Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 6:45:42 AM EDT
And does corn have anything to do with corned beef?

They are both a beef roast, but beyond that, how is that stuff made?  Could someone make pastrami at home?

Yes, I did just get some pastrami and corned beef from the deli.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#1]
"Corn" means corning - a term used to describe the pickling process using brine to "cure" the meat in corned beef.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy.

Love Pastrami and Corned beef - damnit, now I need a Ruben!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Soaked in salt water, I think.

Reuben sandwiches=proof god loves us
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"Corn" means corning - a term used to describe the pickling process using brine to "cure" the meat in corned beef.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy.

Me too, except that I am hogging down freshly made corn muffins right out of the oven.  I will grill up a Reuben on some jewish rye for lunch.

If pastrami can be made at home I will be 400 lbs. by mid 2006.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Can I get a HELL YEAH, brother?

Piled high with swiss cheese, fresh saurkruat, horseradish, spicy mustard, on a steamed Pumpernickle roll, with a nice german beer.

Heaven!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy.

Me too, except that I am hogging down freshly made corn muffins right out of the oven.  I will grill up a Reuben on some jewish rye for lunch.

If pastrami can be made at home I will be 400 lbs. by mid 2006.

A man with a goal - gotta respect that!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Piled high with swiss cheese, fresh saurkruat, horseradish, spicy mustard, on a steamed Pumpernickle roll, with a nice german beer.

Heaven!

Mustard? Horseradish?  The sauce is thousand Island , or Russian if you're an originalist.  But I haven't seen Russian salad dressing since I was 10 years old.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heaven!

+.9bar!!!!

Except I prefer the rye bread.  But I love Pumpernickle too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Reubens have regional modifications.  I've tried them in many places.  I prefer the Thousand Island/Russian version, but horseradish sounds good.  Anything mustard makes me heave, must be some bad childhood experience or something.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#9]
There is only one way to enjoy pastrami, on rye, with brown mustard.  Unless of course you want to kill a great sammich.

make your own pastrami
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Ah fish 223, I see that pastrami IS corned beef that has also been smoked, AND that it CAN be made at home.

I'm screwed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#11]
What's that famous deli in NYC, famous for its pastrami?  I'm going there someday.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What's that famous deli in NYC, famous for its pastrami?  I'm going there someday.

That would be 'Stage Deli', I think its called.  Been there on two different trips and the friggin pastrami is heaven.  A rueben there is a two day sandwich!!!

Both times there was a short wait to get in, but well worth it.
Try it, you'll like it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be 'Stage Deli', I think its called.  Been there on two different trips and the friggin pastrami is heaven.  A rueben there is a two day sandwich!!!

Both times there was a short wait to get in, but well worth it.
Try it, you'll like it.

No, I dont think that's it.  I've only heard about it on the interweb, and their big thing is just a plain pastrami sandwich, only it's like a fricking half-pound of meat.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Carnegie Deli?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#15]
It's Katz's deli, people.  The one and only.  Carnegie and stage can't compare, not even in the same league.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's Katz's deli, people.  The one and only.  Carnegie and stage can't compare, not even in the same league.

I must defer to the man with the Yankee accent
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That's it, thank you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#18]
How are pastrami and corned beef made?

Easy:

Bread
Pastrami
Corned Beef
Bread

If you want you can make it as follows:

Bread
Pastrami
Swiss cheese
Corned Beef
Coleslaw
Bread

Duh.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I gotta try this one soon....
Pastrami!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#20]
It's Katz Deli. Wasn't the owner killed in a robbery around 2000?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought it came from the brisket, not the roast........non the less I want one now!  YUM!! Patty
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's Katz Deli. Wasn't the owner killed in a robbery around 2000?

You are thinking of the Carnegie deli murders, when the actress Jennifer Stahl was shot to death, along with  2 others killed, and 2 more wounded, in an apartment over the deli in a drug deal gone bad.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#23]
OK, a little NYer perspective:

The best corned beef and pastrami, far superior to any other, is Katz's deli on Houston.  Katz's is also the deli in the "orgasm" scene from When Harry Met Sally.  ("I'll have what she's having!")

Another notable source is the 2nd Avenue deli, whose owner, Abe Lebewohl, was murdered some years ago.

Another famous deli is the Carnegie deli, which is not as good as the above two but serves giant sandwiches.  The apartments above the Carnegie deli were the scene of the May, 2001 triple murder involving Jennifer Stahl when another dealer named Sean Salley shot her and two others and wounded two more.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Id trade all the sandwiches from Katz s, Carnegie, Stage, Deli Masters, Bens Kosher and Pastrami King for a damn Concealed Carry Permit, now thats something that you cant find in NY !!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#25]
easy stuff to make at home. Ya need Prague powder #1(available from any online sausage making store)or locally with mortons tender quick. Make sure you READ and UNDERSTAND the usage of these products(cures) first before usage. This is very important here, but not hard to use but too much ain't a good thing(sickness/death/etc ;). This is what gives you the distinctive pink tinge to the end product. Also a meat injector will help in the curing.

Both are soaked in a corning brine of salt and aromatics including pepper(corns) for a number of days. After curing, corned beef is cooked in a liquid. Pastrami is  rubbed down with cracked peppercorns and coriander, smoked at a low temp, then steamed.

Best cut most people can find is brisket, plate is used by many delis.

This is a general overview of the process. If you'd like recipes im me or i can recommend a few books on the art of charcuterie. I will stress again the importance of understanding the use of cures and measuring them accurately-not to discourage you,if ya can reload ya can cure.

P.S. best shit you'll get is the stuff you made.

hth
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top