.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
You and your Grandma do good.

Respect to you both

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Here ya go FOX, I saw you tried to post an animation earlier, I found this gif.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top