Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2001 4:07:34 PM EDT
Having had the chance to briefly study the Street Sweeper but having heard no feedback on it, I wondered if anyone here had any. It seems like a pretty simple design so it should be reliable. Is it? Is it easy to shoot well in home-defense situations, which is what I imagine most people would've bought 'em for? Does that cylinder make it too bulky/heavy? How much did these things go for new? Just curious.[?]
(Edited to add question mark to title)
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know that there were any "pros" to them.

Well, aside from royally honking off the anti's, anyway.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I've heard from the local LEO armorer guys is; it's good the thing was banned.  It was/is a piece of S$%^.

Buy a Remington or Benelli.  Both work good.

Doug  
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
well before they were declared destructive devices (bullSh*t politics agien) i had a chance to shoot one. damn thing IS a piece of shit. jams to damn much
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a benelli or a MsBerg 590.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The folding stock HURT when I fired it.   But they sure look cool.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Pros and cons of the street sweeper....
Well pro would be that when they do come around, they do a pretty good job of getting rid of the loose debris.
The con would be that they pay these gubment workers too much for a service thats not needed.
hope this helps.
[BD] [uzi][whacko][heavy]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Now I always thought the Street Sweepers were full auto? I talked to a guy one time that had a Striker 12 and he said it was full auto, now I'm wondering which is correct, anyone know?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Ditto Phil in Seattle.
Hey, I was gonna say that!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]
 Street sweepers are NOT full auto, and I don't see how one could be made to run full auto without turning it into a sort of 12 Ga. Vulcan cannon type of thing with a motor and batteries and a big burly guy shooting it and muttering "I'll Be Back"
 Anyways, what your friend may have been referring to is a USAS12, which is a fullauto 12 Ga. that some what bears a resemblance to an AR on steroids and is as uncontrollable as an enraged moose.
 The one that I had never jammed and was a blast to shoot. the only problem that I had was that the handle to eject the empties out of the drum skinned my finger pretty bad when I used it.

Pros:
 Intimidating as hell
 12 rounds of your favorite flavor of 12 Ga
 makes you feel like a video game warrior
 Can be stored loaded without spring tension

Cons:
 Drum revolving torques the weapon in your hands
 Folding stock is brutal on the shoulder
 NFA weapon DD
 VERY VERY slow to reload

Chuck
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok since the Street Sweepers aren't full auto then why are they a DD? It doesn't make sense then because most "defense" shotguns hold 7+1  2 3/4 shells and you can get folding stocks for them so I don't see why a SS that only holds 4 more rounds is considered a DD? It just doesn't make sense to me to go thru all the NFA hoops to get 4 rounds ?!?!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#13]
 You are correct, it does not make sense to jump through NFA hoops to get the 4 more rounds.
The only reason to own one is the coolness factor(Thats the only reason that I had one)
I sold it to a dealer who registered it and has it in his collection.
 I believe that they reclassified it because someone drew a line and said that any shotgun that holds over X ammount of rounds is destructive and we need money for you to own it.
 More of that feel good BS.

Chuck
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the info Chuck!
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Pro:  It's less expensive than a Striker 12.

Con:  It's the same thing as a Striker 12, but lower quality and poor workmanship.

If you must get a revolving cylinder 12 ga, get a Striker.  Otherwise, don't bother.

Oh, as for the ban and why...

A Clinton appointee in the treasury found that part defining a large-bore-destructive-device.  He noted that it exempted "sporting shotguns."

Guess what got to be declared unsporting?  The Streetsweeper, Striker 12, and USAS 12.

The SPAS/LAW series guns were left alone, as were pistol-grip shotguns.

Why?  They went after ANY shotgun that was revolving cylinder or too a detachable magazine and had evil features.

The only notable exception is the SPAS-15.  This was omitted probably because the moron in charge didn't know that they existed.  Thus, they are the only legal preban (NON-NFA) shotgun out there that can take a detachable magazine.

Someone told me that cylinder-fed shotguns were made in the 40's but never went anywhere.  I've never seen one or heard corroboration on that, though.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#16]
 There are Russian Baikal shotguns on the market that take detachable mags. I believe that they only hold three or maybe five rounds though.(Non NFA Title 1 weapons)
 I remember awhile back that there was a conversion that would allow one to convert a Remington 1100 to feed from a belt.
 Anyone remember seeing this?? Anyone ever actually see one that was converted or fire one??
 Now that would be a good idea eh!!!!!

Chuck
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're still interested, Long Mountain Outfitters have a bunch of them.  [url]http://www.longmountain.com/sweeper.htm[url]

Old movie prop guns.  Prices are cheap, my guess is they make better movie guns, than they do defensive guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top