Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2005 9:36:08 AM EDT
What exactly is the attraction of motorcycles to the "outlaw biker" crowd?

I don't mean people like my neighbors, who are middle-aged guys with mid-life crises, or motorcycle afficionados - but the real hard-core guys; gangs who are invovled in the drug trade (and other criminal endeavors).

Why is a motorcycle even remotely practical for that purpose?  I'd think a minivan would be far more useful - you can carry more weapons, hide more dope, sleep in it at night if you are traveling long distances - keep supplies and food in it so you can be more "independent" - and bang your biker-crackwhores in there too.

What's the benefit of a motorcycle?  Is it the fact that maybe you can escape from a police cruiser by driving down a narrow alley, or going off-road?  (Although I'm not sure some of those heavy harleys would do any better off-road than a Crown Vic)

Or is it completely irrational, and just about looking "cool" and "dangerous"?

Or is it somehow an identification with the independent cowboy and pioneer spirit of yesteryear, because a motorcycle vaguely resembles a horse - at least more so than a Chrysler minivan?

Seriously - if I was in charge of an outlaw biker gang, we'd have armored minivans with big V8s, and we'd wipe the floor with any competing gangs on their motorcycles.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#2]
minivans are scary! what would you call your "gang"? satan's caravan???
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a minivan and I am quite cool and dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Most "outlaw" bikers I see are yuppies who put their bikes on trailers if they travel far and play dress up to go bar hopping.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Its much harder to get bugs in your hair and teeth with a mini van.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#6]
its due to the poor gas mileage
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Smaller, better gas milage, easier to maintain.

Also signifys a more simple excistance, "My motorcycle carries me and all I need" type of thing.

Oh, and because everyone else in the gang has one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
compensating
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#9]
One word: Turbovan

For those times when you want to be really inconspicuous carrying all those hookers and blow, but still want the ability for a fast getaway.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Most "outlaw" bikers I see are yuppies who put their bikes on trailers if they travel far and play dress up to go bar hopping.

+10000

I still get a kick out of all the yuppies who used to look down their nose at me for riding my panhead who now try to buddy up at the bar.

Early Harley riders did it out of wanting to be free from "the man" and his rules,it's a shame that some have taken it way too far ow and have gotten into the whole drug dealer thing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That is a funny post !!
Actually with much more insight than one would guess from first glancing at it.

The fact is that real outlaws/gangsters/criminals don't drive motorcycles as a primary mode of transportation.
The great majority of 1%er "outlaw" biker types are just bar brawlers, blue collar types.  They may not be nice company or the kinda guys you want pissed at you.  But they really are not part of any "organized" criminal element.

Entire gangs are virtually never involved in a organized criminal trade.  But they may have fringe elements inside the club that commit serious criminal acts, and it is then portrayed as a 'club activity'.
. . . .and they will probably drive cars and mini vans when conducting business

Interesting - so form does follow function for the SERIOUS outlaws.   That's reassuring (I guess)

Thanks for the education.  I swear I learn something on arfcom every day!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why is a motorcycle even remotely practical for that purpose?  I'd think a minivan would be far more useful - you can carry more weapons, hide more dope, sleep in it at night if you are traveling long distances - keep supplies and food in it so you can be more "independent" - and bang your biker-crackwhores in there too.

What's the benefit of a motorcycle?  

They are fun as hell!!!  Outlaws are risktakers.  Plus there is that whole iron horse american icon thing (loud black bikes are intimidating).

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#14]
'Cause minivans are boooooooring.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That is a funny post !!

The fact is that real outlaws/gangsters/criminals don't drive motorcycles as a primary mode of transportation.
The great majority of 1%er "outlaw" biker types are just bar brawlers, blue collar types.  They may not be nice company or the kinda guys you want pissed at you.  But they really are not part of any "organized" criminal element.

Entire gangs are virtually never involved in a organized criminal trade.  But they may have fringe elements inside the club that commit serious criminal acts, and it is then portrayed as a 'club activity'.

Hm.. gonna be hard to convince someone that the Hells Angels are a good ol' boys motorcycle riding group when they're responsible for the trafficking of nearly all meth in America.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#16]
If you're a criminal you want a windowless tradesman van. Minivans have passenger windows that are easy for Johnny Law to look through when you're doing crimes.

The cops around here probably have more insight.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#17]
What kind of pussy whipped faggot would drive a mini van?

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Its much harder to get bugs in your hair and teeth with a mini van.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Agreed! I'll drive a minivan when they start coming equipt with a penis holder.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Should see the real outlaw bikers we have around SA.

Not folks to be fucked with.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

What kind of outlaw would drive a soccer mom mobile ?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

What kind of outlaw would drive a soccer mom mobile ?

You got it...an outlaw soccer mom.  She's running, and she ain't gonna stop.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#24]
The current method when the guys are "working" is to drive a four wheel vehicle, often a truck or van, if they have one. That's been done since way back in the sixties, when a great method for a long road trip was to take a truck with some sort of tank in the back, full of gas. Since the biggest fashion during the heyday of motorcycle gangs was the tiny one or two gallon "peanut" tank, they would have had to stop every 50-75 miles for gas, but a hose run from the tank to the gas tank on the bike would allow siphoning, or in flight refueling.

Those trucks also were used as "war wagons" when the gangs were openly at war, to carry the majority of weapons needed to continue the fight.

Now, I suspect most do use trucks or vans when they are working, for the reasons you listed. I made great "friends" with a black biker club from South Florida at Daytona one year, they even invited me to prospect in the club if I wanted, even though I am far from their demographic as one could possibly get. I later found out that their business was running merchandise from South Florida up into Atlanta, Birmingham and the like, and my house was nearly perfect for a halfway stopping point to crash.

Back to the point, I believe they do use four wheel vehicles more than you would believe, but it just wouldn't be good business to go around in a van with "Hells Lovers Dope Transport Vehicle" stenciled on the side.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Outlaw bikers (1%'s) do ride their bikes as a primary mode of transportation.  When they are transporting narcotics or weapons they drive cars, trucks, or vans and they do not where their colors.  When they ride in groups or go on a run there are members of the gang following in autos who are not wearing colors and heavily armed.  True 1%'s such as the Hell's Angels and the Mongols are the real deal.  They're hardcore criminals and will kill without hesitation.  

"Under And Alone" is a good read.  It was written by an under cover ATF agent who infiltrated the Mongols.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is a funny post !!

Hm.. gonna be hard to convince someone that the Hells Angels are a good ol' boys motorcycle riding group when they're responsible for the trafficking of nearly all meth in America.

There is a Sons of Silence chapter in my old patrol area.  Clubhouse has full exterior surveillance and hardened doors.    They mostly keep low profile and keep their activities in different county.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I've seen them use pickups with campers in the beds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#28]
simply put,....Its a way of life
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#29]
The Hell's Angels even ride their bikes in the winter in Alaska; I've seen them.  The Sons of Silence and the Outlaws ride their bikes here in FL as well.  They get noticed this way.  The very higher ups may not ride but the enforcers and such are on two wheels all the time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is a funny post !!

There is a Sons of Silence chapter in my old patrol area.  Clubhouse has full exterior surveillance and hardened doors.    They mostly keep low profile and keep their activities in different county.www.sonsofsilence.com/Images/SOSNation_02.gif

I'm in a SOS county, no activity in my city though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#31]
$3 per gallon.  Do the math.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

So they WERE riding minvans up to now, but just recently switched to motorcycles?  

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So they WERE riding minvans up to now, but just recently switched to motorcycles?  

It must be so.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
minivans are scary! what would you call your "gang"? satan's grand caravan???

The lord of darkness requires nothing but the best
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#35]
It seems like a combination of yuppee fags and bar brawlers mostly.......I can't really see the attraction........I'd rather have a badass truck loaded down with AR's and Ammo Cans.......

Harley's are TRENDY now........there was a time and place - but now they are more likely then not - big-roller white collar workers with a complex over their manhood.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Driving ...they were driving minivans but now they ride motorcycles.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me fail english?  That's unpossible!  

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would have been funny anyway but I saw that episode (ETA making it even more hilarious).
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Get away from the MAN on a HARLEY??

HAHAHAA!

For the most part they are not HOGS but LEGS.....Loud Exhaust Go Slow.    I have taken NUMEROUS Harley's in my Maxima...

Now, one of those tricked out customs, like West Coast or OCC,  HP vs Weight, with those nice S&S motors..... those have some balls, as well as the simple 883 sportster.... but the big stockers...

A JOKE, There is not ONE have have not passed on the highway, because anything over 85 and they are horrible.

ETA:   Where's my popcorn...?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#41]

I bet their van would look like the A-Team's van. Painted black, tinted, lowered, with few windows and armor plating welded on the inside.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
 True 1%'s such as the Hell's Angels and the Mongols are the real deal.  They're hardcore criminals and will kill without hesitation.  

+1...The Outlaws are in the same camp...

Here is an interesting site to check out:

www.obworld.com/
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/images/2005/03/07/a_team_400x300.jpg

I bet their van would look like the A-Team's van. Painted black, tinted, lowered, with few windows and armor plating welded on the inside.

See - that's what my gang would have.  Maybe add some louvred slots for shooting out of.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Get away from the MAN on a HARLEY??

HAHAHAA!

For the most part they are not HOGS but LEGS.....Loud Exhaust Go Slow.    I have taken NUMEROUS Harley's in my Maxima...

Now, one of those tricked out customs, like West Coast or OCC,  HP vs Weight, with those nice S&S motors..... those have some balls, as well as the simple 883 sportster.... but the big stockers...

A JOKE, There is not ONE have have not passed on the highway, because anything over 85 and they are horrible.

ETA:   Where's my popcorn...?  

Different bikes for different purposes. I'm sure your Maxima will also outrun any motard bike that is made, but have fun in the corners. And btw...my HD has been up to 115 speedo indicated, but I'm not in the stock category.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Because "outlaw minivan driver" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#46]
As a wee one, I remember seeing full sized station wagons outside a biker bar.  I'm quessing the wagons were their "rainy day" ride.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would have been funny anyway but I saw that episode (ETA making it even more hilarious).

I won!  I won!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
It seems like a combination of yuppee fags and bar brawlers mostly.......I can't really see the attraction........I'd rather have a badass truck loaded down with AR's and Ammo Cans.......

Harley's are TRENDY now........there was a time and place - but now they are more likely then not - big-roller white collar workers with a complex over their manhood.

... Fuck off asshole

... This biker is neither a homosexual nor an unprovoked fighter, I'm attracted to the act of riding - period.

... So you don't have a nice, big badass truck loaded with ARs and ammo - Please, do tell why not.

... Trendy-shemdy, I've been in the saddle for 30 years, it ain't about fashion, it's about passion - but you won't ever know anything about either fuckstick.

... I'm comfortable with my manhood, riding in the wind and seeing the country-side has nothing to with manhood - it's about living life to its fullest, porch-sitter.

... Were you born this stupid or did you just get handed a shitty deal in life and take it out on others in the form of obvious jealousy?

My version of a "minivan" ...

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... Fuck off asshole

... This biker is neither a homosexual nor an unprovoked fighter, I'm attracted to the act of riding - period.

... So you don't have a nice, big badass truck loaded with ARs and ammo - Please, do tell why not.

... Trendy-shemdy, I've been in the saddle for 30 years, it ain't about fashion, it's about passion - but you won't ever know anything about either fuckstick.

... I'm comfortable with my manhood, riding in the wind and seeing the country-side has nothing to with manhood - it's about living life to its fullest, porch-sitter.

... Were you born this stupid or did you just get handed a shitty deal in life and take it out on others in the form of obvious jealousy?

My version of a "minivan" ...

x4.putfile.com/9/26822063187.jpg

Just to be clear - I am not in any way knocking the biker afficionados.  That bike looks AWESOME !  

What I'm asking is that IF some were part of a criminal gang, and need to do all sorts of stuff (like moving merchandize, stealing stuff, killing people, etc.) then it seems like a motorcycle is NOT the ideal mode of transportation.

Obviously, if you enjoy riding bikes - then there is no better mode of transportation.  

Sorry if my original post was unclear (even though I realize your above response was not directed at me personally, I worry that I might have inadvertently offended you and others.  Not my intent at all)
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Watch this movie.  It will give a fairly accurate view of the outlaw biker lifestyle.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Plenty of gunplay and other excitement.

Beyond The Law

PS - Don't be a dildo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top