Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 7:06:21 AM EDT

What kind of internet speed what I get from this, coming off of cable broadband to a laptop through a couple walls?

www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?&ref=cj&pfp=cj&product_code=310155

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What kind of internet speed what I get from this, coming off of cable broadband to a laptop through a couple walls?

image.compusa.com/prodimages/47/c38461f7-d57e-4349-ac2b-8039e1b0741f.gif

Hard to say… depends on the wall construction and distance. If normal stick and wall board construction maybe the full 54kbs, if plaster and wire latte much less.

But you should get speeds much faster than your Internet connection and at that price you can afford a good antenna to boast the signal if needed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hard to say… depends on the wall construction and distance. If normal stick and wall board construction maybe the full 54kbs, if plaster and wire latte much less.

But you should get speeds much faster than your Internet connection and at that price you can afford a good antenna to boast the signal if needed.

How does the laptop "lock on" to the frequencies?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#3]
the internet would go the same speed.  File transfer over a network you would definatley see a speed decrease.    
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Your internet speed will not go up at all.

Just your Lan speeds. If having a high speed Lan is important to you. I uses a gig Lan at home becuase I have 5 computers networked and have zero patience when I transfer files from computer to computer. I sometimes move over 30Gb of data from one to another. Even at 100mbs it spainfully slow. I cannot imagine it at anything like 54. I have it all  hard wired except for my laptop.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does the laptop "lock on" to the frequencies?

You set up the router… pick the channel you want to use, set up encryptions, ect.

The software either in Window XP or that comes with the laptop card scans for access points (wireless router) in range and you pick your router if more than one is available. You will have to set up the encryption ect. to match your router.

The set up CD that comes with the router/card will automate this process… but you usually need to tweek or set up the security and encryption functions of the router yourself… do not neglect this. It ain't rocket science but if you need help many people here can help.

From then on when you turn on the computer it will be pretty much automatic.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just your Lan speeds. If having a high speed Lan is important to you. I uses a gig Lan at home becuase I have 5 computers networked and have zero patience when I transfer files from computer to computer. I sometimes move over 30Gb of data from one to another. Even at 100mbs it spainfully slow. I cannot imagine it at anything like 54. I have it all  hard wired except for my laptop.

You need Giagbyte Ethernet... it is a wonderous thing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I, my brother in law, my mother in law, my friend Rodney and a couple other folks have that same netgear setup. We are all happy with the speed.

ETA: But you can get some very good deals on it if you shop around. Newegg, Office Depot, Staples, Office Max all sell it. If you get on their mailing lists you can get 20% off coupons + rebates.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need Giagbythe Ethernet... it is a wonderous thing.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Most routers will default to ch 6, right in the middle of the ch 1-ch11 band.  My neighbor's router is on ch 6, so my router would jump to other frequencies, then my computers would have to find it, which after a few minutes it would.  This caused problems until I just set my router to a channel other than 6.

Your router has a network name that your computer will look for.  For example, it may be "default" or "linksys" or a name of your chosing, "JoesRouter", that you have entered into your router.  When you do a "site survey" with your computer you will see, for example, "default" (your neighbor's D-Link), "linksys" (your other neighbor's Linksys), or "JoesRouter" (yours).

You click on "JoesRouter" and click Connect To.  Your computer will lock onto that regardless of its frequency.

Perhaps "default" (neighbor 1) and "linksys" (neighbor 2) are both on ch 6, their factory set channel.  They don't fight for frequency because they are each too far away to interfere with each other.  However you are right in the middle.  So, if you allow your router to be on ch 6, it will get interference from both and try to change.  So, pick a channel, any channel, as long as it is not ch 6 and hard enter that into your router.  This will be done during the setup wizard.

Remember, you should always do your router setup with an ethernet cable, not wirelessly!!!  If you screw something up, you can't communicate with your router.

Any user names or passwords, network names, etc you use, make note of.

First get it all working without encryption.  When you have it going like that, then go back and set up encryption.  Have the manual in hand and make notes as you go... again, hardwired, not wireless when you do this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top