Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 5:00:04 AM EDT
I was going to post this in the Rita thread, but, what the heck, start a new one.

For a long time now, I have been of the opinion that if something truely  bad happened.. such as a really massive natural disaster or a financial collapse of the country; there is a LARGE portion of society would would perish from their own ineptitude and lack of self-determination.

Essentially, society is overburdened with leeches and incompetents that have only been allowed to survive becuase of the verneer of civilization and a government that keeps them on a long term "life-support".

ETA:

What I see is a precursor and a warning to thinking people to prepare for a coming collapse and as the title alludes to, only the strong and prepared with survive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:09:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#2]
the goal is to keep yourself alive unitl these people manage to kill each other off.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#3]
True, one of the failures of 'society' is that it defeats the darwinian aspect of survival.  We as a society spend a lot of time keeping the weak and stupid alive and well, (breeding more weak and stupids).  

If the crutch of Gov. was kicked away, for good.  How many of these would be able to survive?  

For me, the knowlege that if the Gov. crutch is kicked away, my family will be fine, is no small comfort.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember seeing this thing on Discovery or some such about a genetic bottle-neck a LONG time ago, 70,000 years ago.  Society and human populations has cycles too, according to natures whims.... It has a high probablility of having happened before and a VERY high possiblility of happening again.

From Wikipedia:

DNA evidence suggests that humans today are a legacy of a population bottleneck which occurred 70,000 years ago. This would have had the result of limiting the overall level of genetic diversity in the human species, possibly by a large amount. The evidence that all living humans are descended from fewer than ten thousand people alive at that time comes both from mitochondrial DNA coalescence, and the relatively small variations in the human Y chromosome.

One theory about this bottleneck is the Toba catastrophe theory, positing that the human population was reduced to a few thousand individuals when the Toba supervolcano in Indonesia erupted and triggered a massive environmental change.

In 2000, a Molecular Biology and Evolution paper suggested a transplanting model or a 'long bottleneck' to account for the limited genetic variation, rather than a catastrophic environmental change. (See "Population Bottlenecks and Pleistocene Human Evolution".)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top