Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 10:43:54 PM EDT
and it reminded me of spiked prune juice.  Do they all taste this way?  i'm a bit of a wine fan; this is the first wine product I've really not cared for.  Are ALL port wines the same, because so far, they are teh sux.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats the word....Thunderbird
Whats the price...2 bits twice
Whats the reason...Wine season
Who drinks the most...Us colored folks

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Drinking Port is a misnomer.

Either one "sips" Port....  or as the majority do, one can elect to "water the nearest potted plant" with it and go get a damn Vodka & tonic, with 2 big fat green olives.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Try it with some Roquefort (blue) cheese and grapes as a after dinner wine.  Might change the taste.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Tawny is good...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweet and strong
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
It is excellent, but it must be sipped... with a cigar.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I also tried some ports, about 7 different bottles. None were good. One actually tasted EXACTLY like straight molasses. I also tried a vignoles and it was much better. More of a semi sweet, not so overpowering. I don't know if all vignoles' are this way, but you might try it instead of a port.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Drinking Port is a misnomer.

Either one "sips" Port....  or as the majority do, one can elect to "water the nearest potted plant" with it and go get a damn Vodka & tonic, with 2 big fat green olives.

I'd prefer an Old Fashioned with those olives, thank you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is an interesting wine site: the link here is to their Port page.

Port Wine

I actually haven't drank Port in years. Not really a wine drinker. I prefer Scotch, Rye Whiskey, or Bourbon. Straight, no chaser.

Three whisk(e)y links:

Whisky
Malt Whiskey
Whisky Guide

GL
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:13:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
and it reminded me of spiked prune juice.  Do they all taste this way?  i'm a bit of a wine fan; this is the first wine product I've really not cared for.  Are ALL port wines the same, because so far, they are teh sux.

There are a lot of different ports out there.  What kind did you have?  Ruby? Vintage? Tawny?

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:15:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I've found that most wines taste like boiled ass.   ( yes I've had boiled ass)  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are a lot of different ports out there.  What kind did you have?  Ruby? Vintage? Tawny?

It's called Reserve Port by the Door Peninsula Winery in Door County Wisc.

I don't know if the others you mentioned are similar to it or not.  This has a bit of a spicy taste and is very sweet.  One glass is about all I cared for.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I like Port. You have to sip it. Goes great after dinner. Send me any you don't want.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Tawny is good...

thats how I like it. mmmm. I need some now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate to tell you this...but drinking port is a sure sign of gayness.

DK-Prof has a waiver because he's European.

Sorry.  You're a homo now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I hate to tell you this...but drinking port is a sure sign of gayness.

DK-Prof has a waiver because he's European.

Sorry.  You're a homo now.

wow.  I've never been able to lick my eyebrows with my tongue before now.  wait.........oh, gross...............can I undo gayness?  I'm drinking Budweiser right now.  Does that count?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Usually port wine is offered as the final wine course in a long formal meal and usually with the cigars and after the ladies have been excused...unless they weren't even invited, which is much better.

Drinks before dinner, a dry white with the salad and fish, a mellow deep red with the beef, and port or a good brandy post-meal...sometimes even a sweet white with the desert.

As a veteran of several dinings-in, and out...my preference is always for the males only dining in...although I understand that even that great tradition has now passed the way of the dodo...winninz are really in the mess to stay now.

One of the most fun blowouts I ever experienced was at a dining-in.  To say raucus would be an understatement.  You had to know that the evening was going well when the desert course stripper with the HUGE tatas that the ensigns had thoughtfully ordered (Without our foreknowledge ), danced behind the Catholic O-6 mess chaplain (and personal priest of the CO!) and beat his head from side to side with her wonderfully humongous assets.  She got me too...and the skipper.

Much fun...my dinner mess dress had to go to the cleaners the next day.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry

The other posters are correct - port is not something you'd "drink", in the sense of drinking it with a meal or sitting around drinking port all night.

It is technically a dessert wine/fortified wine - and so you'd most often have it with desert (say with a chocolate dish) or with some cheese.  Port is particularly awesome with some cheeses.  I'll sometimes have a glass or two if I am sitting around in the evening - but it's definitely a small glass sipping kind of drink.

As others have pointed out, there is also quite a variety of port out there - ranging from $10 a bottle to the sky's the limit kind of prices.  Technically, for it to be "real" port it has to be from the Oporto region in Portugal (usually sold through one of the large english Port houses), but there are some pretty good ports from other countries now.  One of the best is "Old Benson" from S.E. Australia.

If anyone else is reading this thread and is curious, I highly recommend the "Warrior" port by Warre's.  You should be able to find it for under $20, and it is a really good representative port from one of the best port houses in the world.  In addition, Warrior is a particularly good port to try for port novices - since it hardly precipitates at all. (Many ports will start to precipitate as soon as they are opened, meaning a nasty sediment builds up if you do not drink it immediately.  Many ports kind of need to be drunk relatively quickly after opening - which sucks if you live alone and just want the occasional glass.  Warrior however, will keep for quite a while - months - without throwing a sediment).

As people try more port, they might decided that they like a particular Tawny, Ruby, Founder's Reserve, Vintage, Late Bottled Vintage, etc. etc  - between the different houses, vinyards, types, years, etc - port can end up being very complicated.  

But sorry again to those that have tried port (on my recommendation) and didn't like it.  I owe you a beer if you're even in St. Louis.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sorry

The other posters are correct - port is not something you'd "drink", in the sense of drinking it with a meal or sitting around drinking port all night.

It is technically a dessert wine/fortified wine - and so you'd most often have it with desert (say with a chocolate dish) or with some cheese.  Port is particularly awesome with some cheeses.  I'll sometimes have a glass or two if I am sitting around in the evening - but it's definitely a small glass sipping kind of drink.

As others have pointed out, there is also quite a variety of port out there - ranging from $10 a bottle to the sky's the limit kind of prices.  Technically, for it to be "real" port it has to be from the Oporto region in Portugal (usually sold through one of the large english Port houses), but there are some pretty good ports from other countries now.  One of the best is "Old Benson" from S.E. Australia.

If anyone else is reading this thread and is curious, I highly recommend the "Warrior" port by Warre's.  You should be able to find it for under $20, and it is a really good representative port from one of the best port houses in the world.  In addition, Warrior is a particularly good port to try for port novices - since it hardly precipitates at all. (Many ports will start to precipitate as soon as they are opened, meaning a nasty sediment builds up if you do not drink it immediately.  Many ports kind of need to be drunk relatively quickly after opening - which sucks if you live alone and just want the occasional glass.  Warrior however, will keep for quite a while - months - without throwing a sediment).

As people try more port, they might decided that they like a particular Tawny, Ruby, Founder's Reserve, Vintage, Late Bottled Vintage, etc. etc  - between the different houses, vinyards, types, years, etc - port can end up being very complicated.  

But sorry again to those that have tried port (on my recommendation) and didn't like it.  I owe you a beer if you're even in St. Louis.

See - I told you it was gay.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Hey - you said I had a waiver.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sorry

One beer.  check.  Maybe i'll swing by to see the arch next year and take you up on your offer.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey - you said I had a waiver.  

That's up until the time that you start wearing spandex and Birkenstocks....and it sounds like your edging your way that direction.  Tread lightly.  Your manhood is at stake.

Well, not that "manhood"...the other manhood...

AHHHHHH - see what you've done!...

I need to go do some pushups or something.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#23]

I'm a huge port fan.

This thread reminds me of my trip to SA last year, sitting in first class sipping port all day ( I think I drank them out of it on the plane, hey it was 12 hours)

Only to be followed up by 3 weeks in SA wine country, and many many more glasses of different LBV's.  

And then crying when I got home and had a broken bottle of LBV in my suitcase.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That's up until the time that you start wearing spandex and Birkenstocks....and it sounds like your edging your way that direction.  Tread lightly.  Your manhood is at stake.

At least I don't own any Birkenstocks  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sorry

I didn't try port, but I'm in St. Louis!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top