Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 6:51:00 AM EDT

For those of you who are blessed to live in an area not infested with lovebugs, you can't understand what a pain in the ass they are.  

The urban legend is that this bug was modified by the University of Florida to breed quickly and prey on mosquitoes, thus solving a major problem for people in the southern states.  Tragically, all that these bugs actually do is breed.  They fly around in pairs attached at the rear, and are literally everywhere.

My biggest problem with them is how they smear themselves all over the grill and windshield of my vehicle.  I spent  30 minutes last night just washing the front of my vehicle, trying to get the crusty bug-guts out of the grill.  And I just washed the vehicle four days ago.

At night it sounds like rain drops hitting the windshield, they are so thick around here.  I've seen vehicles on long trips that were smeared nearly black by thousands of little bodies.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunatly the best way to kill love bugs is with a car. Little bastards!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
At least when they hit your winshield they die.

The reason they stay attached is that after mating the female secretes a enzyme that turns the male's internals into goo...so that she can feed off him for a couple days.

They are a pain in the ass.  You sure do go through a lot of windshield wiper fluid.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Flamethower, mounted on the bumper, pumping out a 40 foot wall of flame... drive around with that, bbq'd bugs before they hit the bumper.

Those fuckers were all over South Alabama too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad, in Hattiesburg, MS says it's the worst season yet for lovebugs
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got back from the gulfport ms region and they are everywhere. Southern AL was the worst, every car you pass has thousands of them plastered on the front of the car & windshield. If you leave your door open for more than 2 seconds at a gas station you are going to have about 10-20 of the couples to evict.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's my solution: Clean and apply wax but don't wipe off the wax until the first 'cool snap'.

Lovebugss came from Centeral America (see Snopes).
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I see your jihad and raise you a fatwa!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#8]
WTF are lovebugs?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Black Flag propane-fueled fogger.  Cabelas has the best buy on the insecticide.

There is another brand of fogger out there that is propane fired.  Don't bother with the electric model, it is a wimp.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
For those of you who are blessed to live in an area not infested with lovebugs, you can't understand what a pain in the ass they are.  

The urban legend is that this bug was modified by the University of Florida to breed quickly and prey on mosquitoes, thus solving a major problem for people in the southern states.  Tragically, all that these bugs actually do is breed.  They fly around in pairs attached at the rear, and are literally everywhere.

My biggest problem with them is how they smear themselves all over the grill and windshield of my vehicle.  I spent  30 minutes last night just washing the front of my vehicle, trying to get the crusty bug-guts out of the grill.  And I just washed the vehicle four days ago.

At night it sounds like rain drops hitting the windshield, they are so thick around here.  I've seen vehicles on long trips that were smeared nearly black by thousands of little bodies.

Whered ya hear that urban legend???? Yeah we have them here, you have to stop at gas stations just to wipe them off becuase you stop being able to see.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WTF are lovebugs?

Lovebugs
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
WTF are lovebugs?

Yeah! wtf?! Never heard of them. Pics!?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF are lovebugs?

Lovebugs

Damn, you keep them down there, okay?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought he was talking about VWs like Herbie!  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Every couple years here in AZ we get WEIRD infestations.

In the late 80s early 90s it was SpadeFoot Toads.

Early 90s it was Cabbage moths, EVERYWHERE!!!!! Lil white bugs about .5mm long and thick like mist in places. The school temorarily lifted its ban on bandanas so we could get to classes alive.

Then it was Crickets, then it was Locusts.

Pretty weird.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I've found that soft water and simple green cuts them pretty quick. They're really bad this fall.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The reason they stay attached is that after mating the female secretes a enzyme that turns the male's internals into goo...so that she can feed off him for a couple days.

Sounds like my Ex-wife.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#18]
yeah, keep the love bugs. I have enough problems up here with the biting ladybug swarms in the garage and in the house
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#19]
For those who don't have lovebugs (I didn't know that's what they were called) you guys can have all of the ones around my house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top