Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 9:40:54 PM EDT
Spano Wants Sex Offenders Watched
(09.28.05- AP) — High-level sex offenders who use Westchester County's homeless shelters will soon be followed wherever they go so they can't hurt anyone else, County Executive Andrew Spano said Wednesday.

Shopping, working or just walking around, they will be shadowed by trained monitors and "will never be left to wander the streets alone," Spano said.

His announcement seemed to address two major controversies involving the homeless: Valhalla residents' objections to plans for a homeless shelter there and the killing of a woman by a homeless sex offender in a shopping mall garage in White Plains.

Spano, who is running for re-election, denied his new plan was politically motivated; he claimed leadership in keeping track of sex offenders, citing a program he announced in April under which parolees are tracked by global positioning bracelets. But his Republican opponent, county Legislator Robert Astorino, claimed the new proposal should have been implemented long ago and resembled an Astorino proposal of three months ago.

Spano said his program would not be needed if there were a state civil confinement law, like the measure bottled up in the state Assembly, that would evaluate imprisoned offenders before they are released to see if they remain dangerous.

"We cannot wait for Albany to act on sex offenders," he said. "I can do what's in my power to do."

The program, to begin Oct. 1, would cover all Level 3 sex offenders — the worst of those registered — in the county shelter system and any Level 2 offenders whose victims were children, Spano said. Six of the 350 current shelter residents meet those criteria, he said.

If they refuse, they will be evicted from the shelter, he said.

Philip Grant, the homeless convicted rapist who is accused of killing Concetta Russo-Carriero in the Galleria shopping mall garage in June, would not have been covered because he had previously been evicted from the shelter system, although he did use the overnight drop-in system.

Spano said there are 470 other registered sex offenders in the county who are not in the shelter system and therefore would not be covered.

Kevin Mahon, the county's social services commissioner, estimated the cost of the monitoring program at $500,000 a year, half of which he expects to get back from the state.

Under the program, the homeless sex offender would get mandatory counseling and training or education and would be under observation at all times in the shelter.

Whenever the homeless sex offender left the shelter, he would get a monitor, assigned to stay "in close proximity and visual range," said county police Commissioner Thomas Belfiore.

"They'll have a buddy," Spano said.

The monitor would call police if any dangerous situation arose, Belfiore said, and would report any violations of parole.

"We're hoping that it is very boring," he said, and that the monitors and their subjects would eventually develop working relationships
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
How about keep them in jail where they belong?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard that they made great advancements to GPS that would cost less than half a Mill a year.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Where do I apply and can I carry a rifle and when can I shoot him?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've heard that they made great advancements to GPS that would cost less than half a Mill a year.

Yes its called jail.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be more then happy to give the state $14.00 to buy a box of .357 bullets to help get rid of the problem.  That would kill 50 of them and we would have no need to "watch" them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top