Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 10:55:08 PM EDT
SKS that accepts AK mags. Is this a good choice for a SHTF rifle? I've only got $150 bucks in it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
$150 is a good price for one but I wouldn't call it the ideal SHTF rifle, get an AK.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Where did you get a D-model for $150? they usually run $300 plus when you can find them.

Is it original or a DREMEL mod?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Where did you get a D-model for $150? they usually run $300 plus when you can find them.

Is it original or a DREMEL mod?

I've had it for 7 or 8 years. Bought it new.

Original
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The SKS-D is probably the shittiest of all the SKSs.  They were all made for the commercial market and generally include every cost cutting, corner cutting, quality reducing measure that the Chinese could come up with for SKSs.  

Think you've seen a bad trigger? You ain't seen shit until you've seen an SKS-D trigger.

That being said, there are SKS fanatics out there who want these rifles.  I posted one for sale on an SKS Board that used to exist about two years ago and literally had an explosive bidding war for the rifle.  I had bought the rifle for $125 when they were imported, it sold for $550 with a bunch of cheesy accessories.

I think they've come down since the ban ended, but I bet you could get $350 + for it still.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one, and it works and is fairly accurate.

Only problem I have had with it is it doesn't like softpoint bullets.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The SKS-D is probably the shittiest of all the SKSs.  They were all made for the commercial market and generally include every cost cutting, corner cutting, quality reducing measure that the Chinese could come up with for SKSs.  

Think you've seen a bad trigger? You ain't seen shit until you've seen an SKS-D trigger.

That being said, there are SKS fanatics out there who want these rifles.  I posted one for sale on an SKS Board that used to exist about two years ago and literally had an explosive bidding war for the rifle.  I had bought the rifle for $125 when they were imported, it sold for $550 with a bunch of cheesy accessories.

I think they've come down since the ban ended, but I bet you could get $350 + for it still.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

I've got one that I paid $239 for, and I see no differences in it what so ever from any other Chinese SKS, or really any SKS for that matter. Maybe you just had the only shitty one ever made.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

I've got one that I paid $239 for, and I see no differences in it what so ever from any other Chinese SKS, or really any SKS for that matter. Maybe you just had the only shitty one ever made.

Yup, I own a couple.

SKS triggers suck ass in the general case, by the way.   Its a sliding sear design.  There's just no way to make that a good trigger.  -D versions or -M versions are about the same.

Mine have been very accurate, and reliable as hell.   You have to get used to inserting the magazines (actually, long 20, 30, and 40 rounders are easier to pivot into place), but I like them.

Plus you can take them to a dickhead "hunter centric" range in a pinch and they won't get you accosted or stared at because they look so tame.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The only problems I ever had with mine was with the 5 round magazines they came with. I had to file the mess out of them before they would lock in place. East European magazines work perfectly. The stocks are absolutely beautiful..
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought one as a beater and put a scope on it and now is one of my favorite guns.

Have set it out side at -40 below and then shot a mag. with it and had one jam (shell did eject all the way) but it was dirty that may have been part of the problem too.

Used to hate the trigger but now like it, seems almost like a 2 stage once I got used to it. Pull it back and it stops and then goes off if pulled any further. (not as good as a Red Star or RRA trigger)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top