Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 11:03:02 AM EDT
I've been talking with a guy on and off about certain topics.  Well, it has moved to the political arena and it turns out he is a liberal.  He went on to talk about how the Republican party is responsible for how bad the political climate is today, how the Repubs have increased federal spending faster than any other president, etc.  I'd like to debate him, but unfortunately I'm not sure of specific facts that can refute his views.  Can ya'll point me to some websites where I may gather facts about the Parties, etc.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Might I suggest a taser ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#2]
The sad truth is that the Republicans ARE spending more than any one ever has before. Conservative my ass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

or perhaps a crowbar?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Liberals will be liberals and therefore irrational regardless of how many facts you present to them.  It's sad but true.  Good luck to you.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

or perhaps a crowbar?

Ted Nugent will loan you his.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The sad truth is that the Republicans ARE spending more than any one ever has before. Conservative my ass.

They are spending a good bit,  but also things cost a heck of a lot more now than they did just 10 yrs ago.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've been talking with a guy on and off about certain topics.  Well, it has moved to the political arena and it turns out he is a liberal.  He went on to talk about how the Republican party is responsible for how bad the political climate is today, how the Repubs have increased federal spending faster than any other president, etc.  I'd like to debate him, but unfortunately I'm not sure of specific facts that can refute his views.  Can ya'll point me to some websites where I may gather facts about the Parties, etc.  Thanks!

Son, wake UP! Bush HAS (w/ congress' help - but that's Republican "ruled" increased spending faster than any other president! It's really HARD to argue against REALITY! (Not that this STOPS some from TRYING, mind you... it's just difficult).

The political climate thing is a tad too "subjective" to argue effectively, but, IMO the liberals "started it" (some of "it" anyway) and the Republicans are just following their example..... both parties suck, both are full of crooks and immoral asshats. Not that a FEW decent folks are in one party or the other... unfortunately they are far apart and few between. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Son, wake UP! Bush HAS (w/ congress' help - but that's Republican "ruled" increased spending faster than any other president! It's really HARD to argue against REALITY! (Not that this STOPS some from TRYING, mind you... it's just difficult).

The political climate thing is a tad too "subjective" to argue effectively, but, IMO the liberals "started it" (some of "it" anyway) and the Republicans are just following their example..... both parties suck, both are full of crooks and immoral asshats. Not that a FEW decent folks are in one party or the other... unfortunately they are far apart and few between. YMMV.

I'm with the dyke!  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#9]
are you sure he isn't a libertarian?

they're crazy too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...immoral asshats...

veddy veddy intheresting...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...immoral asshats...

veddy veddy intheresting...

Oh please. While I am not a big fan of gay marriage, simply because I do not think that the tax benefits of marriage should be given to people who are not going to be bringing more future taxpayers into the world. to call it immoral to have sex with the person you are atttacted to is absurd.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#12]
You know the whole argument of the Republicans spending so much can be answered pretty simply.  War's expensive.  They attacked us, we're getting it done.  We've also given bookoo bucks in foriegn aid from devistating natural disasters and have had a few ourselves [including the not so natural disaster of 911 that nearly shut down our economy].

Patty
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You know the whole argument of the Republicans spending so much can be answered pretty simply.  War's expensive.  They attacked us, we're getting it done.  We've also given bookoo bucks in foriegn aid from devistating natural disasters and have had a few ourselves [including the not so natural disaster of 911 that nearly shut down our economy].

Patty

That can certainly cover SOME of it, Patty, but not ALL of it... especially since we've apparently had problems supplying the troops with BASICS (IMO) like say.... body armor??? (I did see a thread that suggested they might be (somewhat) rectifying that after... oh, 4 YEARS! But that's not all of it.

And certainly it didn't HELP (financial/lives of our troops) matters any that Clinton had been NEGLECTING the military for 8 years prior... but that's STILL not ALL of it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

That can certainly cover SOME of it, Patty, but not ALL of it... especially since we've apparently had problems supplying the troops with BASICS (IMO) like say.... body armor??? (I did see a thread that suggested they might be (somewhat) rectifying that after... oh, 4 YEARS! But that's not all of it.

And certainly it didn't HELP (financial/lives of our troops) matters any that Clinton had been NEGLECTING the military for 8 years prior... but that's STILL not ALL of it.

IMO the blame is on Clinton for the shoddy shape the military is in.
That said - there is NO difference between Republicans and Democrats when it comes down to spending or Big Government.
Pres. Bush stating that he will work to make it easier to deploy the US military within American borders after "natural disasters/terrorist attacks" mortified me.
This is the kind of stuff we should hear from Statist Liberals!!!
Hence why I ID myself as a conservative, not a Republican.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Oh please. While I am not a big fan of gay marriage, simply because I do not think that the tax benefits of marriage should be given to people who are not going to be bringing more future taxpayers into the world. to call it immoral to have sex with the person you are atttacted to is absurd.

I don't want to get in a long, stupid discussion, but it isn't absurd, seeing as how the guy who invented morals, God, said that it's immoral.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are spending a good bit,  but also things cost a heck of a lot more now than they did just 10 yrs ago.

They adjust for inflation... Economics major here. Even Fox news ran a article critisizing rampant republican spending, and just 4 weeks later Tom Delay said that the gov. had a "ongoing victory" against useless spending or something, . The reason why the gov can afford to spend so much right now is because its the future generations that's going to be paying for everything... And if countries decide to not use the US Dollar for stabilization like the scare that sent tremors through wall street early this year, we might be in a lot of trouble.

But for now, we're fine, everyone still loves the USD! Fuck the Euro!

PS. and that's one excuse (blaming inflation for gov spending increases i have never heard before... gonna remember it
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
are you sure he isn't a libertarian?

they're crazy too.

They may seem crazy on certain issues to you, but they're the only game in town now if you want smaller government. Republicans are every bit the part of big government that the Democrats are.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Clintoon did more than his share to gut the military.  Playing catch up is expensive. Real damn expensive.

You can't just say "Buy body armor for the troops" and it happens overnight. Lots of testing against threats the troops will face.

No Kacer, that's not all of it. But a pretty good start. Mothers and fathers want their kids protected. Major bucks will be spent to do it. Just like people whining that the Hummvee isn't armored enough. It was meant as a utility vehicle, not a combat patrol vehicle.

Both sides are guilty of their pet projects. I saw a report online about a 20 million something dollar project in Alaska to connect an island with 40 inhabitants to a larger island. Some pork projects are just plain criminal.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Why do you want to debate this person anyway?  Liberals get their crazy opinions from the news media, where 90-plus percent of publishers and media moguls are liberal.  My folks always told me that you can't reason with insane people.

If you insist, you could tell this person that Bush is forced to spend so much money to continue to feed the welfare rats that the Dems have created.  All of these welfare programs do nothing but keep people dependent on the federal government.

One thing I can't figure out is why a liberal is complaining about an increase in federal spending?  That is what they live for!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top