Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 3:03:30 PM EDT
The local Sportsman's Warehouse has some of these in stock.  I'm currently looking at their 24/36 model for $999.  Supposed to be made by Browning (Pro Steel), and has a 1200 degree, 30 minute, fire protection.

How do these safes rate?  They don't appear to be made of a very heavy gauge steel, and Browning website has no information.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You wouldnt be in Tucson would you?.. lol.

I had the exact same question, saw it at the grand opening of the new S.W. store.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a bit further North.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
bump for any possible opinions from the night crew.

and an edit for horrible spelling
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I went to the East Mesa store today with the intention of spending over a grand for one of these safes.  I waited at the counter for at least 20 minutes for someone to help me, but the "experts" at the counter were far too busy with everything but customer service.  Finally, I see a guy walk buy wearing a green S.W. shirt and a name tag.  After a few, "pardon me..." he finally decides to look my way.  I ask him for some help, and he rolls his eyes and finally shuffles off to help me with the safe.

As we get to the safes, the first thing he says is "now, you can't look inside".  Uh, excuse me?  You want me to drop a grand on the safe, but you won't let me inspect the interior?  Yeah, right.  Then he tells me not to bother looking as they don't have any in stock.  He then turns tail and suffles off, while I stand there dumbfounded.  

One of the other employees sees me standing there, and takes pity on me.  He comes over and offers to open the safe, which he promptly does.  I look inside, and everything is okay, except for certain obvious places where people had pulled at the interior, or peeled off some of the decals.  I ask the guy when they might get some more in, and he replies that they have a couple in stock!

About this time, Mr. Greenshirt walks back up, and I get a look at his nametag.  He's the f'ing department manager.  He wants to assure me that, no, they have nothing in stock.  I ask if they sell the floor model.  He growls something like an affirmitive answer, so I ask him how much.  "Sticker price", he replies.  I point out the scrapped off decals, and the other cosmetic issues.  He scoffs and gratiously offers to drop the price by $20.  I inquire as to when they might have more in stock, and he proudly proclaims, "next week.....maybe.  We've been waiting on our order for 6 weeks or so.  They should be here anytime."

OK, I've had enough.

I'm calling a local safe company.  I'll get the Champion Trophy 33 gun safe for $1300.  Better fire rating, and a bit better construction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top