BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 7:57:57 PM EDT
Air America Asks For Donations
September 27, 2005
By Katy Bachman
www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001181556
In an unusual move for commercial radio, Air America Radio quietly launched Sept. 21 a loyalty program that includes asking for donations from listeners, a strategy more common to noncommercial stations and political action committees.

According to the network’s Web site, listeners become an “Air America Associate” by making a cash donation to the network.

A spokesperson said the program, modeled after The Nation magazine’s associates program, was developed in response to requests from its listeners “to spread the word about [AAR] programming.”

Since Air America launched in March 2004, the network has signed 70 affiliates, but has not had an easy time getting a financial foothold, bouncing checks during the initial launch period. Recently, the network had to repay $875,000 to the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club, which helped fund the start-up network.

“We know we can’t achieve this next stage of growth without significant help from you, our loyal listeners,” said the network in an email to supporters.

For $50, listeners get three AAR bumper stickers that read, “I’m building Air America Radio.” For $100, listeners get three bumper stickers plus a tote bag. At $250, listeners also get a personal mention of thanks on the AAR web site and on the air.

Lower cash amounts gifts receive a monthly Associates insider email with news from the network’s shows and invitations to meet hosts and “progressive leaders” in the listener’s community.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Honestly, I should donate.  "Majority Report" has replaced Slayer's "Reign in Blood" as my evening road rage listening.

SBG
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]

At $250, listeners also get a personal mention of thanks on the AAR web site and on the air.

I'm in for $25.00 if anyone wants to put-together a good group name to have thanked on the air!

Eric  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#3]

“We know we can’t achieve this next stage of growth without significant help from you, our loyal listeners,” said the network in an email to supporters.

The "next stage of growth" is the one where they don't go tits up...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]
It's all Dubya's Fault!

Are the DUm-DUm's blaming him for this yet?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Neal Boortz challenged everybody to contribute to it.  He gave 'em $100.  He's afraid if they fail that the Libs will be able to shut down or cause harm to the other talk radio shows around election time.

Link to Boortz --  

LET'S HELP OUT AIR AMERICA

Air America is in trouble.  Tonight on the O'Reilly Factor we'll hear that Air America may well be on it's last legs financially.  Seriously, I think that this is a bad thing.

Here is a liberal talk radio network that used money pilfered from a Boys and Girls Club in New York City to begin operations.  Now they have to beg for money over the Internet to stay afloat?  I thought they were doing so well!  I thought the ratings were so sensational!  Isn't that what we've been hearing from the mainstream media?

Why is the impending collapse of Air America a bad thing?  Because I absolutely drop-dead guarantee you that if Air America fails it will only be a matter of days, perhaps weeks, before Democrats in congress start talking about resurrecting the Fairness Doctrine.  Bear in mind, there is nothing "fair" about the Fairness Doctrine. It is nothing more than a ploy to shut down opinions on talk radio.  As long as there is a liberal talk radio network out there it's hard for the left to scream that they aren't being heard, that the right controls talk radio.  Let Air America fail and it will suddenly be the fault of right-wing "hate" radio.  Air America provides needed cover for the rest of talk radio, and it must be preserved.

Here is a link that Air America has posted for donations. I, for one, am going to pledge some money to keep Air America afloat.  I'm doing this to preserve the free and open talk radio format.  I'm also doing this so that no more Boys and Girls Clubs will be looted.  So ... hold your nose and dive on in!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

At $250, listeners also get a personal mention of thanks on the AAR web site and on the air.

I'm in for $25.00 if anyone wants to put-together a good group name to have thanked on the air!

Eric  

Hmmmm...........
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/26890.htm

MORE HEADS ROLL IN RADIO LOAN SCANDAL

By TOM TOPOUSIS and STEPHANIE GASKELL
August 11, 2005 -- The Bronx social-services organization that made a controversial loan to the Air America radio network has been rocked by more high-level staff departures, sources said.
Just days after the executive director abruptly resigned following Post reports that the club had provided $875,000 in bizarre loans to Air America, two other top officials at the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club have quit.

Acting executive director Lorraine Corva — who took over after Charles Rosen suddenly resigned last week — will be leaving her job on Aug. 26, sources said.

Assistant executive director Jeff Aulenback also resigned, effective immediately, sources said.

Their departures from the embattled social-services agency are tied to the ongoing fallout from the highly unusual and possibly improper loan to Air America, as well as other dubious fiscal practices, sources said.

A spokesman for the club declined to comment on why the two were leaving.

Corva made $181,000 a year, and Aulenback was taking home more than $150,000 annually, accord- ing to recent records.

A board member at Gloria Wise, which is struggling to stay afloat and has scaled back its programs for kids, has told The Post that the board was hoodwinked by Rosen into making the highly unusual loans to Air America.

The Boys & Girls Club is funded almost entirely from grants and government contracts.

"We're not commenting on anything right now because of the delicate nature of negotiations to get the money back" from Air America, said spokesman Jim Grossman.

The left-wing radio network, which showcases Al Franken, last Friday made a $50,000 repayment on the loan to an escrow account controlled by the station's lawyer.

"The [city] Department of Investigation advised Air America to repay $875,000 into an escrow account from which no money can be disbursed without our approval," said DOI spokeswoman Emily Gest.

"Air America has not followed that recommendation."

But an Air America official told The Post yesterday that both sides had agreed to a payment plan months ago and that they were on schedule with their payments.

That was news to the Boys & Girls Club. "Air America has agreed in principle to give the money, but nothing has been finalized yet," Grossman said yesterday.

"They haven't agreed how and when to do it."

Along with the DOI,state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer also opened an investigation into the case.

A representative from Spitzer's office visited the Boys & Girls Club last week, but so far Air America has not been contacted by the AG's Office, a network official said yesterday
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/26890.htm

MORE HEADS ROLL IN RADIO LOAN SCANDAL.............

A spokesman for the club declined to comment on why the two were leaving

Heh, what a stunning record of success for the highly vaunted liberal radio flagship...........
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Neal Boortz challenged everybody to contribute to it.  He gave 'em $100.  He's afraid if they fail that the Libs will be able to shut down or cause harm to the other talk radio shows around election time.

I disagree - If the network survives, leftists will always be able to point to its "success" as an example of the viability of
"progressive" talk radio.

Let it die a slow, very public death. In a Republican-controlled congress, we should have no problem dealing with any "Fairness Doctrine" bullshit that might follow as a consequence.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree - If the network survives, leftists will always be able to point to its "success" as an example of the viability of
"progressive" talk radio.

Let it die a slow, very public death. In a Republican-controlled congress, we should have no problem dealing with any "Fairness Doctrine" bullshit that might follow as a consequence.

The repubs have proven their impotence in dealing with any dem problems
they have the house, senate and White House........they are still having trouble "performing"

But, I agree.........let those crooked lying conmen drive their station all the way out of business
and I hope they get the prison terms that they deserve, too bad the nytimes can't go with them
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to make a donation...
Here's some ratshit for their on-air "personalities" to nibble on...

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a better idea:

Let’s all chip in $100 worth of Kool-Aid® each!

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a better idea:

Let’s all chip in $100 worth of Kool-Aid® each!

www.scripting.com/images/koolAidPacketGrape.gif

I thought about it, I cannot see donating any money to them even as a joke
but, kool-aid packets........I could see my way clear to sending them some kool-aid
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:43:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Mail them a penny. They'll love it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#15]
How is this any different than what NPR does...........except that NPR gets assistance from taxpayer dollars.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:01:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How is this any different than what NPR does...........except that NPR gets assistance from taxpayer dollars.

Apparently so does Air America!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Can you imagine Rush ever doing this?  He'd probably kill himself before it ever came to this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Mail them a penny. They'll love it.

Make it 3 single, grubby dollar bills - as nasty as you can find - enclose them with the following letter (handwritten, pencil on torn/dirty paper) and see how much of it they read on the air.

Dear ***,

I could not belif it when I heard Air America was having to ask for donations. I sed to my missus those sonsa bitches have kiled us now they gonna kill are only moutpeace to. That aint right. These tite ass Repub cocksockers hav let Louisiana get killed, black white cajun and chinese and no body gives a half a shit.

As I sit hear writting this I am garding what little I have left with a shottgun from looters they are mostly wite like me the cocksockers. All I oan fits in my kids red wagon but fuck all that I want the truth told so hear is three 3 dollar. Do not wurry about us we have 9 dollar left and we love the truth. God bless you all, and fuck the cocksockers evry chance you get.

Lamar Boudreaux
(use to be) Black Bayou, Louisiana

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

And except NPR is listenable. I could imagine donating to NPR.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd donate, but I think mailing a turd would be in violation of some health and postal codes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top