Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 4:38:40 AM EDT
By Brian DeBose
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published September 30, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Bush Cabinet officer predicted this week that New Orleans likely will never again be a majority black city, and several black officials are outraged.

Alphonso R. Jackson, secretary of housing and urban development, during a visit with hurricane victims in Houston, said New Orleans would not reach its pre-Katrina population of "500,000 people for a long time," and "it's not going to be as black as it was for a long time, if ever again."

Rep. Danny K. Davis, Illinois Democrat and a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, quickly took issue.

"Anybody who can make that kind of projection with some degree of certainty or accuracy must have a crystal ball that I can't see or maybe they are more prophetic than any of us can imagine," he said.

Other members of the caucus said the comments by Mr. Jackson, who is black, could be misconstrued as a goal, particularly considering his position of responsibility in the administration.

"I would beg and hope that the secretary, if that is what he is saying, would re-evaluate the situation," said Elijah E. Cummings, Maryland Democrat.

Mr. Jackson, whose remarks were reported by the Houston Chronicle, said New Orleans might reach a population of 375,000 people sometime late next year with a black population of about 40 percent at the highest, down from 67 percent before Hurricane Katrina sent a storm surge that overwhelmed New Orleans levees and flooded 80 percent of the city.

The population of New Orleans before Katrina was a little less than 500,000, surrounded by large, predominantly white suburbs. The largely black Ninth Ward and the predominantly white middle-class Lakeview section near Lake Pontchartrain were overwhelmed by floodwaters.

Mr. Jackson, a former developer and longtime government housing official, said the history of urban reconstruction projects shows that most blacks will not return and others who want to might not have the means or opportunity. His agency will play a critical role in the city's redevelopment through various grant programs, including those for damaged or destroyed properties.

In the storm's aftermath, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and Rep. Maxine Waters, California Democrat, charged that relocating evacuees across the country was "racist" and designed to move black people, who overwhelmingly vote Democratic, out of Louisiana. The state elected its first Republican senator, David Vitter, in nearly a century in 2004.

Both the preacher and the congresswoman suggested that the residents be housed at the closed England Air Force Base at Alexandria, La., to keep them closer to home.

Rep. Bobby L. Rush, Illinois Democrat, said Alphonso Jackson's remarks and the prospects of real-estate speculators and developers in New Orleans are "foreboding."

"Gentrification is a demon that is looming on the landscape, and we have to be aware of it and vigilant. ... Right now, I don't know if the resistance to it is strong enough," Mr. Rush said.

He said a history of forced removal of blacks from their homes and property cannot be ignored as the reconstruction moves forward.

Two weeks after Katrina, the Congressional Black Caucus issued an eight-point action plan that calls for residents to get the first right of return to the area, that New Orleans residents get first choice of construction jobs and rebuilding contracts and that voting rights be protected.

Many evacuees from the Ninth Ward will likely never be able to return, Mr. Jackson said. He told Mayor C. Ray Nagin that it would be a mistake to rebuild that part of town, the lowest-lying section and prone to flooding.

Mr. Davis said that despite history, he does not think New Orleans will see black migration similar to black migration from Mississippi after the 1927 flood that inundated hundreds of thousands of acres in Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana. Many black farmers and field hands fled to Chicago, Detroit and other cities for a better life in the Midwest.

"New Orleans is not a plantation, not a farm, and I think there will be many efforts to make sure there will be affordable housing and construction job training for residents to rebuild and have the option to return home," he said.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20050929-114710-8545r.htm

Eric The(Gentrified)Hun
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:42:26 AM EDT
[#1]
That's because white entrepaneurs have the money and the balls to re-develop portions of 'Nawlins. Next up will be the brownies because we're going to run the hotels and gas stations. After the groundwork is done, the blacks will show up to complain that "Da Man" and members of "model minorities" are taking over.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:47:44 AM EDT
[#2]
So what, are they expecting.  That they all have their homes built back the way they were.  Move on, your city is gone.  The local govt has a unique opportunity  here to rebuild the city and make it better than it ever was before.  Why on earth would they rebuild it with low in-come housing projects.  I'm not saying make the town "Whiter",  But, spending billions to rebuild low-moderate income housing projects makes no sense to me.  Spend the money wisely and make NOLA, a place to come and see.  A place to visit that offers more than drinking, drugs, violence and the occasional " Boobie Shot"  while filming a GGW episode.  hinking.gif

Dave
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:52:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what they are so mad about. With the black population being 12.8% overall, what do they hope to accomplish with a 80% population base in the city limits?

Oh wait... there's nothing wrong with that statistic in their minds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I posted here three weeks ago that blacks would not relinquish power in New Orleans without a fight.  An effort to rebuild the city contaminated by racial politics is one that will take forever to accomplish. And as I mentioned, the longer people are away, the more likely they will stay away permanently.  New Orleans will become one of history's greatest episodes in the decline of a civilization; all played out right before our eyes.  Oh, what a time to be alive!  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#5]

A Bush Cabinet officer predicted this week that New Orleans likely will never again be a majority black city, and several black officials are outraged.

The downside is our cities took in all the scumbags that made Nawlins such a great town!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Mr. Davis said that despite history, he does not think New Orleans will see black migration similar to black migration from Mississippi after the 1927 flood that inundated hundreds of thousands of acres in Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana. Many black farmers and field hands fled to Chicago, Detroit and other cities for a better life in the Midwest.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A place to visit that offers more than drinking, drugs, violence and the occasional " Boobie Shot"  while filming a GGW episode.

And where do you propose we go when we're after such things?

What an asinine response.  Let's just model it on Pittsburgh....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
the blacks will be back,  the government will make sure of it, even if it means shipping them from other LA counties,

taxpayers will rebuild all of the flooded projects and with brand new housing and offer incentives to them to come back rather than allow a deveoper to create regular non welfare housing

this could of been the perfect way to rid the city of there trash, but no, the'll bring'em back

I can here it now, so you'll give me a 2000 dollar debit card and build me a new crib, dam Jamika, got yo kid, we fixen to get ours.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the blacks will be back,  the government will make sure of it, even if it means shipping them from other LA counties, taxpayers will rebuild all of the flooded projects and with brand new housing and offer incentives to them to come back rather than allow a deveoper to create regular non welfare housing this could of been the perfect way to rid the city of there trash, but no, the'll bring'em back I can here it now, so you'll give me a 2000 dollar debit card and build me a new crib, dam Jamika, got yo kid, we fixen to get ours.

Seeing as how blacks are killing themselves and each other around the world, maybe the US 'gubment is doing it's best to preserve them along the guidelines of the Endangered Species Act.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#10]
That area is just ripe for redevelopment and gentrification.

Plus, I imagine you can do it mostly on Uncle Sugar's dime.

1) Most 'projects' owned by the government will have to be torn down and their land remediated to remove pollutants
2) Most inhabitants of these areas will likely not come back.
3) Government 'Brownfield' grants are given to government owned 'underutilized' and polluted lands.
4) The government will sell these lands for a song, you apply for Brownfield grants, clear out and clean up the land, rebuild 'upper scale' housing and business.
5) Profit

The key would be to find gov't land that is close enough to downtown tourist areas that redevelopment would simply extend tourist areas.

And if all else fails.......use eminent domain to force out the low income residents with the promise to New Orleans that your redevelopment will bring more cash into the area.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#11]
hey I live in pittsburgh, it blows monkey balls, jobs in pittsburgh blow as well, but maximmag does make a point

why would you spend money on low income housing when those who would live there would be more likly to use the system than to contribute to it.  buisness wise, buid up not down,

you build new projects you are going to get the same thing that you had befor the flooding.  if you eliminate this from the equation, you have less people that would start of depending on the system,

and more resources can be used to revitalize the region, rather than to build new projects
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A place to visit that offers more than drinking, drugs, violence and the occasional " Boobie Shot"  while filming a GGW episode.

And where do you propose we go when we're after such things?

What an asinine response.  Let's just model it on Pittsburgh....

?

care to expand?

Quoted:
hey I live in pittsburgh, it blows monkey balls, jobs in pittsburgh blow as well,

Then you need to improve your skill set.

Between the Universities and industry, particularly the health care field, all one needs is a little initiative to find a good job in this town. Couple that with the exceptionally reasonable cost of living, and it's a damn sight better than NO (and quite a few other towns as well)

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I bet land will be cheap down there though. May have to invest...

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#14]
So here's the deal...

If we don't bus the blacks back to NOLA, we are racist biggots for not re-populating the city to it's original demographics.

If we DO bus the blacks back to NOLA, then we are racist biggots for interring them in an urban wasteland  

ETA:  "Does this mean Ann Margaret Halle Berry isn't comming?"  

Oh wait, she's white , nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Whites will require a better levee.

Donno if it's good tho, whites acting black
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Every day this week I have run across someone from NO while at work.  They are frigging everywhere.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#18]
So wait...

These clowns say that we need to be an integrated society, and that all races acting together is a good thing. So when someone talks about essentially re-integrating whites into a predominantly black mini-society the Jesse Jacksons flip out!!?!?!

Evidently turnabout is NOT fair play.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So wait... These clowns say that we need to be an integrated society, and that all races acting together is a good thing. So when someone talks about essentially re-integrating whites into a predominantly black mini-society the Jesse Jacksons flip out!!?!?! Evidently turnabout is NOT fair play.

They can't stop the inevitable. If the ghetto blacks don't improve themselves, they will be swept aside because they can't afford the goods and services to sustain themselves.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#20]
not necesary true about pittsburgh, yes cost of living is reasonable,  outside of finance and health care, pittsburgh is a stagnate city that has issue attracting and keeping the 18-25 crowed,  

I have been  to many cities around the country and although pittsburgh is home, it does not offer half of what other areas offer in terms of employment oppertunities and advancement.

I am about to grauduate from Pitt, and if i were to persue, in town oppertunities, i will be hard pressed to payback student loans, if i leave the area, taking into account cost of living, a better lifestye can be attained.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I am about to grauduate from Pitt, and if i were to persue, in town oppertunities, i will be hard pressed to payback student loans, if i leave the area, taking into account cost of living, a better lifestye can be attained.

Move to TX: lots of Christians, economy is booming, low cost of living, no income tax, lots of guns, GOP dominates.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ETA:  "Does this mean Ann Margaret Halle Berry isn't comming?"  

hahahahah

"New Orleans is a big shit soup, and were all gonna have to take a sip"
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#24]

If you're gunowner: true...
If you're libtard: Not true. Damn hot in summer, damn cold in winter, a bunch of rednecks from various background, Rita comes to mind, etc....

Have to fix 2 things in the liberal viewpoint. Damn global warming in summer, damn global cooling in winter.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I posted here three weeks ago that blacks would not relinquish power in New Orleans without a fight.  An effort to rebuild the city contaminated by racial politics is one that will take forever to accomplish. And as I mentioned, the longer people are away, the more likely they will stay away permanently.  New Orleans will become one of history's greatest episodes in the decline of a civilization; all played out right before our eyes.  Oh, what a time to be alive!  

What???? I'm guessing here, but you are being sarcastic?

N/O is a discusting low city.  The floods can only help it.  The govt (you and me) will have billions stripped from out wallets and poured into N/O in revitalization projects.  Those projects will be DEEPLY and Throughly staffed by GOVT APPOINTED minority 'consultants' who will suck off the Govt tit telling "the man" how to rebuild the city to serve "the people they represent".

This storm was the best thing that has every happened to N/O. I AM NOT BEING SARCASTIC.  Think of all the graft, waste and projects they will buy with our 200 BILLION dollars compliments of the NO BALLS, Politically Correct reponse of Govt.

N/O shall be reborn to be a much bigger and greater welfare tit to it's people.  Thanks to ME and YOU.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top