Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 7:52:44 AM EDT
So I'm taking this evening class (EMT) and during one of the breaks a couple of us are talking and cellphones come up... some of the older guys (myself included) go for the no frills service and keep the bills in line, the younger guys though must live on the damn things... one guy had a (monthly) bill of $400 and another AVERAGES $700 A MONTH.

That's not a cellphone bill, that's a mortgage...

How in the hell can someone rack up that much time in one month? I've got a plan that gives me something like 7000 minutes (spread over 4 phones) a month and I have never even gotten close to running over (and it's ~$100 a month)

Is there some sort o pay per pron thing on cellphones or just wth can someone do to get a bill that high???

* this has me so baffled I may have to add a poll *
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I pay $90 a month for two phones no frills with Sprint. I've often wondered how people can have that thing attached to their heads like that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, I would bet that 20-30 years down the road we are going to see an epidemic of brain problems (due to constant exposure to RF energy)

Man, when I was in college I could barely afford mac & cheese, and now kids are running $700 monthly phone bills???
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#3]
You'd shit if I told you what I pay.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#4]
That is retarded.  I have heard people(mostly girls) talking about bills in class and yes some say $100-$300 in overage charges.  I mean come on can you get any dumber.  I pay $85 split between myself and girlfriend for 1000 anytime and unlimited night and weekend through verizon.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#5]
$700 a month for a cell bill?

That's just plain retarded since most cell providers have unlimited service packages in the $200 a month range.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a phone for work.  It costs me nothing.

I wouldn't have one if I had a choice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I had two phones 800 minutes PCS to PCS calling and insurance on both of my phones from sprint It was $80 per month.  My g/f and I broke and the second line went insurance was dropped on her phone, and PCS to Pcs calling went and my bill went to $34.99
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#8]
We pay about $100/ month for 2 Nextels. I see the plans on TV for the "family" plans..dunno how much those actually run or how many minutes/ phones you are limited to..........I see these young kids with phones and its usually not a bottom line phone, its a phone with all the bells and doo-dads.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#9]
shitloads of text messages, sending pics doing everything but studying

and ofcourse mommy and daddy will pay for it

my folks and I have a shared family plan, and mom and dad used to be the culprits racking up the massive bills, mainly cause they didnt know when nights and weekends started

now that we have unlimited mobile to mobile, it never happens
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember years ago when if you drove 20 miles you were roaming, it was common for me to have $600+/ month cell phone bills.

Prices have dropped and competition between carriers has provided great coverage (mostly).

My bills are in the mid $200's for 3 phones and an internet card with Cingular. It is a great value for me and my company.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#11]
my job right now(im in college) is working for cingular in collections. Ive seen peoples bills as high as 10k. These are consumer, not commercial accounts...

people need to put the cellphone down....

My work phone is free, but I share a plan with my mom for 2 phone and it has been $87.00 for about  6 years.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Its $10/mo to add a line to a Verizon plan.  Dont be a moron and you'll never run out of minutes.  I think I can call anyone on Verizon's network at any time for free, so I dont worry about it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#13]
free baby.. all free...

< of course i work here so this might not count,, >
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
my job right now(im in college) is working for cingular in collections. Ive seen peoples bills as high as 10k. These are consumer, not commercial accounts...

I have friends with 20+ phone accts that are less than $3000/month, How can an individual have that kind of bill? It can't be for one month.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#15]
$700 a month is just insane!!! That IS a mortgage!!!

And people wonder how they got in debt...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
free baby.. all free...

< of course i work here so this might not count,, >

Almost what mine is. I could buy a case of beer a month for what I spend on my cell phone bill.
And last month we used 1,300+ minutes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#17]
$99.68 for three phones including local, long distance and roaming.  Nationwide use. We use the phones all the time and never get close to my maximum minutes.  

I don't have any kids on my phone account.    
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#18]
My bill is less than $50.

$700.00?!?!?!

I don't even have $50.00 worth of words to say, let alone $700.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#20]
you wonder how they rack up the min's ?  Try driving ANYWHER- seems that evry dumbass out there has to "drive" and talk- that shit should be banned.

speaking of brain damage...you think the phone is the problem?  Try the hundreds of thousands of cell towers putting out thousads of watts each/everywhere you go.  Just think- your body is absorbing every phone call it a several mile area- including pages and wireless internet too- lets not forget normal radio waves and million watt radars/weather radar oh and doppler.  

ZZZZZZZZAAAAAAPPPPP!!!!!!

I cant afford a GD cell phone and i see kids as young as like 6-10 having them...f-that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the $49 dollar Cingular plan. I get unlimited cingular to cingular and a butt-load of night and weekend minutes. I never come close to going over each month.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#22]
verizon

800 min family plan(2 phones total) for  $92 dollars after all the taxes and stuff

i think i can bump up the minutes to 1400 if i sign a 1 year agreement.   no thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Makes no sense to me.  Most plans have free nights/weekends so if they are racking up $700 for the month, it must mean they are yakking during normal business/school hours in ADDITION to nights/weekends.  What do these people have to talk about?

I have the Verizon 400 min plan (plus free nites and weekends) and I barely use 60 minutes per month.  

I have to add about $5 to my bill every month because a lot of my friends are addicted to text messages.  I have to pay for each incoming/outgoing text message.  Why can't they pick up the phone and call?  

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So I'm taking this evening class (EMT) and during one of the breaks a couple of us are talking and cellphones come up... some of the older guys (myself included) go for the no frills service and keep the bills in line, the younger guys though must live on the damn things... one guy had a (monthly) bill of $400 and another AVERAGES $700 A MONTH.

That's not a cellphone bill, that's a mortgage...

How in the hell can someone rack up that much time in one month? I've got a plan that gives me something like 7000 minutes (spread over 4 phones) a month and I have never even gotten close to running over (and it's ~$100 a month)

Is there some sort o pay per pron thing on cellphones or just wth can someone do to get a bill that high???

* this has me so baffled I may have to add a poll *

It is all about priorities.  Many people that I have seen in traffic stops have cigarettes, cell phones, tattoos, multiple piercings, and NO FUCKING CAR INSURANCE.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#25]
When mommy and daddy are footing the bill so their little baby can call home anytime..."just in case"....
and when wife says to hubby..."what if we need to contact her right away, she needs a cell phone and we'll pay for it"....that's how the kids do it today.... and its not college kids either.... I took my wife to the movies the other night and I bet the majority of the kids that were 18 and under had cell phones.
Brain problems from RF....LOL....don't forget the bent arm sydrome...from holding the cell phone up to the ear... how in the world did I grow up without these dam things
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#26]
$27.45 a month, the Cingular $29.99/month plan that has 250 anytime/2000 N and weekends plan, free roaming, LD, phone mail, etc with a small corporate discount thrown in
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I have the $49 dollar Cingular plan. I get unlimited cingular to cingular and a butt-load of night and weekend minutes. I never come close to going over each month.

Same here.  With the rollover feature you end up with more accumulated minutes than you could ever use...

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I had a plan with T-Mobile where I was charged a base fee of $5 plus 8 cents per minute with no free minutes.  My bill was about $12/month.

I finally got tired of their service gaps, and my wife was using Verizon, so I switched to Verizon and joined her plan.  Now we pay $70/month for two phones and 400 minutes.  We use about 40 minutes per month.  I can't wait until our contracts are up, so we can switch to pre-paid phones.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Tracfone.  Less than $20/mo average.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I DON'T have a cell phone of any kind. And I don't feel like I need one either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Mine is ~$70 for two phones and an assload of minutes. Still on an old AT&T Wireless plan through Cingular.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I DON'T have a cell phone of any kind. And I don't feel like I need one either.

I felt that way until my car broke down and I was hosed, finally hitched a ride to a store that had a pay phone, had to get change for a dollar, couldn't remember people's phone numbers, and a lot of them are unlisted in the phone book, the next day I got a cell phone for such emergencies.  A year later dropped my land line and got a better cell phone plan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top