Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 1:52:09 PM EDT
Russian SKS, I KNOW it's been refinished, parked or phosphated, were they done at an arsenal like that? Whats one worth? Bayo, nice wood stock, excellent bore, they want 149.00 for it. Worth it? All matching numbers. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Check this site out :

http://www.simonov.net/uberid.htm
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I paid 300+, came with original box and covered with grease.
If it's in great shape I'd say it was worth it. A brand new excellent Yugo is running 200.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Russian SKS, I KNOW it's been refinished, parked or phosphated, were they done at an arsenal like that? Whats one worth? Bayo, nice wood stock, excellent bore, they want 149.00 for it. Worth it? All matching numbers. Thanks all.

Yes the were done at the arsenal for long term storage as reserve weapons. Not all are rearsenaled you can find a occasional original SKS but the vast majority are arsenal rebuilt.

Grap it. Factory rebuilt Soviet SKS are worth $250-350 on the collectors market.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, Called the shop and put it on hold til I pick it up tomorrow. These do have chrome bores, right? It sure looked like it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks guys, Called the shop and put it on hold til I pick it up tomorrow. These do have chrome bores, right? It sure looked like it.

The very first Russian SKS rifles did not have chrome bores.   Everything after the first year had Chrome in the pipe, as did all of the "SINO SOVIOT" rifles where the Chinese build mongrel rifles with some Chinese and some Russion parts after the Reds showed the other Reds how to make the SKSs and got the equipment in place.  

Every other SKS manufactured, except for those of Yugoslavian origin, have chrome bores.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#8]
OK, picked it up today. Laminated wood stock, Frame says  Russian SKS 45. KBI and address.All numbers match, handguard, stock, bolt, frame. Looks as if never fired after refinishing. Came with sling. Bore certainly looks chromed. How can I date it? SN is 8H35xxreverseN. BBL and frame stamped with 28. Tons of other markings on it also, I would imagine proofing marks? Just has a star stamped on the left side. Bore looks unused. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#9]
The top cover should have the year stamped on it
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#10]
There'd have to be something rare or collectable about an SKS that I'd have to pay over $250 for.  I'd have to be assured that there are people out there willing to pay that much for one one before I paid $250 or more. They're OK guns but when they stray into the $300 range, why not just get a Romanian AK?

$149 for a Russian SKS sounds fine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The top cover should have the year stamped on it

All I see on that is the SN# stamped onto the back of it.???
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#12]
All the Russian SKS I've ever seen (and the two I have) have the arsenal mark and date stamped on the top cover.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
All the Russian SKS I've ever seen (and the two I have) have the arsenal mark and date stamped on the top cover.

Not on this one. Can't find it anywhere on it. BTW SN# is on the trigger HSG also.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not on this one. Can't find it anywhere on it. BTW SN# is on the trigger HSG also.

Even so, that's still a good price on an SKS.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even so, that's still a good price on an SKS.

Agreed. Maybe the top cover was replaced at some point in the rifle's history?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Could be a SinoSoviet.

• Does it have a Factory 26 stamp on the side of the
    reciever? /26\

• Does it have an upsize down U on the rear sight leaf?

• Is the barrel pinned or threaded?

• Does the serial number have a cyrillic character followed
    by 4 digits?

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could be a SinoSoviet.

• Does it have a Factory 26 stamp on the side of the
    reciever? /26\

• Does it have an upsize down U on the rear sight leaf?

• Is the barrel pinned or threaded?

• Does the serial number have a cyrillic character followed
    by 4 digits?

Has a 28 stamped on the BBL and on the receiver.
BBL is threaded
U on the sight leaf but my Norinco has the same thing
BH followed by 4 diget number then reversed N. SN# is the same everywhere on rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top